Tennis Forum banner
21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
16,020 Posts
Muchova when she's fit plays very smart tennis.
I think Muchova is crafty but I would not name her among 'the smartest on court', I remember witnessing her stubbornly going for that flashy inside out early-struck forehand for the 5th time across 2 games despite already missing them all. I think Badosa's tennis intelligence is her most underrated weapon. Even though she can hit the cover off the ball she knows how to use it. She's aware that it can often turn against you for starters even if you won't miss.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Easy answer, Osaka, Barty, Barb and Emma.

All players focus and build up to slams, and who does that and peaks at a slam and tailors their game to win said slam and the conditions that exist are the smart ones

·
Registered
773 Posts
Ashley and Simona are the two top of mind mentions.

But apart from that there are other players who are good tacticians. Like for example: Kerber, Krejcikova, Sevastova, Mertens, Vondrousova.
Not trying to being cantankerous, but what adjustments or smarts does Simona show? To me she has one of the most ‘Plan A’ game on tour. Which is why she can get exposed when it’s not working.

that’s not to say her plan A isn’t good, but where’s the smart part?

Reactions: Ma-Tennis

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
Not trying to being cantankerous, but what adjustments or smarts does Simona show? To me she has one of the most ‘Plan A’ game on tour. Which is why she can get exposed when it’s not working.

that’s not to say her plan A isn’t good, but where’s the smart part?
A lot of them ... Simona always changes her game plan when things go wrong . She either tries to hit flatter and harder , she tries to put in higher balls and push , she changes the angles and plays more down the middle if she has to .
Also from opponent to opponent she comes up with a different game plan . Whether it’s to hit way more to the backhand vs the forehand , or to try to hit softer , or to attack more .
She always has a plan B . Her problem is when someone is playing at their best there is nothing she can do but that’s another discussion .

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
Vondrousova.

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Halep, Barty, and Kerber come to mind among the established veterans. Krejcikova this year for sure, she does not beat herself....also Pegula. I really like how Fernandez and Raducanu play....but too early to put them in this group obviously. They appear to have a brain out there though. I would have put Kenin in the first group going into 2021.....but damn girl!

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
I think Ostapenko
In a perverted way you are right. Ostapenko is a player of such low class that there is no level to which she she not sink to in an attempt to throw off her opponent. So, from that perspective I guess you could say she is "smart". Totally contemptible....but smart nevertheless. I guess this is what you meant. :rolleyes:

21 - 40 of 80 Posts