Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By 'spoiler' I mean, a player who has failed to read the script and either won as a heavy underdog, or didn't allow a sentimental favourite a sweet victory that tennis fans and tennis history would have wanted. I can think of a few, but for me, it has to be Lindsay Davenport beating Steffi at Wimbledon in 1999. Had Steffi won that match after winning the French Open the previous month it would surely have gone down as one of the greatest swansongs in history. Instead, Lindsay, who had never even reached a semi at Wimbledon before came out and methodically won the title denying Steffi and the crowd the fairytale ending everyone was expecting.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Sam Stosur at the 2011 USO?

Had Serena won it'd be the perfect storyline: An American coming back after a near deat hexperience and a year long layoff to come back to Queens and win the title on September 11th.

·
Registered
12,914 Posts
Vika AO 2013 :hearts:

·
Registered
4,922 Posts

Had Serena won it'd be the perfect storyline: An American coming back after a near deat hexperience and a year long layoff to come back to Queens and win the title on September 11th.
this 100%

Vika AO 2013 :hearts:
this also, but now thinking about it, there was no way Vika was gunna lose that match.

·
Premium Member
15,684 Posts

This one, ugh I was watching that match with friends and I was so disgusted.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Not the biggest but definitely noteworthy.

Franny beating Sam Stosur after she had beaten Henin and Serena back to back at the French Open.

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts
All really great examples. I'm going to go back a little in history. I would nominate 1919 Wimbledon final. Mrs. Lambert Chambers was the seven-time Wimbledon champion and it was the first Wimbledon after the Great War. The British fans definitely wanted a Chambers victory and the Lenglen win was a huge upset. It didn't end Chambers career but victory there for her would've been sweet for the Brits considering how close the match was.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Everyone Vs. Monica Seles Wimbledon 1992. :eek:h:

·
Registered
760 Posts
Majoli's FO-1997 victory springs to my mind first. Denied teenage prodigy Legentina the glory of a calendar-year Grand Slam :(

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
2004 USO Kuznetsova def Davenport 16 62 64. Davenport was the favourite to win the tile that year, was undefeated during the summer hardcourt season. She got injured during the match 16 62 64. And Kuzzy won the title 2 days later against against...Dementieva.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Iva Majoli beating Martina Hingis at the 1997 French Open?

Martina was having a career year but fell off her horse in the winter. Still, Iva played a perfect match and basically denied Martina of a calendar Grand Slam!

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
Serena Williams. AO 2007. No doubt.

The script was that she had been written off and the changing of the guard was well in hand. The new Queen was Maria. Williams was out of shape, undedicated and disinterested. The idea that she could win AO in the shape that she was in was purported to be an insult to the field and the game itself.

Obviously, Serena didn't read the script. ...or she had final draft. :lol:

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Even though her win ended up being a huge story in itself, I think a more recent one for me would probably be Bartoli in Wimbledon 2013. I don't know about other countries, but here, pretty much every second week article about the womens tournament was focused on Lisicki and how it was seemingly her time, but then Bartoli sprung up at the end.

The first one that sprung to mind was Iva Majoli in 1997, though I see a few other people got that one too! :lol:

·
Premium Member
38,691 Posts
All really great examples. I'm going to go back a little in history. I would nominate 1919 Wimbledon final. Mrs. Lambert Chambers was the seven-time Wimbledon champion and it was the first Wimbledon after the Great War. The British fans definitely wanted a Chambers victory and the Lenglen win was a huge upset. It didn't end Chambers career but victory there for her would've been sweet for the Brits considering how close the match was.
What? Damn I would have thought the exact opposite had Chambers won. ;)

Lenglen HAD to be the Legend everybody was praising. And it couldn't have happened in a more exciting way!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Completely forgot about Majoli beating Hingis in 1997. That was quite a big one.

Definitely Martinez winning Wimbledon in 1994 and ASV winning FO in 1998 spoiled the party.

Actually, ASV was a big spoiler in my view. She had a knack of upsetting Graf and denied us what could have been some good finals between Seles and Graf, most notably FO 1991 and USO 1992. She also put paid to what would have been a second consecutive calendar grand slam by Graf in 1989.

Bartoli this year definitely spoiled what seemed like the crowning of Queen Sabine.

Maruesmo possibly could be seen as spoiling Justine winning Wimbledon. She really should have at least 1 Wimbledon title.

Pretty much anyone who beat Monica after the stabbing was a bit of a spoiler in my view.

1 - 20 of 155 Posts