Tennis Forum banner

Year End #1

• Justine: She'll be back and become invincible.

Votes: 18 21.4%
  • Kim: She is going to recover and come back to finally win a slam

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Amelie: with all the players out, she just might have a chance

Votes: 31 36.9%
  • Serena: She has such a great W/L record this year, I expect her to continue

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Venus: She is going to charge into #1 this year

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • other Americans: Lindsay and Jennifer, whose consistency can help them

Votes: 10 11.9%
  • One of the Russian slam winner: Maria and Nastya can still do it

Votes: 11 13.1%
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently Amelie Mauresmo is leading the Race to Championship :eek: .
And she is the most consistent and healthiest player so far in the tour. This year has really been bizzard since we have had 12 different semifinalists already. Which means the points are spread out everywhere. With the Belgian sisters off the court and Williams sisters far behind. Amelie is my pick to become #1 in the world, and she can actually do it without a slam. She can do it by winning the WTA Champ like Martina Hingis and Lindsay Davenport who ended up in 2000/2002 as #1 in the world without a slam. Seems to happen every 2 years with 1998 being pretty bizzard too.

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
Yes! very hard to say :rolleyes: with Kim and Henin not around, Momo can finish as #1, But I have a feeling that Serena will win the U.S.Open, so she could still be in that top place

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
Well - Justine/Kim have loads of points to defend from this time last year

Justine - US Open; Zurich; San Diego

Kim - Stanford; Filderstadt; LA; Season-Ending Championships

so they have the comeback from injury to get over too.

Anastasia Myskina has Moscow and Leizpig (400+ points where she beat the world #1 and #2 = 175 points alone)

while Serena and Venus have nothing and can climb, climb, climb at least back to No. 6-8

·
Registered
27,926 Posts
LenaD

·
Banned
2,910 Posts
So you think Venus Serena and Kim now have a bigger chance than Nastya:eek:
You are:cuckoo:

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
555 Posts
CJK said:
Currently Amelie Mauresmo is leading the Race to Championship :eek: .
And she is the most consistent and healthiest player so far in the tour. This year has really been bizzard since we have had 12 different semifinalists already. Which means the points are spread out everywhere. With the Belgian sisters off the court and Williams sisters far behind. Amelie is my pick to become #1 in the world, and she can actually do it without a slam. She can do it by winning the WTA Champ like Martina Hingis and Lindsay Davenport who ended up in 2000/2002 as #1 in the world without a slam. Seems to happen every 2 years with 1998 being pretty bizzard too.
True...She is by far the most consistent player on the tour. But she isn't the healthiest player too. If you'd look at the Wimby Semi-Final, she suffered from what was a recurrence of her back injury. Now, I don't suppose you'd call that as healthy. It's just that the tour just got more competitive this year. More players are beginning to believe that it is indeed POSSIBLE to defeat the Williams sisters. No one is unbeatable. Even Momo ain't unbeatable. Momo is beginning to believe in herself. Look at that! She hadn't choked at the Wimby Semi-Final. ( Which was something I'd thought would happen ). Playing with more self-assurance and perfecting her strokes will probably get her there. As for the GS, well, she'd might just win one soon. Let's just keep our fingers crossed.

·
Banned
184 Posts
Lindsay has no points to defend from last years indoor season i think she can do it if it is possible!!

·
Registered
962 Posts
With Justine we have to wait and see when she does return and how her level of play will be like. She has lots of points to defend but she still could to it. Just because Serena and Venus have struggled don't mean that Justine will struggle as much as they have. She may very well surprise us all.

Lindsay has a good chance, as long as she is healthy she could even win the US Open and then do well the rest of the year and end as the world number one.

Also Amelie may do the same as long as she stays healthy or Anastasia too.

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
too hard to say, i say amelie if she can continue with her consistent slam results and good results at other tourneys

·
Banned
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Because Kim was #1 and she can still win slams:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I think Momo has the greatest chance if she does well. I really don't expect Justine to come back at full form and 120% fit, when she can barely train right now ( even though that'd be great). Venus and Serena can only play for points with nothing to lose, but I don't think that they can earn enough to come back to #1 before the end of the year ( but you never know).
I don't know about Myskina, if she performs really well who knows. But right now, my money is on Momo IF Justine isn't performing well and loses her points and IF Momo does well.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Momo is the most likely player to be No.1 Then there's Nastya. If Nastya passes Amelie now and becomes No1 I definitely see her staying there too.

·
Registered
13,640 Posts
Justine ... or Mauresmo :)

Amelie has a lot more to defend in the Championships so Ithink it's gonna depend on that :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts