Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Banned
3,052 Posts
Well, do commentators like Pam Shriver and Mary Joe Fernandez count as amabassadors? There's also Navratilova, Wade, Billie Jean King, and Evert/Austin a few years back.

· Registered
17,738 Posts
BJK

I hate her, but in truth she is who made the sport what it is today.

· Registered
8,951 Posts
LOL you don't know her yet you hate her? How old are you?

BJK,Martina Hingis, Venus/Serena Williams/Kim/Chanda/Lindsay/Navratilova/Shriver.

· Registered
17,738 Posts
OK I dont hate her, hate her, but I find her bad, its an English expression. :rolleyes:

· Registered
9,222 Posts
Billie Jean King is the greatest ambassador the sport of women's tennis has ever had. She transcends the sport, and only a few people throughout the history of tennis have been able to do as much. Sure, she's hated by alot of people- she's outspoken, brash, and always has an opinion. Most men don't care for a powerful woman, especially if she's usually right. I've been watching and listening to her since the early 70s, and I kinda like how she's aged. John McEnroe has gone on record by saying Billie Jean King is the one tennis commentator that he actually stops and listens to when he passes a TV tennis telecast...

· Banned
3,052 Posts
LOL @ Da Forehand saying the Williams! Yeah, playing a couple of tournaments a year, WOW. Also most players give more interviews then them. And whenever Serena did a show, it's to promote herself, not the WTA ;)

· Registered
8,951 Posts
Um it has nothing to do w/playing tournaments. They put on clinics have opened tennis facilities in the inner city, play in thier moms charity events, are well spoken and transend the game.

...wait wait why am I answering this __________!

· Registered
9,222 Posts
I'd have to disagree with Martina Navratilova- she does very little that doesn't involve feeding Martina's ego. Yes, she spoke at the Gay March on Washington a few years ago, but ambassador for tennis? I think Zina Garrison has done more for tennis...

· Registered
8,951 Posts
alfajeffster said:
I'd have to disagree with Martina Navratilova- she does very little that doesn't involve feeding Martina's ego. Yes, she spoke at the Gay March on Washington a few years ago, but ambassador for tennis? I think Zina Garrison has done more for tennis...

I would somewhat agree w/your statement. Martina and McEnroe went to the same school of self endorsement.

Andrea Jeager

Chris Evert

· Registered
713 Posts
Martina Hingis, even today she still works with Adidas, Yonex, Sanex etc and does clinics and interviews etc etc

BJK for her part in history, don't agree with all her decisions but she made the modern women's game possible. Respect!

Most players are really good though taking part in the activites organised by tournaments.

· Registered
8,951 Posts
"Martina Hingis, even today she still works with Adidas, Yonex, Sanex etc and does clinics and interviews etc etc'

She was a great ambassodor for the game when she was number one, but she does the aforementioned partly because she's obligated by contract, which is why she hasn't formally retired.

· Registered
24,565 Posts
BJK has devoted more years to playing, promoting and developing tennis than any of the current top ten have been ALIVE. It's not close either. BJK was born in '43, and started playing as a child. Realistically, she's been in the game over half a century, and has been a significant presence for AT LEAST 35 years.

And of course, her influence was far greater than just playing.

* "Battle of the Sexes II"

* World Team Tennis

* 9 Fed Cup titles

* 12 GS singles titles, 8 GS doubles titles, 10 GS mixed doubles titles.

In terms of building the women's game form an afterthought to it's current level, she's, well, a colossus.

ANd if youpolled the players, 90% of them would give the same answer.

· double-dog daredevil
11,675 Posts
Without BJK, there pretty much would be no tour - that's hard to beat.

FYI, Venus HAS done clinics - kids in Dorchester are still buzzing about her visit to the Sportsman's Club and I know that's not the only one she's done.

Nav's done a lot more than just the March on Washington.

Also in the underappreciated catagory: Alex Stevenson. I think she's a huge disappointment on-court, and I can't read an interview with her without cringing, but I have to give her her due she regularly participates in tournament promotions and outreach.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.