Tennis Forum banner
101 - 118 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Goerges’ serve was super effective but not classically aesthetically perfect!

Siniakova has a pretty ugly serve and yes, Ostapenko too.
Serena’s is hands down the best. If her serve wasn’t as special as it is, I think you could probably knock a couple of slams off the total! In terms of the mechanics I love Kvitova’s serve. Very elegant - effective but not fast compared to most top players.

Reactions: Perun

·
Registered
11,138 Posts
Some weird ones not mentioned so far.

Anastasia Gasanova and her rocking backwards and forwards.

Emiliana Arango and the way she throws the ball backwards over her head and hits it from behind. Strange.

·
Registered
15,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 · (Edited)
Taller players look more aesthetic on serve (i.e. Julia Goerges), those smaller ones literally try to throw their entire body into that serve and it looks borderline awkward at times. Konta & Errani have two service motions that are helluva annoying.
But Konta's serve when she's on is arguably her best shot though and it is rather her preparation than the motion itself that is ugly. On the other hand Errani, yikes. There are some WTA players that seem to have 'all arm' serves like Brengle or Hsieh which seem pretty mind-boggling to me at this level.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Ostapenko's service motion is terribly ugly.

Reactions: Perun

·
Registered
192 Posts
Serena of active players. Of former players, I always like Conchita's service motion. It was very fluid with a very low ball toss.

·
Premium Member
28,510 Posts
Best Current: Barty / Serena / Kvitova
Best retired: Davenport / Pierce / Sharapova (2008 version)

101 - 118 of 118 Posts