Tennis Forum banner

Who is best?

61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Your fav could never....
9,193 Posts
Stephens is not the lowest. Sorry, you can vulture the tour all you want but you're not higher than a slam winner who backed it up with a 1000 and a slam final (set and break up over Halep).

Shriver
Krejcikova
Stephens
Pliskova
Radwanska
Then why did you put slamless Shriver ahead of Krejcikova and Stephen’s then? :unsure:

·
Registered
21,804 Posts
Yeah, that's cute, but who cares. People remember winners, people who actually won titles. Like it or not, Ostapenko for example is ahead of Shrivers, as she has a Roland Garros title.
Shriver had to deal with Navratilova and Evert, GOAT contenders. Ostapenko got Woz and Halep, both slamless at the time. Big difference. Also Shriver had 21 GS doubles titles including winning 9 GS doubles titles in a row and a 109-match winning streak spanning over more than 2 years. Nothing Ostapenko has can equate.

Now we will also say Raducanu > Shriver based on that one slam.

Reactions: Shvedbarilescu

·
Registered
7,156 Posts
Shriver had to deal with Navratilova and Evert, GOAT contenders. Ostapenko got Woz and Halep, both slamless at the time. Big difference. Also Shriver had 21 GS doubles titles including winning 9 GS doubles titles in a row and a 109-match winning streak spanning over more than 2 years. Nothing Ostapenko has can equate.

Now we will also say Raducanu > Shriver based on that one slam.
Again, this is the singles forum, not the doubles. Plus, excuses about eras doesn't make the cut, you play who's in front of you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not sure who the 'greatest' is, but my fav is Pam. Her "Wickmayer" incident, awkward interviews with fans in the stands, and golden on-court moments in general are worth the equivalent of about 5 singles grand slams IMO... lol.

I always find it fascinating that she only elected to enter the singles draw at Roland Garros twice in her whole career, despite her ranking always being high enough. I know she wanted to keep herself fresh for grass season, and didn't love red clay, but especially unusual considering she entered the RG doubles six times (and won the title 4x out of the 6), plus all her peers made the trip there. So she was there on-site in Paris playing doubles but just chose to sit out the singles. 😂 Definitely something we are unlikely to see these days as the slam prize money has increased even for a R1 loss.
Back then, the rankings were based on a player's point average per tournament. So if a player didn't think she would go far (e.g. Pam in any event on clay), she often chose not to play, wanting to avoid her ranking taking a nosedive.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Shriver obviously. She played during the most dominated era of tennis with Evert and Navratilova competing on a WEEKLY basis. Had either of those two players not been in the picture, her accomplishments would have been incredible. Stephens, Krejcikova will more then likely be one Slam wonders, Radwanska and Pliskova have had more solid careers but had the misfortune of playing at a time when Serena was winning slams on a consistent basis. But of the players, Shriver is clearly ahead of the others.

·
Registered
13,366 Posts
Shriver's doubles results are heaviley skewed because for most of her career she has been coattailing Navratilova, the far superior player of the 2. Aside of the fact that there was near zero competition anyway. The past really is rosy, isn't it.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Shriver easily. She also has the highest win % of all of this group, and played in a stronger era, imo. The dominating doubles record has to count for something. I mean 21 doubles slam titles, not to mention CYGS in dubs.

Of the rest, Radwanska, Pliskova, Stephens, Krej.

A better comparison: Shriver v. Wozniacki?

·
Registered
10,968 Posts
Are ya really rating Radwanska and Pliskova higher then Stephens and Brab Krej ? lmao

• Wow
Reactions: Hanan Ubis

·
Registered
Federer, Sampras, Graf, Hingis
126 Posts
Its an insult putting Pam shriver name here. There is no comparison at all of her with the rest. Surprised to see Radwanska getting so many votes.
Sloane stephen is technically the second best after Shriver, its just that she has something wrong up there in her head. Beyond me as to why she just cant bring up that consistency.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Radwanska had a excellent career with many titles (20)

She faced absolute Peak Serena in her maiden GS final, while Stephens faced Keys (she made another GS final however against Halep, multiple GS champion and former #1)

Krejcikova has still time to accomplish better than Radwanska by winning WTA 1000 and YEC, but I'am not really sure if she will do.

Pliskova has quite many titles too. She is just slightly under Radwanska (2 GS finals against 1, but 0 YEC against 1)

·
Registered
10,968 Posts
I still IMO will ranked Sloane and Brab higher then Radwanska and Pilskova and I’m fan of Radwanska. My reason for ranking sloane and Brab higher is due to sloane did back her slam result up by making another slam final. Plus Brab have double slams under her belt as well.

·
Registered
10,968 Posts
And maybe ya shoulda added Samantha Stosur in mix as well

61 - 80 of 94 Posts