·
Registered
11,719 Posts
Justine @ 2002 Aus Open

Ranked #6 or #7

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
wow.. so Clijsters road to 2 slam semi and 1 final this year was done by not beating a player ranked in the top 10?

That #1 ranking isn't looking good now.. but I guess she's extra bonus for the top 10 players now, except for Davenport.

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
venusfan said:
wow.. so Clijsters road to 2 slam semi and 1 final this year was done by not beating a player ranked in the top 10?

That #1 ranking isn't looking good now.. but I guess she's extra bonus for the top 10 players now, except for Davenport.
The weird thing is that Kim can only play the players that are put in front of her. If the top 10 players in her section are knocked out before she gets to them, there's nothing she can do about it. She's certainly not going to lose on purpose so nobody will bring up the fact that she got to a semi final/final without beating a top 10 player.

Reactions: ans

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
venusfan writing this tripped me out:
That #1 ranking isn't looking good now
As if any of you were saying it looked good before :rolleyes:

Anyway, this is the first year where Clijsters has been a real favorite to do well. At the Australian the higher ranked Rubin lost to Myskina. At the French, Venus lost to Vera. At Wimbledon, Rubin lost to Farina Elia. Tell the other players to stop losing, and then we can see Kim face tougher players before the semis and final.

Reactions: Hawk

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
Another little piece of info that's not really relative to the whole slam thing but does relate to the #1 ranking thing... Kim has more quality points ( 2102) than anybody except Serena ( 2186). She has 261 more than the next person on the list ( Justine with 1841). The comes Venus (1270) and Lindsay (1127). Nobody else is within 1000 quality points of either Serena or Kim.

Reactions: Lynx

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
The startling point in the last post is that Serena has been able to win more quality points than Kim and Kim has played in twice as many tournaments. Can we say quality NOT quanity.

Reactions: kyk710

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
spartanfan - I know plenty of players who would love non-quality results like 6 titles, a major final, and two other major SF results ;)

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
angele87 said:
The weird thing is that Kim can only play the players that are put in front of her. If the top 10 players in her section are knocked out before she gets to them, there's nothing she can do about it. She's certainly not going to lose on purpose so nobody will bring up the fact that she got to a semi final/final without beating a top 10 player.
I think the point venusfan was trying to make is that when Kim has to play high ranked players at the slams, she loses.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Knizzle - Hasn't that point been discussed over and over? We all know Kim has choked in big matches this year. That isn't news...

·
Registered
47,640 Posts
angele87 said:
No that ain´t the weird thing! The weird thing is that the " world no.1" doesn´t stand up when the challenge is there! When it´s a qualifier, great 6-0 6-0, but when it´s a Serena, a Venus or even a Justine..... this is what they say: " Earth to Kim?! Is there somebody there?! Hello....hello?!" :lol: ;)

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
jenglisbe said:
Knizzle - Hasn't that point been discussed over and over? We all know Kim has choked in big matches this year. That isn't news...
But those matches were against Venus, Serena, and Henin. I guess people are waiting to see what she does against a Mauresmo, or Davenport, or Capriati even though they are not on the same side. She hasn't had the tough draws so she hasn't been tested in a GS QF match.

·
Banned
28 Posts
Knizzle said:
But those matches were against Venus, Serena, and Henin. I guess people are waiting to see what she does against a Mauresmo, or Davenport, or Capriati even though they are not on the same side. She hasn't had the tough draws so she hasn't been tested in a GS QF match.
Kim has played all of them in GS's before though, and lost... but I know this year is different.

·
Registered
47,640 Posts
Knizzle said:
No kidding! These are her qf opponents at the slam:
Myskina at the Oz( no disrespect....but she ain´t a player)
Maleeva at the French( Maggy and clay, uhm not a good combination, yet she still bageled Kim!! :eek: That was a prelude for the final! She sure must be the first no.1 to be bageled twice at a GS!! :lol:
Farina-Elia at Wimby...not a true threat for a slam, still took a slam off Kim.

Those aren´t exactly what they call a murders-row.

·
Banned
28 Posts
Kim played Conchita in the French QF's... Maggie in the R16.

However, it's not Kim's fault that the top players in her draw have lost early in the slams this year.

She would have played Lindsay at RG, and Rubin at Wimbly, who just won Eastbourne and has always been tough on grass.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts