Tennis Forum banner

Who is the most powerful player?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not talking about skills. Just sheer power.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Why isn't Sharapova an option? I would say she is at least in the top 5 most powerful players on the tour

·
Registered
369 Posts
Absolutely Sharapova, she has the biggest power :)

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
Other=Anna-Lena Groenefeld

·
Banned
9,219 Posts
Serena williams or Venus williams hands down. Natural atheletic ability gives them an edge.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Oth-Sam Stosur she has huge power in her strokes but a bummer she cant control the power and leave the ball in the court for most of them =( her serve is huge as well =)

·
Premium Member
11,130 Posts
Lindsay when she is in the zone hits harder than any woman when the ball is in her comfort zone. However, when she's on the run she definately doesnt hit as hard as some other players meaning she isnt the most powerful when shes forced to play defence.

When Serena was fully fit i think she would have to be the most powerful woman ever. It is the fact she could generate so much power from defensive positions with her open stance and not just in her comfort zone ie when she doesnt have to move..

·
Premium Member
11,130 Posts
serenas athletic ability when fully fit , strength, and technique give her the edge over anyone in the power stakes...having said that when and if she decides to get back in to top shape, everyone better watch out!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Serena or Kuzzy I guess...
But I'll go for Kuzzy cuz of her amazing power on her forehand

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
'Sheer power", assuming all tennis balls basically mass the same, comes down to who can make the ball travel at the highest speed. Venus still holds the record for serve speed. And open stance shots let you get the rotation of your legs and hips ahead of the raket, so your whole body is pulling the racket head toward the ball.

So I'd say Venus is still the player capable of hitting the hardest shots. However, that isn't how she plays anymore. Even Davenport hits most shots at less than her full power. The player who's groundstrokes probably average the highest top speed is Sharapova. Of course, I haven't seen much of Mirza.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Dementieva.
even kim said that and she's played them all.

·
Banned
12,906 Posts
No Name Face said:
Dementieva.
even kim said that and she's played them all.
No way! She might have said that after one match where lena hit hard but most the times elena plays pretty defensively. She can hit very hard but she doesn't do it regularly.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts