Tennis Forum banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
10,848 Posts
irma said:
steffi has lost to 56 players in total if I counted right (including qualifications in 83), of course exhibitions and walkovers don't count (walkovers I mean not when she retired during the match like in her last one)
And one of those players she lost to in 1983 was to forgotten American Melissa Brown at the French Open qualies.......

·
Registered
10,848 Posts
RMC said:
rambling thought...

Isn't it amazing that we are all surprised by how many people Steffi lost to, and yet she has that amazing record? I suppose most of her losses were at the two ends of her career.

I wonder if it will be possible for any current players to win as many grand slams as Steffi, and still have lost to such a myriad of players??

rambling thought...

Didn't Steffi beat Martina N. in the finals of Wimbledon, right before Martina N retired? That seems like just yesterday. I remember thinking how odd it seemed that Martina felt she had to retire after making it to the finals.
:lol: :lol: :lol: ok if you say so :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
19,165 Posts
for-sure said:
Anna beat Davenport ,Hingis and Monica before (all near their primes)
When Anna beat Lindsay at the Lipton in 1998, Lindsay practically gave up in the 3rd set with her negative attitude. :( When Anna beat Hingis in Berlin, Martina said she would have lost to anyone that day. ;) :devil: When Anna beat Monica, Monica was completely out-of-shape, returning from injury and tending to her dying father.

I would hardly call any of them being near their primes when Anna beat them. A case could be made for Hingis and Davenport (#1 and #2 for the year and GS champions in 1998), but Seles was nowhere near her prime. And all of them weren't playing their best tennis when they lost to Anna.

Not trying to diss Anna. Just want to clarify that they were not near their prime when losing to Anna.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
that was at the us open qualifing. steffi reached the second round of the french open in 83 (isn't that funny that miss I suck on clay couldn't reach the maindraw at wimbledon and the us open and still won a match in the maindraw at the french open when she was still 13;))

I think steffi winning a match at 13 at the french open is still a record too
can't see any player who beat that (and yeah I realize most didn't play at 13 either. I think only mary joe did)

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
I wish I could capture and post some rallies between Steffi and Venus at the Miami SF. They were brilliant, especially in the second set. The rallies got as high as about 26-28 strokes. Unfortunately for Steffi, Venus was winning all of them :sad:

Have to remember to ask my good friend Infiniti2001 to make a few clips of the rallies and post them.

·
Registered
334 Posts
"I won a point off her once" :tape:

·
Registered
47,640 Posts
Knizzle said:
I wish I could capture and post some rallies between Steffi and Venus at the Miami SF. They were brilliant, especially in the second set. The rallies got as high as about 26-28 strokes. Unfortunately for Steffi, Venus was winning all of them :sad:

Have to remember to ask my good friend Infiniti2001 to make a few clips of the rallies and post them.
Great, great match....and her match against Serena at IW wasn´t shabby either!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hingis-Seles....dissing Kournikova is exactly what you did, and what you intended to do.

Monica Seles' dad didn't die until after that...correct?
Davenport was #2 in the world.
Hingis was #1 when she beat her.

This means they were on their prime...how much of a prime can you get than #1....I don't know.....

Lay off dissing Kournikova. She was very respectable during those years...and believe me....she'll make another run.

·
Registered
22,126 Posts
Venus Williams vs Steffi Graf

QF Wimbledon July 4 1999 S Graf(2) - V Williams(6) 6-2 3-6 6-4
SF Key Bisc. Mar 28 1999 V Williams(6) - S Graf(7) 6-2 6-4
SF Hannover Feb 21 1999 V Williams(2) - S Graf(3) 3-6 6-3 6-3
QF Sydney Jan 17 1999 S Graf(6) - V Williams(4) 4-6 6-2 6-4
3 L. Angeles Aug 18 1996 S Graf(1) - V Williams-WC 6-4 6-4

I wish I had these matches on tape!

·
Registered
19,165 Posts
supah-fly said:
Hingis-Seles....dissing Kournikova is exactly what you did, and what you intended to do.

Monica Seles' dad didn't die until after that...correct?
Davenport was #2 in the world.
Hingis was #1 when she beat her.

This means they were on their prime...how much of a prime can you get than #1....I don't know.....

Lay off dissing Kournikova. She was very respectable during those years...and believe me....she'll make another run.
Oh good God. Another rabid fan. :rolleyes:

Firstly, I'm not trying to diss Anna K. If you can't comprehend that, tough shit.

Secondly, the truth is that Miami was Monica's first tourney in 1998. She was returning from an injury lay-off, was unfit and not match tough. Her dad did not need to die for her to be in poor frame of mind mentally. The fact that he was on his deathbed was traumatic enough.

Lindsay was #2 when Anna beat her in Miami but not a Slam champion yet. If I were you, I would have cited Anna's win over Lindsay at Amelia Island in 1999 as a legit win. Some fan. :lol:

As for Ms.Hingis, she was #1 and after she lost the match, she herself said she would have lost to anyone that day the way she was playing. :lol: I didn't say anything. Martina was the one who made that comment. Go Martina! :devil:

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
Monica only played in spring 98 because that was her fathers biggest wish. That's why she even played in Rome a week before he died. And second seeing somebody dying and having a lot of pain is maybe even worse then when it's actual over (well I can imagine that. I have no personal experience)

Steffi was not in her prime in summer 98 either. Even when people want to believe that :eek:

but of course Anna's wins are legit. Monica and Steffi both showed up. Anna still had to play great tennis to beat 91 ranked Steffi. She had not beaten Steffi with the level she showed in their next match at the french;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hingis-Seles...take a hike!

I don't see why you have to have excuses for the players that Kournikova beat.

Nobody else is making excuses of the times Steffi was beaten....it was only your post that pissed me off because you were justifying every win Anna had...and you were not exactly complimenting her.

A win is a win. Get over it.

PS: I am sorry....but I dont' have the time to sit here and cite every single match in which Anna beat a top player ok...I have much more important things to do than prove a point to a person I dont even know.

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
Andy T said:
Come off it Pam, don't be modest: you beat her three times, and you have a winning record against her on carpet courts! The times you lost, you really shouldn't have been playing because you had injury problems, or illnesses like a cough, bronchitis, rabies, or something and then there were the times when you were having family problems as well. Even, then, Steffi had to play her best to beat you. I mean, if you had been ok, you would have won them all. Everyone knows that!

1985 Wimbledon Grass (O) 16 Pam SHRIVER 6-3 2-6 4-6
1985 US Open Hard (O) QF Steffi GRAF 7-6(4) 6-7(4) 7-6(4)
1985 Filderstadt Carpet (I) SF Pam SHRIVER 4-6 3-6
1986 Virginia Slims Championships Carpet (I) QF Steffi GRAF 4-6 7-6 6-3
1987 Boca Raton Hard (O) SF Steffi GRAF 6-4 6-3
1987 Wimbledon Grass (O) SF Steffi GRAF 6-0 6-2
1987 US Open Hard (O) QF Steffi GRAF 6-4 6-3
1988 Boca Raton Hard (O) SF Steffi GRAF 6-4 4-6 7-6
1988 Wimbledon Grass (O) SF Steffi GRAF 6-1 6-2
1988 Virginia Slims Championships Carpet (I) SF Pam SHRIVER 3-6 6-7
1992 US Open Hard (O) 64 Steffi GRAF 7-5 6-3
1993 Philadelphia Carpet (I) 16 Steffi GRAF 6-1 6-3
I was waiting for someone to point this out! The rare times Steffi managed to scrape wins over me were blatent flukes. Or I felt sorry for her.

:p

·
Registered
274 Posts
I famously never beat Steffi :mad: :fiery:

However the full story behind my recorde against Steffi has never been explained properly. Here is le real story!

Steffi GRAF (GER) v Nathalie TAUZIAT (FRA)

1986 Zurich Carpet (I) 32 Steffi GRAF 6-1 6-2
*I was still mentally recovering from my QF at Hilversum in the summer

1987 German Open Clay (O) QF Steffi GRAF 6-2 6-1
*I had break points in all of her service games, but the Germans :mad: cheated to let her win!

1988 San Antonio Hard (O) QF Steffi GRAF 6-3 6-2
*Steffi's father was giving her the hand signals from the stands :fiery:

1988 Boca Raton Hard (O) 16 Steffi GRAF 6-2 6-1
*Boca Raton = Time of the month! :mad:

1988 French Open Clay (O) 16 Steffi GRAF 6-1 6-3
*Ah it was the first week in June, which means it was Regis's anniversaire! I did not recover in time for this match

1988 Mahwah Hard (O) FR Steffi GRAF 6-0 6-1
*I was told by someone in crowd "Nathalie, Mahwah is an exhibtion event" it was not until later I find out it was not!

1988 Brighton Carpet (I) QF Steffi GRAF 6-3 6-2
*Brighton = Time of the month! :mad:

1990 French Open Clay (O) 16 Steffi GRAF 6-1 6-4
*Again, Regis's birthday. Could not miss the party the night beofre this match.

1990 Canadian Open Hard (O) SF Steffi GRAF 6-2 6-2
*I injured my foot the night before in a freak accident - Heidi Graf tried to swerve but kept coming head on!

1990 San Diego Hard (O) QF Steffi GRAF 6-3 6-2
*I had a sore foot still :sad:

1990 Zurich Carpet (I) QF Steffi GRAF 6-4 6-1
*I had won my first event in Bayonne. I was not caring about this match. We all know Bayonne more prestigious non?

1990 Brighton Carpet (I) QF Steffi GRAF 6-2 6-4
*Brighton - Time of the month! :mad:

1991 Boca Raton Hard (O) SF Steffi GRAF 6-1 6-2
*Boca Raton - Time of the month! :mad:

1991 French Open Clay (O) QF Steffi GRAF 6-3 6-2
*Roland Garros? ......ah Regis's anniversaire naturellement!

1991 Zurich Carpet (I) FR Steffi GRAF 6-4 6-4
*I was still in shock after beating Gaby an actual top 10 player

1993 Key Biscayne Hard (O) QF Steffi GRAF 6-1 6-0
*This was during Steffi's infamous cocaine days! No one could touch her when she was high

1993 Canadian Open Hard (O) QF Steffi GRAF 6-2 7-5
*Canadian Open? Again Heidi in the parking lot! That squinting twitchy eye is not good for her night vision :mad: I still had 12 set points but lost them :sad:

1995 US Open Hard (O) 32 Steffi GRAF 6-3 6-3
*I tanked in protest at Monica being co number 1!

1996 German Open Clay (O) QF Steffi GRAF 6-1 7-5
*14 set points all called out by German linesmen :fiery:

1998 Birmingham Grass (O) SF
*Cancelled due to rain. Steffi was injured though and was not going to play so it is actually a retirement and my premiere win over Graf!

1998 Leipzig Carpet (I) FR Steffi GRAF 6-3 6-4
*I was still in shock at my Wimbledon final appearance

1998 Philadelphia Carpet (I) SF Steffi GRAF 6-1 6-4
*See Leipzig 1998*

Steffi GRAF (GER) leads 21 : 0

I think I have explained this now to make it fairer! Allez!

·
Registered
34,218 Posts
Nathalie_Tauziat said:
Relax, it could be worse:

Patricia GRAF (GER) v Nathalie TAUZIAT (FRA)

No matches have been played between these two players. :p

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
Nathalie_Tauziat said:
*snigger* Didn't you Nat? Aw. Shame. *Hehehehehehehehehe*

Didn't your dog eat your racquet just prior to playing once as well?

41 - 60 of 66 Posts