Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not counting Serena or Venus, who is do you think is the most mentally tough player out there?

I reckon overcoming such a long layoff will come down to not just being physically prepared but also mental keyed in. It's a unique and challenging situation that can severely impact the players mentally, emotionally, psychologically.

We talked a lot about how tenacious Kenin is, but she's very young, and I would be very curious to know how she's been able to deal with something like this especially after experiencing incredible success—her first real taste of it.

Who's going to come out of this hungrier than ever and ready to win again? I feel like if 2012 Azarenka were still around, she'd be chomping at the bits to beat the shit out of opponents in real tournaments.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Bianca, Kenin, Osaka (when she is ON), and of recent, Halep (when she is really there to PLAY).

I will go with Andreescu overall, though she is still very young and I may be wrong long term (I hope not).

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Mentally toughest out of active players I'm assuming? Otherwise, the ATGs like Steffi, Evert etc are all mentally strong.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Of today's players ? None of them. Even before the tour went on a screeching halt, The tour was an inconsistent mess of a toss up. There was no clear favorite or dominant force to take hold and everything was up for grabs. All these young players and players of recent success only do good when no on expects them to, because as soon as the spotlight, pressure and attention is on them and theyre EXPECTED to do well or win, they run from it and wither away.

·
Registered
113,940 Posts
You mean right now? I said Halep after Wimbledon last year, and after the French the year before it
Now, I dont know what to expect. Andreescu has not played enough. We need to see how she handles being a favorite and if she gets to #1, can she handle that
If you didnt win multiple majors and handle being #1, you aint it, But you cant say the current Serena who is 0-4 in slam finals without a set. The younger Serena, YES!!

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Of today's players ? None of them. Even before the tour went on a screeching halt, The tour was an inconsistent mess of a toss up. There was no clear favorite or dominant force to take hold and everything was up for grabs. All these young players and players of recent success only do good when no on expects them to, because as soon as the spotlight, pressure and attention is on them and theyre EXPECTED to do well or win, they run from it and wither away.
That's exactly it. Osaka was just so painful at RG and Wimbledon last year and then there was Barty dragging out her worst tennis at Wimbledon after winning RG. I think they are so used to hiding behind Serena as 'the favourite' and coming through under the radar, but once the attention and pressure switches to them as the new world no 1 or whatever, they go into their shells. I will not be surprised if Pliskova and Kenin fold in the first week of the USO under the pressure of being its top two seeds, if Halep does not play..

·
Registered
113,940 Posts
We dont know how they handle the pandemic until the 2 majors. The most pressure comes with expectations, and Serena has that and the age problem, which means her window is closing fast
So I would have said her, but to play so many decent semis and not be the same player in the finals, I cant say Serena now. I have to say Halep. Played well in all her slam finals, handled being #1. But I dont know if that holds now
Lets see these 2 majors
But its close. I wouldnt argue with 2016-19 Kerber, and one of these young players might be the next one. But its too soon to say that

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
This is the big question. I’m watching Sabalenka and she looks liked a caged beast unleashed! She could go on a tear. For the USO to win you need to be pretty self contained - no crowd to gee you up. Someone who has good concentration and application..

i know I am biased, but you could make a case for Kvitova. She’s had a long layoff recently with her hand and returned with a lot of success. Now she is 30 she knows she needs to take every opportunity she can and this USO really is going to be wide open. No noisy New Yorkers! She was striking the ball well in the recent Berlin tournament but looked not totally match fit and lost the finals in champion TBs. Since then she has been hitting the gym.

Having said that, it may well be one of the hungry youngsters..

·
Registered
31,652 Posts
Bertens prefers to play on an empty Court 9 than on the main stadium. She may thrives under the covid-19 conditions. Does that make her mentally tough? Not really. There hasn't been a player like 2012 Azarenka in a while. You knew she would destroy the unseeded played and you still be screaming come ons in their face while leading 6-1 5-0*.

I'm curious to see how Andresccu will comeback and if Rybakina will pick it up where she left off.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Of today's players ? None of them....All these young players and players of recent success only do good when no on expects them to, because as soon as the spotlight, pressure and attention is on them and theyre EXPECTED to do well or win, they run from it and wither away.
Bollocks. If that were the case, Andreescu would never have won the US Open and Kenin wouldn't have been able to follow up her Australian Open success by winning in Lyon. Her two first-round losses in-between were both close matches against in-form players.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Bollocks. If that were the case, Andreescu would never have won the US Open and Kenin wouldn't have been able to follow up her Australian Open success by winning in Lyon. Her two first-round losses in-between were both close matches against in-form players.
She wasn't expected to win, Serena was, considering how she played in the semi and it was Bianca's first final. Kenin also wasn't expected to win or even to make the final of the Aus Open, Muguruza was. And last I checked, didn't Kenin lose in the first round of the next 2 tournaments she entered ? Again players today play better, when the attention, pressure and expectations arent on them.

Doesn't matter how close the matches were, she lost them. Compared to someone like Azarenka, that after she won her first grand slam, She went on a match winning streak.

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
Gauff and Bianca - still young, no pressure
Kenin I will say next, but some of her WTT matches, although it was an exhibition were not up to par.
Halep when she has her goals set out.
I think Riske and Yulia also go out there, and do their best - they just have their own physical limitations. Mentally they are strong, even if Yulia has her occasional nastiness coming out.

Osaka with her new found millions and pressure to perform, may melt mentally.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Kenin I will say next, but some of her WTT matches, although it was an exhibition were not up to par.
Why do people take notice of WTT & Exho. results?

No one knows how players will be mentally coming back from Covid19. Some may play but be thinking of the situation, other's may be able to go ahead like nothing has happened.

Of current players and their very recent history, you would think Sofia's mentality will not change, she doesn't seem a player who will go AWOL.
IF Bianca ever gets back on court, I expect the same from her too.
Rybakina was really good before the shutdown, hopefully it hasn't stuffed her up.

Serena only has to worry about her mentality IF she reaches a slam final, any other matches are irrelevant in the scheme of things for her.

95% of the Tour are flaky though, so don't really expect any change.
IF IT'S YOUR WEEK OR FORTNIGHT, YOU WILL WIN, that"s the W.T.A..

·
Registered
292 Posts
I'm just watching Halep-Hercog and Simona is as fit, hungrier and composed as she's ever been in a not so easy first match post pandemic and a definitely not easy International round 1. She's always been one of the fittest players around (the fittest in my books) and a great fighter. The way she recovered after her painful 3 Slam Finals lost, winning Wimbledon in such a manner, out of all, resisting Rybakina's huge pressure in Dubai, bearing in mind her experience and consistency at the very top for many years and a game suited for all surfaces, i think she's the player to beat atm. She can be a headcase with health related issues like covid or zika, so she might miss some tournaments for now, but i think that the pause did her good, as i remember having a nasty foot injury prior to this, also her back and achile tendon must be well rested and less inflamed.

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
Well, obviously Maria Sharapova is the mentally toughest in all of tennis history.

As for the new girls? I haven't seen anyone but Sofia Kenin show mental toughness.

Serena and Venus were never mentally tough.

Ahhhhh, post-pandemic. Well, we haven't seen many players show their stuff yet. Maybe this is a little pre-mature until we've seen them all play actual tournament events, not exhibitions or team tennis matches.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Serena and Venus were never mentally tough.
More nonsense from you. I can't really tell whether you're trolling or you're actually deluded, so kudos to you I guess.

As for Serena, she is the only player in history to win 3 Slams after saving match points (Australian Open 2003 and 2005 and Wimbledon 2009).

Apart from that, she also came back from 6-1 5-2 against Petrova in the 2007 AO and was 2 points away from losing to Peer in the QF. She was also 2 points away from losing to Kuznetsova in 2009 (was trailing 7-5 5-3), Azarenka in the 2012 US Open final (trailing 2-6 6-2 5-3) and Watson in 2015 Wimbledon. She also had ana epic comeback against Azarenka at the 2010 Australian Open, coming back from 6-4 4-0. Moreover, Serena has won more matches after saving match points than any woman in history.

Match points aside, Serena had so many successful returns after falling out of the top 100 (2007, 2011, 2018). Serena was also a mental giant in finals during her prime going 34-3 in finals between 2010 and 2015. Maria on the other hand had a 13-15 record in finals during that same time which was also her prime, including going 3-6 in finals in 2012, her arguably best season on tour (or at least on par with 2006).

Maria wad a great competitior and she was mentally tough, but she isn't in the same league as Serena, much less the "mentally toughest player in history" lol.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts