Tennis Forum banner

Who is the most talented player on clay?

• Guga

Votes: 22 44.0%
  • Juan Carlos

Votes: 18 36.0%
  • Roger

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Moya

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Agassi

Votes: 3 6.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Opening this thread as:

1. Juan Carlos enters his 2nd final of the clay season at Valencia (already won MS Monte Carlo)

2. Carlos Moya wins Barcelona last week, his 1st clay tournament of the season.

3. Guga struggles continue only clay as they did on hardcourt.

4. Roger Federer begins his clay court season with an entry into the finals of Munich and looks to defend MS Hamburg

5. Agassi looks to defend MS Rome next week

Who do you believe has, up to this point, had the best career on clay? Who do you believe *should* have the best career on clay?
Who do you believe has the best chance of winning Roland Garros?
Do you think any of these players will? Or do you think there is a dark horse, like last year (Costas) who may pull it out?

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Note to Tennis Fool: Talent does not mean the same as success. If it did, Federer, Safin and Malisse would be the top three players in the world, while players like Schalken and Schuettler would be nowhere near the Top 15 (which is no offence to them at all, BTW).

The title asks who the most talented player on clay is, the thread asks who will do best on clay and who is most likely to win Roland Garros. Not the same thing.

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hendouble said:
Note to Tennis Fool: Talent does not mean the same as success. If it did, Federer, Safin and Malisse would be the top three players in the world, while players like Schalken and Schuettler would be nowhere near the Top 15 (which is no offence to them at all, BTW).

The title asks who the most talented player on clay is, the thread asks who will do best on clay and who is most likely to win Roland Garros. Not the same thing.
HD: I know that talent doesn't often translate into success. That's why I asked the questions, who's had the best clay success so far, and who *should* have the best.

What are your thoughts on both questions, BTW?

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Ah, I see your point a little more clearly. Well, if we're going by visibly measurable talent alone, then Federer should probably have the most success on clay - but then his game and his mindset are not ideally suited to that surface.

Someone like Ferrero probably has a simpler game, with less obvious variety but still a fair bit of natural talent, and can win more consistently on clay because of his power, movement and mental strength. And I know I'm being obvious here, but I'd say it's a toss-up between him and Agassi for Roland Garros. Sure, Moya's won tons of matches with some handy draws to aid him, but the chances are he'll fall by the wayside when it comes to winning matches in a Grand Slam.

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
Despite his current struggles, I would say that Guga is definately more "talented" than Ferrero on clay... at his best, Guga was always going to beat Ferrero (imo). Whether or not he's going to regain his best remains to be seen, though. I'd put Ferrero right after Guga though, and ahead of Moya.

As for who is going to win RG... maybe we'll have another surprise? I'd like to think that Ferrero could win it finally. As every year, I fear that he's going to tire himself out first, but we'll see.

Barcelona was at least his third clay tournament of the season. He won Buenos Aires (over Coria) and lost in the semis(?) of Acapulco (to Calleri or Zabaleta?).

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Guga by any definition.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Tennis Fool said:
Opening this thread as:

1. Juan Carlos enters his 2nd final of the clay season at Valencia (already won MS Monte Carlo)

3. Guga struggles continue only clay as they did on hardcourt.

4. Roger Federer begins his clay court season with an entry into the finals of Munich and looks to defend MS Hamburg

5. Agassi looks to defend MS Rome next week

Who do you believe has, up to this point, had the best career on clay? Who do you believe *should* have the best career on clay?
Who do you believe has the best chance of winning Roland Garros?
Do you think any of these players will? Or do you think there is a dark horse, like last year (Costas) who may pull it out?
I don't know how close you have been following tennis... but you've got 2 things wrong in your list of 5...

2. Moya has played and won Acapulco... and also entered Buenos Aires..

3. Guga did not struggle on hardcourt.... he won Auckland and was a finalist in IW.. losing to Hewitt... wouldn't exactly call that struggle... I think he's getting back to his best... hopefully he can prove it in Rome.. Hamburg and RG...

·
Registered
349 Posts
Moya. Because he's my fav :p
To be honest, I don't know. I don't get to see clay court tennis a lot. The only thing I know is Guga(before the recent injury), Moya, Ferrero are the best three. There's only a little between them. For Guga, I just feel that he can lose to anyone at any time now. :sad:

·
Registered
747 Posts
Rebecca said:
Barcelona was at least his third clay tournament of the season. He won Buenos Aires (over Coria) and lost in the semis(?) of Acapulco (to Calleri or Zabaleta?).
Moya lost to Calleri in SF. Calleri ended up winning the title in Acapulco, winning over Zabaleta who defeated Guga!

·
Registered
747 Posts
I put Guga as the most talented of all those players because in Brazil, he has zero support other than Larri Passo. And with those conditions, he managed to win 3 RG titles and being #1 at the end of year 2000, it's just pure talent!

·
Registered
196 Posts
*Lee* said:
I put Guga as the most talented of all those players because in Brazil, he has zero support other than Larri Passo. And with those conditions, he managed to win 3 RG titles and being #1 at the end of year 2000, it's just pure talent!
Yep! Have to agree with ya ... On clay I would have the following top 10..

1. Guga
2. JC
3. Moya
4. Agassi
5. Federer
6. Safin
7. Costa
8. Gaudio
9. Coria
10. Corretja

·
Registered
33,292 Posts
I voted for Guga, he's my fav Clay-player. I wished I could vote for two people, because Rogi is a great Clay-player too!

·
Premium Member
181,840 Posts
Guga :):)
Guga at his best on clay is much much better than anyone else.

There's only 3 or 4 guys can stay with Guga when he's at his best.

you guys got it all wrong about Carlos
he lost to Felix Mantilla in QF of Acapulco.

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
Juan Carlos :) , he will win Roland Garros at least

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
guga, Juanqui, Carlos, Marat

·
Registered
486 Posts
Yeah Guga on clay, for example in 2000-2001, was just too good for everybody! When he was in a difficult situation, he always knew how to get out of it and win(Ferrero RG semi 2000, Russell RG 4th, etc) now he's slowly getting back to that form, and Roma will be a real test for him..

By the way, if there are Guga fans here, join the Guga message board, http://gugakuerten.proboards16.com

It's a great board and everybody is welcome!!

GO GUGAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts