Tennis Forum banner

Who has the best consistent serve in the WTA?

• Venus Williams

Votes: 14 15.2%
  • Serena Williams

Votes: 17 18.5%
  • Lyndsay Davenport

Votes: 19 20.7%
  • Monica Seles

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Mary Pierce

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Martina Hingis

Votes: 17 18.5%
  • Daniela Hantuchova

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Alexandra Stevenson

• Meghann Shaughnessy

• Kim Clijsters

• Jelena Dokic

• Justine Henin

• Sandrine Testud

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 5 5.4%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which player do you think has the most consistently good and potent serve in Women's tennis? Say why.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I've left out your fave. Make a write-in vote.

Two other possible contenders:

Iroda Tulyaganova
Alicia Molik

·
Registered
14,818 Posts
martina :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Venus.

Does she have the most consistent serve? No. Serena and Lindsay are both more consistent.

Does she have the most potent serve? Yes. But Serena's and Lindsay's are almost as good.

So why pick Venus?

Because her serve is what it is. Most matches she'll have more aces than doublefaults, and she has a variety of second serves. But mostly because Lindsay and Serena both serve like crap when they play Venus. Venus serves the same way versus them as anyone else.

·
Registered
14,818 Posts
okay honestly i'd say lindsay or serena :D

not martina :eek:

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Venus leading at the moment.

Martina!!!, Sandrine and Lindsay Joint 2nd

I'm surprised at the low vote for Serena so far. I'd say her serve was one of the very best.

Daniela too has an excellent serve which isn't massive, but has sting and is accurate and varied enough to cause most players problems.

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
Martina has a good serve when she wants to use it as a weapon...:rolleyes:
I say Serena..Hey Bernardo..:wavey:

·
♥ All-American Reject
19,132 Posts
Serena's got the most consistent serve because she places it very well (i.e US Open semis 2001) and she can serve up a lot of aces.

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,053 Posts
I can't find Anna K. in this pool. She is by far the most consistent server of WTA. You always know what to expect from her.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
lol ys... is it DFs? :eek:

I voted for Serena, she has THE most consistent serve :D

·
Registered
12,118 Posts
Of course is my GODDESS SERENA!!!!!!!! :)
Then Venus, then Lindsay, then Alexandra then Iroda :kiss:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Since we're talking about consistency I'd go with Martina. Sure, her serve isn't all that great, but she gets a high percentage of first serves in and hardly df's at all.

·
Registered
12,118 Posts
It's really funny, Martina with 4 votes and Alex with none LOL

Alex is really serving well this season, her game is all basead on her serve... For almost win Meghann, win Jennifer and trouble Monica, I think she is serving really well and really consistently! :eek:

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
There Are Several It Seems

Lordy - I forgot about Sandrine. She does have a very good serve. Cappy also has a good serve - and I've read where some feel Jelena has been working on hers. Momo has got her mojo working on hers these days - and Monica has a fine one.

My all time faves though are - Serena/Davy/Venus. If Venus is on - look out - but I suppose one can say that about Serena and Lindsay also. Venus was onnnnnnnn at the Acura tourney last year - and when she gears it up - at times I look for her to blow on her racket to clear the smoke.

When Davy is on - look out also - for she can place them as well as anyone. IMO - Serena has the best first and second serve - and of course this only holds true if she is on. Like at last year's US Open in the second set. Can I get 100% serving percentage around here? At times - as with most of the players - if they are having a bad serving day - then the serve is not a weapon - so therefore they cannot use it to their AD. Matter-of-fact - they may find themselves cursing their serve - and the fact that they are struggling shows.

·
Registered
836 Posts
As much as I love Martina
Her serve is not up there wit Lindsay's, and the Williams sisters.
But it is definately improving! :)

I voted Lindsay

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
So: At this point the totals are

SERENA - 12
Venus - 10
Lindsay - 9
Martina - 7
Kim - 4
Monica - 4
Sandrine - 3
Daniela - 2
Jelena - 2
Anna - 1

Big changes: Serena is on top now. I think I agree with that. I think her serve is more reliable than Venus's and more consistently damaging. Also she has a better 2nd serve.

Martina ia a good player, but ranked too high here. If she had a serve as good as Kim or Sandrine, she'd be no 1 again! If she had a serve as good as Serena - she'd be unbeatable!

On pure serve quality I think Meghann, Mary, Daniela and Ale are undervalued. Though Mary and Alex aren't that consistent, when their serves are working. Wow.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts