Tennis Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I come up with a question that has been asked multiple times but I find it interesting to have some of your opinion on the subject. A lot of matches highlights have popped up on youtube and I’ve recently been into the Williams sisters ones. I was clearly amazed by the level and consistency of Venus Williams, especially at net. Is she the best doubles players that have played the game ? (The numbers of titles despite the few appearances are speaking by themselves but still). I don’t want to think titles-wise but more upon the level of play by itself. What do you think ? I am thinking about so much other names as well.

·
Registered
54,549 Posts
Navratilova won each Slam (at least) 7 times, a total of 31 women's doubles, plus 10 mixed doubles (first in 1974, last in 2006) and won the YEC 11 times in doubles. Case closed.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Navratilova won each Slam (at least) 7 times, a total of 31 women's doubles, plus 10 mixed doubles (first in 1974, last in 2006) and won the YEC 11 times in doubles. Case closed.
I said no titles-wise but in terms of play. Case might be closed indeed as she had a tremendous hand and she was able to compete well after she turned 40. Her volley was top-notch, probably the best ever. But she did play so much doubles in an incredible length of time compared to some players.

·
Registered
54,549 Posts
But she did play so much doubles in an incredible length of time compared to some players.
So? She should be penalized for that? IMO there is no doubt Navratilova is the doubles GOAT both titles wise and in terms of play. At one point Navratilova and Shriver went on a 109-match winning streak between 1983 and 1985 winning 8 consecutive Grand Slams. Unreal.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So? She should be penalized for that? IMO there is no doubt Navratilova is the doubles GOAT both titles wise and in terms of play. At one point Navratilova and Shriver went on a 109-match winning streak between 1983 and 1985 winning 8 consecutive Grand Slams. Unreal.
I think you don’t get what I wanted to say with that sentence. Is it because we’re on an online forum that you’re so aggressive about what you want to say ? It was actually a compliment. Being able to play as much as she did is an unbelievable achievement, and she played when she was 45+ yo. And she played singles, doubles and mixed at almost every GS which is probably something that players from our time cannot do as the matches tend to be much longer (because no more serve and volley). The williams sisters as example played so few compared to Martina, nothing wrong here just fact. So they’re having fewer titles as a result, they didn’t care as much as Martina did. It just shows how Martina was involved and willing to achieve what she achieved. Anyway, I shouldn’t have started this thread like I did, I just wanted to know who was the doubles player with the best doubles ability and we’re here discussing about some titles and stuff. I noted that Venus Williams had a great doubles game with so much pace and net skills. I chose the wrong thread title as well but it is what came to my mind.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Having seen both Martina N and Venus, yes they are both wonderful but Navratilova is easily the best doubles player of all time.

·
Registered
16,112 Posts
Navratilova. No questions.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Navratilova. No questions.
That’s a shame that we don’t have access to much footage of her and Shriver’s matches on youtube, there are some but not a lot. I guess they had the best game for their era but it might have worked as good in our. We’ve seen how efficient serve and volley is in doubles and thankfully some teams are still practicing that kind of doubles. All the doubles legends were efficient S&V players. Watched Martina played with Cara (Black) in Wimbledon and I am sure they would still be able to play at the professional level.

·
Registered
25,830 Posts
Is a question? :lol:
Martina hands down. Such a legend!
Her last mixed doubles title in 2006 said it all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts