Tennis Forum banner
81 - 100 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Best: Serena. I also like Petra's. Raducanu has a beauty as well. I'm convinced it's what brought her the open.

There's just so much bad.

·
Registered
Kerber, Linette, Radwańska, Kuznetsova, Svitolina, Barty, Collins, Clijsters, Henin.
228 Posts
I'm deeply in love with your threads and on the other hand we had these Raducanu/Fernandez bullshit topics like IS raDUcanU DOne!?!?!?!

Answering your question, the most aesthetic is probably Barty's service motion. It's so natural and harmonic. The worst, I would say that Hsieh service motion is kina dreadful.

·
Registered
Kerber, Linette, Radwańska, Kuznetsova, Svitolina, Barty, Collins, Clijsters, Henin.
228 Posts
I'm deeply in love with your threads and on the other hand we had these Raducanu/Fernandez bullshit topics like IS raDUcanU DOne!?!?!?!

Answering your question, the most aesthetic is probably Barty's service motion. It's so natural and harmonic. The worst, I would say that Hsieh service motion is kinda dreadful

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
It's not ugly but Iga has this look she gives to her racquet a second before she serves. It's very Iga 😆

·
Banned
8,416 Posts
It's not ugly but Iga has this look she gives to her racquet a second before she serves. It's very Iga 😆
iga has the same Nadal tics, before she serves
tic to the ground, look in the sky, tic to her shoe shole, pulled hair behind her ears, looks again in the sky and then she is ready to serve

·
Registered
8 Posts
Rybakina has the most aesthetically pleasing service motion I've ever seen (even including all men), it's just perfect from start to finish.

Barty would be Nr. 2, she also has a really great rhythm on her serve.

Others I quite like are Svitolina, Swiatek and Andreescu.

Kerber has one of the ugliest for sure 🙈

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Best - Serena - no contest.
Worst - Errani - no contest either.

Reactions: 'JCau98 and ChrisR

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Barty's motion is simple yet extremely athletic. She gets incredible reach and she really throws herself into the ball. It's so impressive that she's able to serve this big, and this consistently at 5'5. In other words, a technical masterpiece.
She's almost as tall as Stosur/Kerber so as long as their heights are listed correctly I think she's 5'7. I still think it's impressive, but the being 5'5 kind of impressive....I bet that's why she didn't change it!

·
Banned
15,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
She's almost as tall as Stosur/Kerber so as long as their heights are listed correctly I think she's 5'7. I still think it's impressive, but the being 5'5 kind of impressive....I bet that's why she didn't change it!
She's definitely shorter than Stosur / Kerber. I think the official data is correct in her case.

·
Banned
15,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Speaking of ugly service motions ... Sara Torribes Tormo has an ugly and inefficient one. It is odd to see a tall girl like her (1.76 m) serving only puffballs. That service motion reminds me old footage of players playing with wooden rackets from the 70s, who taught her that technique? Or is their simply some constraint in her and she cannot learn a different service motion?

Reactions: okay888

·
Registered
517 Posts
There was a girl I saw recently who literally pauses during her service motion. She pulls back, takes her a few seconds to complete, then tosses. Weirdest hitch I've seen in a long time. She was either a qualifier for Indian Wells or Chicago.

edit: Her name is Ziva Falkner and here is a Youtube Video isolated at the time of her serve

·
Banned
15,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Reactions: venusguga

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
Serena's of course is the best. Beautifully smooth and looks exactly the same every time regardless of whether she's hitting flat, slice, kick, etc.

Davenport had a beautiful service motion as well.

Ostapenko's is an eyesore. Antonella Serra-Zanetti is the ugly service motion GOAT, though.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Is there a anyone in the WTA who serves like Brayden Schnur or Thomas Enqvist?

·
Rise up from ignorance
20,597 Posts
Taller players look more aesthetic on serve (i.e. Julia Goerges), those smaller ones literally try to throw their entire body into that serve and it looks borderline awkward at times. Konta & Errani have two service motions that are helluva annoying.

Reactions: Perun and ALoveGame

·
Registered
467 Posts
Taller players look more aesthetic on serve (i.e. Julia Goerges), those smaller ones literally try to throw their entire body into that serve and it looks borderline awkward at times. Konta & Errani have two service motions that are helluva annoying.
That's a good point. "Good" looking serve doesn't mean the serve is actually technically good. Case in point: Barty, who also happens to be on the shorter side. I do not think it's particularly pretty, but it's incredibly athletic and technically sound and currently the best serve on tour. Taller players can get away without using their legs as much or really reaching for the ball. Davenport's, while looking pretty, is not really the kind of serve you want to teach or copy. It worked for her because she's tall and unathletic.

The one who combines all of that is Serena's. It's pretty, technically great and extremely athletic as well.

81 - 100 of 118 Posts