Tennis Forum banner

Who is greater: Halep, Azarenka, or Kvitova?

• Halep

Votes: 75 67.6%
  • Azarenka

Votes: 22 19.8%
  • Kvitova

Votes: 14 12.6%

• Total voters
61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
🔴27-04-19 ⚫
13,538 Posts
Winning slams on clay and the next year on grass is quite an amazing feat so I'll go for Simona. Vika is a close second though.

·
Registered
229 Posts
You could say peak Vika because she would hit Simona off the court surely, but from achievements it's clearly Simona. Also Vika is most likely done (this Wimbledon was her best chance I guess) and Simo will likely get the Career Slam with Cahill, especially now where it is a likely goal.

·
Registered
17,392 Posts
The glorifying. A year when Eugenia can make a GS F + 2 GS SF and VIP mount a "comeback" is by definition the opposite of a strong era. The same goes for a deeply flawed Sloane going deep in all slams in 2013 (when Bartoli won one) and Errani making 2 YEC in a row, or a past her peak Jankovic, Walking Bye Navarro and Kirilenko making the top 10 in those years, Vinci and Flavia playing a GS F... at the time everyone was moaning and bitching about weak eras when all that was happening.
I love this assertion that the 2011-2015 era was this amazingly competitive beacon of quality for the WTA. And that everything since is a cesspool. Wake up, Pearl: 2011 to 2015 was also pretty crappy. And even if it wasn't as crappy, you can't just assume that those who did well during that time will suddenly be killing it today. Kvitova has had incredible moments of quality and improvement in the last couple of years, and she hasn't been killing it at the slams. The mathematics that people try to build up here don't add up.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Simona....not a fan of her game but she has been consistent at top for nearly 5-6 years now...has 2 slams, reached multiple slam finals, reached finals in 3 different GS. Has better resume and consistency than the other 2.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Good on you for making the poll, but certainly you could have included Kerber and Woz?

I would go with this:

1.Halep
2.Kerber
3.Azarenka
4.Wozniacka
5.Kvitova

Might do a breakdown later but as far as I remember achievements of each this is the way they rank.
This is... WRONG actually.

I did a breakdown and here's what I got:

1.Azarenka(still...)
2.Halep
3.Kvitova
4.Woz(basically tied with Kvitova though)
5.Kerber(quite distant)

I underestimated achievements of all players pre 2012, which is how I overrated Kerber compared to others.

/thread ;)

·
Registered
16,442 Posts
You could say peak Vika because she would hit Simona off the court surely, but from achievements it's clearly Simona. Also Vika is most likely done (this Wimbledon was her best chance I guess) and Simo will likely get the Career Slam with Cahill, especially now where it is a likely goal.

Oh my :facepalm:

If anything, Wimbledon was a great tournament for Vika becuase she played good tennis until she met the eventual Champion.
Halep likely winning the Career Slam? :spit: Let's not go overboard given her poor final record recently.

But you're right that peak Vika would hit Simona off the court :yeah:

·
Banned
446 Posts
This is... WRONG actually.

I did a breakdown and here's what I got:

1.Azarenka(still...)
2.Halep
3.Kvitova
4.Woz(basically tied with Kvitova though)
5.Kerber(quite distant)

I underestimated achievements of all players pre 2012, which is how I overrated Kerber compared to others.

/thread ;)
1. Halep
2. Kerber
3. Azarenka
4. Wozniacki
5. Kvitova

Kerber is there, I know she has 3 Slams but lost 1 final. Halep has 2 Slams and lost another 3 finals. But Halep beats her without discussion in consistency and Premiers (best player in Premier semifinals in the last 6 years, surpassed Serena). So I think Halep is clearly superior but Kerber is close.

Azarenka lost the 3 matches against Halep, last 2 were straight sets barely reached 4. Has 2-2, Kerber has 3-1 is being more proved because of this era. The current era doesn't allow Azarenka and Sharapova to reach once again the top. Kim Clijsters returned from pregnancy and was winning Slam(s). Serena played finals, but maybe the age or lack of activity isn't helping her.

So yes, I know it sounds crazy, but there is much more competition today than when Azarenka played.

Soon I might expect Pliskova to do much better and I hope Stephens.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
1. Halep
2. Kerber
3. Azarenka
4. Wozniacki
5. Kvitova

Kerber is there, I know she has 3 Slams but lost 1 final. Halep has 2 Slams and lost another 3 finals. But Halep beats her without discussion in consistency and Premiers (best player in Premier semifinals in the last 6 years, surpassed Serena). So I think Halep is clearly superior but Kerber is close.

Azarenka lost the 3 matches against Halep, last 2 were straight sets barely reached 4. Has 2-2, Kerber has 3-1 is being more proved because of this era. The current era doesn't allow Azarenka and Sharapova to reach once again the top. Kim Clijsters returned from pregnancy and was winning Slam(s). Serena played finals, but maybe the age or lack of activity isn't helping her.

So yes, I know it sounds crazy, but there is much more competition today than when Azarenka played.

Soon I might expect Pliskova to do much better and I hope Stephens.
I gotta say I did not follow WTA in 2011, don't know the level of play. If AO 2012 SF is any indication though it was not worse than today. I didn't realize Azarenka had a great year there. Surely Azarenka 2012 and Kerber 2016 rank above any season of Halep. But overall, maybe you're right about Halep on top. But I'd still put Azarenka above Kerber(and the other two also above Kerber but that is controvesial I know).

Pliskova has a long way to go, she would need a couple outstanding seasons and time is no longer on her side.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Simona certainly owns the “best of these three” honors.

For me, her Slam wins on two different, disparate surfaces seal the deal ... as well as her fine record in the multi-events.

I do think Kvitova is ahead of Azarenka, though. No matter what anyone says, Wimbledon is the pinnacle of the sport, the true and constant “Championships.”

It is unlikely that Azarenka will climb out of her hole to win another Grand Slam (or even reach the SF of a Slam) but Kvitova is still in the hunt for at least another year before her incredible burst of adrenalin and revitalization hits a big wall.

Kvitova has another year before I think the emotional sand will just empty out of her hourglass. Understandably. This is not in any way a knock on Kvitova.

Simona now believes in herself in the most supreme way a tennis player can believe in herself. If the hunger remains this strong, she could win the US Open this year and after that?

She could match Justine’s numbers, reasonably. No more than that.

Azarenka is finished. Simona will rise further. The big question mark is Kvitova: after all she has overcome, after all the emotions and adrenalin spewed, she has to win this upcoming US Open to even remotely hang on to elite status. Otherwise, I see Petra folding like a tent next year and possibly even retiring.

And we have to see which new, secret champion is lurking amid the sea of Everybody Else.

Some great champ is lurking there.

But Azarenka? Done. Ostapenko? Done. Muguruza? Done.

Azarenka has at least a bit of an excuse for her inability to regain former heights.

But Ostapenko and Muguruza cannot hit such horrid depths while still in their youth, after winning Slams, and ever recover, in my opinion.

Maybe Mugu could have a spurt, with a new coach ... but she just seems so freaking EXHAUSTED to my eyes. So so exhausted.

Ostapenko is a one-slam wonder and a pork dumpling. She can kiss her career goodbye.

It’s all about momentum in the women’s game—who’s got hold of it, and who is still clinging to outlying scraps of it.

·
Banned
446 Posts
Ostapenko didn't hire a good coach in my opinion. She lost way too much time since her Slam win. Now she can retire and spend her money with family. She only wants to be trained by them and by unknown coaches. Typically spoiled kid attitude.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Ostapenko is to young to rule her out, but she isn't part of the discussion.

I also think 2 Wim > 2 AO, but Azarenka was also #1, Kvitova wasn't, so Azarenka > Kvitova.

I also think it's a shame that Kvitova wasn't #1 and Pliskova was, but that's that.

·
Registered
7,890 Posts
Azarenka ,Kvitova are legends and actually talented .its crap seeing that girl Help having same number of slams as them.But anyway,winning slams back at time was harder and level was higher,so... Azarenka /Kvitova is the answer.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
OP left out a few things. Petra and Vika also have Olympic medals to their resume while Simona doesn't.
I seem to remember at one point after winning RG Simona saying the Olympics was what she wanted next so that could change.Though I think it's actually quite tricky - to be on form for a tournament that only happens every four years. It's kind of a small window of opportunity.

Anyway I couldn't say who was greatest. They all have different strengths and I admire them all - even the one who sounds like a confused owl.And frequently plays like one these days too.:hug:

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
she's a 30 year old mom, stfo
And Serena is a 37 year old mom who just played her 3rd Slam final in the last 12 months. And Clijsters won 3 of her 4 slams after giving birth, but she was younger, so I'll cut you some slack on that one. Maybe try that whole excuse again.

When she gets back into form and stars winning it's all good, I mean she was supposed to crush Halep, right? Weren't those your words? And yes, she did technically win just as many games as Serena against the current Wimbledon champion, but do you seriously think she would have gotten more than 2 against the Halep Serena faced today in the final?

The whole mom thing worked for like a year or two, but then Serena came back and was into a Slam final less than a year after almost dying because of complications from childbirth. And did I mention she's also almost 8 years older?

Sorry to break your imagination bubble you got going there but Azarenka lost the plot with the top of the tour even before having Leo. She had a good 5 years and a great 3 of those, but starting 2014 (two and a half years before she took a break to have Leo) she was never the same and you know it. Where she is now is not as far from her 2014 form as you'd like to think she is.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ostapenko is to young to rule her out, but she isn't part of the discussion.

I also think 2 Wim > 2 AO, but Azarenka was also #1, Kvitova wasn't, so Azarenka > Kvitova.

I also think it's a shame that Kvitova wasn't #1 and Pliskova was, but that's that.
Did you see Pliskova at Eastbourne? She absolutely destroyed Kerber with precision and firepower, and it wasn't that Kerber was bad. Halep beat Williams with consistency and determination , i.e. she let Williams beat herself; she certainly didn't overpower her.

Kvitova on her day can be a force , Azarenka as well; but until Pliskova and them can demonstrate some consistency, players like Barty and Halep will continue to outlast them in the tournaments.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Did you see Pliskova at Eastbourne? She absolutely destroyed Kerber with precision and firepower, and it wasn't that Kerber was bad. Halep beat Williams with consistency and determination , i.e. she let Williams beat herself; she certainly didn't overpower her.

Kvitova on her day can be a force , Azarenka as well; but until Pliskova and them can demonstrate some consistency, players like Barty and Halep will continue to outlast them in the tournaments.
You can't make an opinion based on 1 tournament, especially 1 match! It depends on so many factors ... health, confidence, match-up (very important), surface, mood etc
Kvitova on her day, indeed, can be a force, but it also matters who is on the other side of the net ;)

·
Registered
16,442 Posts
Sorry to break your imagination bubble you got going there but Azarenka lost the plot with the top of the tour even before having Leo. She had a good 5 years and a great 3 of those, but starting 2014 (two and a half years before she took a break to have Leo) she was never the same and you know it. Where she is now is not as far from her 2014 form as you'd like to think she is.

WTF? Vika was the best player in the beginning of 2016 (which is last time I checked AFTER 2014), won IW and Maimi back to back which is rarely EVER done before she had to take a long break from the Tour. Either you completely forgot about that or you are intellectually DISHONEST with your biased argumentation. You are lucky that I even bothered to answer to that BS you just wrote.

NEXT!

61 - 80 of 95 Posts