Tennis Forum banner

Based on your own criteria, who is the "No. 2/second best" player on the tour?

• Kim Clijsters, No.2 in the rankings and Tour Championships winner

Votes: 37 32.5%
  • Justine Henin-Hardenne, the holder of the one Slam that Serena doesn't have

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Venus Williams, who has made 3 Slam finals, losing to the same player each time

Votes: 47 41.2%
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before Kim Clijsters has the opportunity to pass Serena Williams, the current holder of 3 Slam titles and No.1 on the official tour rankings, I thought I'd come up with this poll to see who many of you think is the clear No.2 player on the tour.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
8,026 Posts
Justine.....she has one weak surface, and it just happens to be the surface that has like half the tour's tournaments....She is the holder of one slam and has a winning record over Serena this year. The only players who have beaten her are Serena, Kim, Venus, and Chanda (the Chanda defeat was on her worst surface)

·
Premium Member
26,690 Posts
Venus is the second best player in the world to me - although I admit I have difficulty explaining it apart from saying I just think she's better than the other two.

She does not, however, deserve the no.2 ranking.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Depends on what you mean by #2 if you mean ranking or second best player on the tour. If it's the former then of course that's Kim, the latter would have to go w/Venus Williams. When Venus loses to anyone other than Serena, it's considered an upset.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DA FOREHAND said:
Depends on what you mean by #2 if you mean ranking or second best player on the tour. If it's the former then of course that's Kim, the latter would have to go w/Venus Williams. When Venus loses to anyone other than Serena, it's considered an upset.
The poll says "based on your own criteria." If you personally judge players' achievements based on their rankings then you'd probably choose Kim. If you think Slam titles mean the most, then you'd probably choose Justine. If you think 3 Slam finals > 1 Slam title, you'd probably choose Venus. If you think winning Tour Championships combined with being the No.2 in rankings trumps other accomplishments then maybe you vote for Kim.

If you're biased anyway and don't care and just want to vote for your fave, then you vote for your fave. :eek:

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Well let me make it easier for you. I think Venus Williams is the second best player on the WTA tour, second only to Serena Williams, who happens to be her sister.

·
Registered
20,884 Posts
Kim is the obvious number two based on her results from the past 52 weeks. I'd say the debate is who is the real number three and I'd say Venus, even though she has not won a Slam since 2001, but she has more title wins and is slightly more consistent than Justine, IMO.

·
Mean Admin Machine, Admeanistrator
31,158 Posts
my personal criteria will always be the rankings, so i voted Clijsters

·
Banned
3,412 Posts
This is how I define best = When these 3 players meetup on most of the surfaces, which one is considered the favourite + which player do other players try to avoid the most in their draw.

here is how I rank them:
2)venus
3)Kim
4)justine

·
Registered
17,877 Posts
Serena. Venus. Kim. Justine.

in that order.

·
8,026 Posts
lizchris said:
Kim is the obvious number two based on her results from the past 52 weeks. I'd say the debate is who is the real number three and I'd say Venus, even though she has not won a Slam since 2001, but she has more title wins and is slightly more consistent than Justine, IMO.

Not this year she doesn't have more titles....and I don't think even in the last 52 weeks does she have more titles then Justine......

·
8,026 Posts
I think it's pretty plain to see that all the Williams fans put Justine at #4 :angel: No Comment

·
Registered
17,877 Posts

·
8,026 Posts
you really wanna show me that cari? I COULD point out that Venus is 4-4 in 3 setters while Justine is 11-1 and Venus is 2-2 in tie-breaks while Justine is 6-1
:angel:

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.