Tennis Forum banner

WITG?

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
29,989 Posts
I’ll abstain because Andreescu is very young and has many years ahead.
I think she’ll top the rest, in singles at least.
If she retires today, Garrison

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Singles only: Petrova
S+D: Zvereva - doubles resume too strong

But yeah wtf with these comparisons? What's next? Who's greater: Zec-Peskiric, Palaversic, Jakupovic or Jugic-Salkic?
yes please! include jankovic!

·
Stanning for Andi
21,777 Posts
I wasn't aware that 0 singles slams is objectively greater than 1.
18 Grand Slam doubles titles dwarfs Andreescu's one Grand Slam singles title. And the majority of top singles players played doubles in the 1990s so you can hardly devalue them. Go and check them out and see who she beat in Grand Slam doubles finals.

·
Registered
378 Posts
18 Grand Slam doubles titles dwarfs Andreescu's one Grand Slam singles title. And the majority of top singles players played doubles in the 1990s so you can hardly devalue them. Go and check them out and see who she beat in Grand Slam doubles finals.
Doubles are meaningless in greatness debates IMHO.

Anyway I was responding to the statement that by any objective metric, Garrison was the greatest.

:cool:

·
Registered
8,932 Posts
Natalia :love: :love: :love: One of my favourites EVER, she was like Hingis before Hingis in skill and improvisation level, too bad she had very little mental strength (and the infamous 1988 RG final probably destroyed all her confidence in singles against the very best) and lacked a bit of pure power.
The way she toyed with Tauziat for 2/3 of the match in the 1998 Wimbledon SF - by far her best look at a GS title in singles, after beating Graf and Seles! - only to lose it in the end is still a very painful memory. At least she got a bit of a revenge against the same player in the 1999 Eastbourne final, coming back from 0-6 0-3 to win the title.

Still, as a singles career only, I'd pick Andreescu: 1 GS + 2xTier I titles >>> the others.

Reactions: Shvedbarilescu

·
Registered
8,932 Posts
Natasha Zvereva
GS Perf QF+: 1F 1SF 6QF
CHR: 5
Titles: 4
Tour Finals: 2QF
Doubles Titles: 80 (23 O/GS/WTAF)
Doubles CHR: 1
Zvereva actually reached the SF at 1995 YEC losing to Steffi Graf after beating Sanchez-Vicario and Sabatini.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Says who? Says you? Oh okay, whatever.
Say all objective tennis observers who compile all-time rankings. The GOAT debate is generally between those are greatest in singles, if you hadn't noticed (some of them might also have been great in doubles, but that's purely tangential).

:cool:

·
Registered
12,926 Posts
I'd say Garrison, for now.

Natasha Z though was the one who got me into tennis (along with Gaby and MMF). :love::bowdown: She was a joy to watch. The older ones who have seen her play will agree. 1998 Wimbledon was the closest to PEAK form (along with 1995 YEC and 1988 RG win over Martina). That Tauziat SF match was sooo painful to watch. I really feel the better player lost in the end and it would have been a fairytale run, having finally beaten her nemesis along the way (Graf).

Fun fact: Zvereva and Garrison have something in common. They are the only players who have beaten both Graf and Seles at the same tournament. And in both cases it happened at Wimbledon. (1998 and 1990).

Nadia was an underachiever, especially at RG. 2006 and 2010, she really was in her best form but injuries sadly got in the way.

Reactions: Shvedbarilescu

·
Registered
634 Posts
I wasn't aware that 0 singles slams is objectively greater than 1.
A top career spanning 8-10 years is objectively greater than three fluke tournaments

21 - 40 of 45 Posts