Tennis Forum banner

who is better

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
No argue that Kerber is better offensive player and can hit some insane winners but in terms of pure defense maybe Wallniacki has the edge?
What do you think?

For me Kerber is definitely more willing to take risks and that leads to more UE's from her side.

Wozniacki is so steady with her defense moving very well from side to side with anticipation which eventually leads her opponents to hit more UE's and to frustration as she can grind forever. Her matches against Sharapova are good example of that.
She definitely can't switch from defense to offense as well as Kerber but then again in terms of pure defense and ability to push the ball back endlessly I think she is the better one.

·
Registered
15,156 Posts
Woz is....mainly because woz is shameless. Kerber after a while will feel pressure and attack. Woz can focus on pure defense for 2 hours if needed. Even aga will get frustrated after defending for a while

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Kerber is faster around the court imo. Her footspeed enables her to make "impossible" gets that even Wozniacki can't reach. She can also do more with the ball once there.

Wozniacki is better at keeping rallies in neutral and she probably has the best stamina on tour (not that Kerber's stamina isn't great).

·
Registered
23,230 Posts
as for in "who's the better pushing defender" the answer can't be more obvious tho, especially since kerber is considered to be a counterpuncher by definition. :lol:

·
Registered
114,477 Posts
Wozniacki, Halep and kerber are probably the best defenders on the tour. This was the first time they all made the same slam semi. Kerber beat Wozniacki in 2016 US Open semis
I think Stephens is a level below them but also a defender with a lot of speed
Among them this is the 4th slam win in the last 9 majors
Serena 2, Muguruza 2, Ostapenko the other slam

This was all after Vinci beat Serena in NY, probably the turning point in this era, like 2008 losing Henin, Sharapova, and Venus' illness, was a turning point

·
Registered
20,780 Posts
Kerber is very good at defending from the extremities. Defends angles brilliantly due to her footwork. The lefty helps too. Wozniacki is more of a solid immovable sponge, she absorbs everything back at you with general good depth. Li chucked the kitchen sink at her in 2011 but Woz took it like it was nothing and had all the time in the world. Kerber makes defense look like hard work but for Woz she loves it and isn't even trying.

Reactions: zim and gold fangs

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
Kerber is very good at defending from the extremities. Defends angles brilliantly due to her footwork. The lefty helps too. Wozniacki is more of a solid immovable sponge, she absorbs everything back at you with general good depth. Li chucked the kitchen sink at her in 2011 but Woz took it like it was nothing and had all the time in the world. Kerber makes defense look like hard work but for Woz she loves it and isn't even trying.

That was one of La Borz best matches ever and she still lost. Li didn’t know where to hit at.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Omg this match :hysteric: why do I have a feeling La Borz had better forehand back then than nowdays ? :eek:h:

·
Registered
114,477 Posts
I think Wozniacki did have a better forehand back in 2009-early 2011. But now her serve is better
I really liked her groundstroke game back then. Its not as smooth now, she's trying to do things she isnt good at.

·
Art & Futures
20,618 Posts
Kerber

Wozniacki plays great neutralizing tennis... that is neutralizing the point as much as possible, hitting consistently deep shots but not being a supreme defender, and even less of an offensive player.

Reactions: ishgever

·
Banned
34,748 Posts
Wozniacki isn't really neutralising the point, she's hitting deep enough and mechanical enough to make all your racket preparations look dumb. She really puts allot of pressure on the opponents coach on whether his charges preparation was good enough. :lol: She makes it look effortless, she memorises her opponents game plan within the first three games, and leaves it up to whether they are willing to play outside their skin to win or not. She rarely seems down on herself, but it's then when she starts gifting which isn't even part of her abilities, she's either the toughest player to beat, or a walking shadow of herself. :lol:

·
Registered
27,027 Posts
Kerber. As a tennis player I'd rather have Kerber's defensive skills than Wozniacki's. Kerber's defense is better in that it can be an asset not only against error-prone players but also against the big hitters having a good day, as she can redirect the ball quite well off of a hard hit shot and she can also hit great shots / winners on the run. Wozniacki's defense on the other hand can be an asset only against error-prone players, whereas against big hitters on a good day, it is a liability more than it is an asset.

Kerber is also better at moving forward compared to Wozniacki who's only good at moving from side to side.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Woz defense is more effortless. Kerber looks like she’s trying hard which she is. That’s why I think Kerber was so gassed by the end of the tournament.
Wozniacki is actually pretty tall at 5'10". Kerber and Halep are both shorter, the latter significantly so. I think the reach that gives her, combined with her great anticipation, natural speed and stamina probably accounts for her seemingly effortless defense. She can reset points with frustrating regularity especially against players that are reluctant to come to the net.

IMO Wozniacki has pretty good natural gifts as a player and I think her successful career to date has come from relying on them without pushing past her comfort zone. For example, if she became a bit more offensively inclined so she didn't have to defend unecessarily she would be even more dangerous. I think the improved serve at the end of last year was a positive sign. At her height a decent serve should be achievable.

Kerber is a great defender too and it's hard for me to rate them in terms of athleticism. But she definitely beats Wozniacki at turning a defensive scramble into an attack. When Wozniacki would throw up a lob to reset the point, Kerber will often find an angle that suddenly puts her opponent in trouble if not out of the point altogether.

·
Registered
114,477 Posts
I'm not sure how you totally separate defense from the complete package. Caroline's defense has made up for some weak serving, poor volleying and her forehand.
This final is 2 of the defensive greats, just liek Haleps SF was 2 of the defensive greats. And it probably wont be defense that decides it. Probably be nerves and serves

·
Registered
247 Posts
Wozniacki, Halep and kerber are probably the best defenders on the tour. This was the first time they all made the same slam semi. Kerber beat Wozniacki in 2016 US Open semis
I think Stephens is a level below them but also a defender with a lot of speed
Among them this is the 4th slam win in the last 9 majors
Serena 2, Muguruza 2, Ostapenko the other slam

This was all after Vinci beat Serena in NY, probably the turning point in this era, like 2008 losing Henin, Sharapova, and Venus' illness, was a turning point
These three and in this order.

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
I'm not sure how you totally separate defense from the complete package. Caroline's defense has made up for some weak serving, poor volleying and her forehand.
This final is 2 of the defensive greats, just like Haleps SF was 2 of the defensive greats. And it probably wont be defense that decides it. Probably be nerves and serves
Kerber’s defense is more comparable to a Jankovic or Clijsters type which leads to early burn-out. Wozniacki’s defense is more methodical and she hardly ever gets injured for a reason. Also, Kerber is probably not going to be moving the same way in the first hour than she would in the 3rd hour of a match. In that Halep match she was getting many balls back at the end but there was nothing barely on her shits so Halep continued to dictate. Woz movement and defense can actually improve the longer the match goes on.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Radwanska

1 - 20 of 26 Posts