Tennis Forum banner

Who is the Greatest 2-Time Slammer of the Open Era?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Art & Futures
21,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Who is the Greatest 2 Time Women's Singles Slam Champion of the Open Era?

There are exactly 10 of them now which makes it perfect for a TF poll.

Tracy Austin: 2 USO
Mary Pierce: 1 AO, 1 FO
Amelie Mauresmo: 1 AO, 1 Wim
Svetlana Kuznetsova: 1 FO, 1 USO
Viktoria Azarenka: 2 AO
Li Na: 1 AO, 1 FO
Petra Kvitova: 2 Wim
Garbine Muguruza: 1 FO, 1 Wim
Naomi Osaka: 1 AO, 1 USO
Simona Halep: 1 FO, 1 Wim

Interesting Facts

Combos
  • no 2-time only FO winner.
  • Other no 2-time combination: Wim+USO.
  • Every other combo exists! (There are 10 of them)

High Ranking
  • They have all been #1 or #2 except Mary Pierce.
  • #2s: Kuznetsova, Kvitova, Li Na

Activity
  • 6 of the 10 are still active
  • They all had a best result of QF+ but no win except for Osaka prior to their first GS.

Finals
  • Only two of them has a worse than 50% rating (Halep, Pierce) in Grand Slam Finals, meaning they took their chances when they could
  • They each have at least one win that was a convincing 2-setter, the closest being Tracy Austin's 6-4, 6-3 win over Chris Evert.
  • There's only one match where the winner won less games than the loser, Tracy Austin's 1-6, 7-6, 7-6 win over Martina Navratilova
  • There's been two finals contested among members of this Group: Osaka def. Kvitova in AO 2019, Azarenka def. Li Na in AO 2013

Nationality
  • Fairly diverse continental representation (US, Europe, Asia, S. America (through Muguruza's birthplace))
  • France is the only country represented twice

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I think Osaka will end up the greatest as she already kickstarted her campaign with her two slam wins being consecutive.

And before anyone says she is only good on hard courts, y'all will be shocked when she wins FO or Wimbledon soon if she gets her shit together.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Simona, because she was in 3 other slam finals and she is the only one who will end up with more of them in the future.

·
Registered
14,874 Posts
Probably still Tracy. She went head-on and was even with Chris and Martina for a good couple of years.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
For me azarenka. Her peak during that time was high and that was the last big peak of wta sharapova-azarenka-serena as the top 3.

·
Registered
531 Posts
lol...

I easily see Osaka surpassing Simona's slam wins. This your post is just recency bias.
Osaka is overrated and overhyped, I wouldnt be surprised if she never won another slam ever. Simona is still going strong and is still very consistant.

·
Premium Member
44,070 Posts
I look at the number of weeks as number one: Halep, Azarenka, Mauresmo, etc

Reactions: Ascanius

·
Banned
2,413 Posts
lol...

I easily see Osaka surpassing Simona's slam wins. This your post is just recency bias.
Osaka is overrated and overhyped, I wouldnt be surprised if she never won another slam ever. Simona is still going strong and is still very consistant.
She earned the hype. She won 2 in a row which is praise worthy anyday. Yes she is doing bad right now but she is too good of a player not to bounce back.

Winning 2 slams back to back is not fluke. Enjoy simona's wins but no need to pull down naomi who isn't even 22. I can say something about simona too but she is a great player and no need to pull down these girls who worked hard and won 2 slams. Yes naomi might never win a slam but her game is too good to stop at 2 slams. But keep writing her off. She gonna win more.

On topic halep is right now. Bcoz she has been most consistent. And her 2 slams r different compared to azarenka and kvitova. I think both halep and naomi gonna end up with mor than 2.
But overalll naomi will have the most. I have belief in my girl. She will bounce back and haters can hate

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
For me, it’s between Azarenka and Halep right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Pierce on the bases she faced off against Steffi and peak Serena, in an era that many around here call the strongest in WTA history.

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
Recency bias. Maybe give it a few years.

·
Registered
531 Posts
You do realise that she won Australian Open 6 months ago and has 10+ years professionell tennis career ahead?
Yes I do, I said she is overrated because some people here were predicting she will be next Serena and win 20+ slams which is not happening, she is not THAT great, but she will probably end up with 7 or 8 slams. Also it is possible she will never got into slam final again - Ivanovic is great example, she was 20 when won her first slam and many predicted she will be multiple slam champion. Anything can happen. Halep winning more slams seems more possible at this point than Osaka.

·
Registered
21,224 Posts
Azarenka and Halep lead to me. Azarenka slightly ahead of Halep in terms of 'dominance' but Halep will surely surpass her at this rate with her consistency at the top of the game.

Osaka's slam wins were great but she still needs time to mature and become a regular tour contender everywhere. She can improve.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts