Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pat Rafter is known so well of how gracious a loser he is,

Who else do you think is a gracious loser.
or someone you love fighting to the end.

I think Martina's loss in the Aus final 2002,

and i also think Meghann Shaugnessy.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Monica is one of the most gracious players when she loses.

·
Registered
21,902 Posts
Monica and Anna... always give lots of credit to other player.

least favourite: RAMS! Sore losers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
307 Posts
I think if Lindsay or Monica loses they both are the gracious players!

and they are even fair not like a person we all know! (she lost against STeffi GRaf at a GS final) --> who was this??

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Lindsay, Monica and Amanda are really gracious players both in victory and defeat.

Marti is getting a lot better in this sense(just listen to her heartbreaking speech after her AO final defeat), but as much as I love her she is still not the most gracious player going around ;)

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
Steffi because she was always fair about her feelings after all loss and said that she was dissapointed not played like she expected to do and not started the my opponent was so good today talk while she thought something different. I appreciated her fairness :cool:

·
Registered
802 Posts
Lindsay and Monica are the first names that come to mind.
Martina and Anna ? They don’t strike me as “gracious loosers”. If you read Anna’s interviews, she usually comes up with “I did not play well” or “I did not play the important points well enough” or “I made too many errors”, but she scarcely gives her opponent credit when credit is due. As for Martina, I think that she has much improved lately. The way she took her defeat at the AO was exemplary.
On the men’s side, Rafter was/is (???) one of the most gracious players ever. Alex Corretja deserves a special rating too, I think.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
malaye said:
Martina and Anna ? They don’t strike me as “gracious loosers”. If you read Anna’s interviews, she usually comes up with “I did not play well” or “I did not play the important points well enough” or “I made too many errors”, but she scarcely gives her opponent credit when credit is due. As for Martina, I think that she has much improved lately. The way she took her defeat at the AO was exemplary.
So they don't strike you as gracious loosers??? Well the FACT is they are.. can't speak for Martina, becuase I have not read too many interviews of her.. But as for Anna, well i have read every interview, which comes available and only once in 1998 at the lipton was she not a gracious loser (final against Venus) but ever since then..she has not said a bad word about her opponent when she losers..and gives them plenty of credit.. Even if she did not play well herself..

Perhaps you should read a few more interviews..

·
Registered
802 Posts
Ajayares,

Being gracious is not just about NOT saying bad words about one’s opponent (that is being a jerk !)
Being gracious is acknowledging that you have been beaten by someone who played better, even if you loath the idea of defeat. Being gracious is being able to smile (even a small smile) when you shake your opponent’s hand. It is a very difficult exercise, and there are only a handful of players who can master it.

You may be right. Maybe I should read more of Anna’s interviews (the last one I read was after her first-round defeat at the AO). But I got so fed up with those same stupid, recurrent questions from those lamebrains who call themselves journalists, and who are more interested in her shapes and private life than her tennis. I just gave up !

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
And what about Clijsters' loss at Roland Garros last year?!
Have you all forgot it?
That speech she gave after that dramatic match was so pure, so nice, so honest...

·
Registered
802 Posts
You're absolutely right Stijntje, Kim was the embodiment of graciousness that day :)

·
Banned
1,870 Posts
malaye said:
Lindsay and Monica are the first names that come to mind.
On the men’s side, Rafter was/is (???) one of the most gracious players ever. Alex Corretja deserves a special rating too, I think.
lindsay, monica, and patrick rafter in the guyz definitely...

i disagree malaye. usually when anna loses she says things like those, yes. but she also usually says what her opponent did right that's why she won the match. i remember her using "she just played too good" in a lot of her interviews. so i think anna's gracious in defeat too

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Ok malaye, I suppose it depends on how you interpret the definition of gracious.. so we will agree to disagree..

But when I said bad word, I did not mean it in that context, I was more or less refering to what you have just said "acknowledging that you have been beaten by someone who played better"

BTW you are right about the Anna interviews, half the press couldn't give a toss bag about her performance, there just more interested in her personal life..

·
Registered
802 Posts
All right Marsh, I'll concede the point, and indeed at times I heard her say so.
But I still think Monica, LIndsay and Kim are better examples of "good losers"

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I love Martina. I think she has been so gracious lately, especially at the AO.
But I can't say she's my favourite loser, because I'd rather she win. ;) No, Martina's my favourite in anything.

I think Monica's great in this way too.

·
Premium Member
181,846 Posts
There is no better loser in tennis than "Nancy Loeffler Caro"

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Definitely Lindsay, Monica, Kim, and Arantxa to me. My most favorite is when Arantxa said "I will always love you" to the crowd at the end of the 96 French Open final. She was in tears after that 3 hour match with the crowd way against her (booing her shots) but had nice words to say to Steffi with a smile and to the crowd. She also apologized to Monica after beating her at the 98 French final. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts