Tennis Forum banner

Who is the worst Top 10 player in recent years?

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Keep calm and be gay.
51,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Goerges no question. I'll break down the stats - titles won, Slam performances, top 10 wins - but I'm pretty sure she lags behind all the others in every area.

And the others may have only been occasional or temporary top 10 players, but they spent most of their career in the top 20-30. Goerges has spent most of her career around the 50 mark.

Kirilenko might be the most unmemorable top 10 player though. I actually have no idea what she ever did to be ranked there offhand.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Goerges no question. I'll break down the stats - titles won, Slam performances, top 10 wins - but I'm pretty sure she lags behind all the others in every area.

And the others may have only been occasional or temporary top 10 players, but they spent most of their career in the top 20-30. Goerges has spent most of her career around the 50 mark.

Kirilenko might be the most unmemorable top 10 player though. I actually have no idea what she ever did to be ranked there offhand.
She had two GS QFs and a title on her ranking at the time. I forget what else.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Basczinsky i guess, i was surprised has she even been in the top 10, i cannot remember her in the top 10 :eek:

Kirilenko and Mladenovic also played pretty much awful

·
Premium Member
20,158 Posts
Mladenovic so far...

Reactions: DropShotAce

·
Registered
7,974 Posts

In fact 'titles won' is what she triumphs over some others on the list :p She has 3 titles under her ranking right now. Vandeweghe didn't win a single title last year. Mladenovic, Kirilenko and Makarova only had 1 when they reached/are in Top 10, while Bacsinszky had 2. (I mean the past 52 weeks, not career total)

Goerges has 4 Top 10 wins in the past 52 weeks, which is in fact the same as Bacsinszky and Kirilenko when they reached Top 10. Both Mladenovic and Vandeweghe had 5 (52 weeks) when they reached Top 10. Number-wise she's not far behind from the others who recently reached Top 10, but you could argue about the quality of those Top 10 wins if you want to.

Anyways, she's really way behind the others when it comes to slam performances, or deep runs in large events, so it's probably still her. However, it's not like the difference between Goerges, Kirilenko and Mladenovic is that huge.

·
EXPRESS YOURSELF
7,948 Posts
Kirilenko had two GS quarterfinals, a title and IW SF. Unfortunately she got injured just as she entered the top 10 after losing to Vika in RG QF. Probably most unfortunate top 10 entry, but not the worst.

Mladenovic and Goerges are by far the weakest top 10s of recent memory by far. I mean Mlads was still top 10 even with a 15 match win streak :spit:

·
Registered
20,795 Posts
including Goerges in the list is a bit unfair because she's only just started, but her resume at slams and P5/P1000 could be much better than it stands. Kirilenko I cannot recall how she got there.

Mladenovic would have been worthy had she at least gave a serious attempt at any one or two tournaments after Wimbledon, just surprised to see any top 10 player lose 15 straight matches.

The one name I am a bit surprised to see not feature here on the poll is Bouchard. Sure her 2014 results were pretty nice at slams, two SFs and F, something Svitolina could only dream of, but her level most of the time she is barely top 100 sometimes, it's frightening how much she struggles these days and collects bagels and breadsticks. She only has one title to her name (Nurnberg) and has maybe one or two random good runs in the year, but who really rates her much more to do anything? Memorable rise but even more memorable fall/stagnation.

·
Registered
114,481 Posts
Is it by peak, or quality of solid results? Kirilenko did not spend much time in the top 10 and Mladenovic was good a year ago. When she beat Wozniacki at IW, it was a high level match and Wozniacki was making finals of Doha, Dubai and Miami then
Bacsinszky cant stay healthy and her forehand breaks down, so it could be her
Goerges, to me, is better than those 3. Her problem was mental because I could see whne she played Wozniacki she usually looked like a top 10 player, even in 2011

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
When it comes to tennis skills, definitely Petkovic, followed by Kirilenko.

Considering lack of results in big tournaments, as of now Goerges.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Some statistics on "the ten worst WTA Top10 Players"

WTA Singles Titles

1. Ai Sugiyama 6
  2. Andrea Petkovic 6
  3. Maria Kirilenko 6
  4. Alicia Molik 5
  5. Julia Goerges 5
  6. Timea Bacsinszky 4
  7. Ekaterina Makarova 3
  8. CoCo Vandeweghe 2
  9. Kristina Mladenovic 2
  10. Eugenie Bouchard 1

Prize Money (Including Doubles)
  1. Ekaterina Makarova US$11,287,288
  2. Ai Sugiyama US$ 8,128,126
  3. Kristina Mladenovic US$ 7,354,498
  4. Maria Kirilenko US$ 6,855,919
  5. Julia Goerges US$ 6,785,361
  6. Andrea Petkovic US$ 6,677,367
  7. Timea Bacsinszky US$ 6,033,913
  8. CoCo Vandeweghe US$ 5,981,462
  9. Eugenie Bouchard US$5,716,521
  10. Alicia Molik US$ 3,185,805

Career Record - Win/Loss Ratio in Singles Matches

1. Timea Bacsinszky 392–213 (64.79%)
  2. Andrea Petkovic 429–278 (60.68%)
  3. Ekaterina Makarova 416–280 (59.77%)
  4. Julia Goerges 408-288 (58.70%)
  5. Maria Kirilenko 364–257 (58.61%)
  6. Eugenie Bouchard 228-160 (58.60%)
  7. Alicia Molik 346–248 (58.25%)
  8. CoCo Vandeweghe 265–206 (56.26%)
  9. Kristina Mladenovic 270–228 (54.22%)
  10. Ai Sugiyama 492–419 (54.00%)

Reactions: Queen Vika

·
Registered
12,154 Posts
The one name I am a bit surprised to see not feature here on the poll is Bouchard. Sure her 2014 results were pretty nice at slams, two SFs and F, something Svitolina could only dream of, but her level most of the time she is barely top 100 sometimes, it's frightening how much she struggles these days and collects bagels and breadsticks. She only has one title to her name (Nurnberg) and has maybe one or two random good runs in the year, but who really rates her much more to do anything? Memorable rise but even more memorable fall/stagnation.
It is Genie for sure. She was able to over inflate her ranking thanks to her slam runs, but as you say, she only ever won one MM title, on clay, the week before FO. She did beat Pliskova in that final but that was back when Pliskova had been unable to win finals. Gorges won three titles since October last year, including a premier, the elite trophy and an actual decent MM.. It's not a certainty I suppose but Genie should definitely be in the conversation.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Goerges and Mladenovic are walking jokes. I cant even decipher how in the world they made it to the top ten and my most plausible explanation is that they complained so much that they let them in to calm down ?.
In terms of results they are the worst, but in terms of talent I have to go with either Konta or Petkovic, their presence is disturbing in every tennis court.

Reactions: sara13

·
Registered
20,795 Posts
It is Genie for sure. She was able to over inflate her ranking thanks to her slam runs, but as you say, she only ever won one MM title, on clay, the week before FO. She did beat Pliskova in that final but that was back when Pliskova had been unable to win finals. Gorges won three titles since October last year, including a premier, the elite trophy and an actual decent MM.. It's not a certainty I suppose but Genie should definitely be in the conversation.
and probably one of the few who still milks marketing as if she were still top 10, though her stock has fallen quite hard. I haven't seen similar treatment for others, is Jankovic or Aga even a thing anymore (aside from WTA website fanatics)? Putting her on Arthur Ashe R1 at USO was big fail, at least spectators got to see her once I guess :shrug: It's unfortunate of this list, I'm sure most players don't mind their entrance to top 10, that was a big thing for them and they should be proud of that. But here it almost looks like a stain to be embarrassed about.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts