Tennis Forum banner
61 - 80 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
17,752 Posts
Possibly controversial choices but I always loved to watch the serves of both Giorgi and Goerges. The way Giorgi's arm goes up so quickly and hovers is simultaneously elegant and threatening, and I just find the elasticity of Goerges' service motion really fun. I could watch both of them ace or double fault all day, which is/was often what their matches are/were like anyway.
Why's that controversial? Julia Goerges's serve is one of the most (if not the most) effortless serve in the history of WTA. According to WTA's own speed guns, only Sabine Lisicki and the William sisters have hit harder than Goerges on the main draw (Not counting the likes of Goergina Garcia Perez and Brenda Schultz McCarty's exploits elsewhere).

Yet look at Julia's body: Very ordinary. She's not tall (like most of the big babes and ace queens who have angle advantage over the rest), she's not broad (like Serena or Sabine Lisicki or Ash Barty whose stronger core provides more stable support and easier body weight transfer into their shots). Yet Julia casually produces 124+ mp/h monster serves as if they are nothing. No sweat, no heavy breath, no noise. Just effortless extraordinary timing. I suspect it's down to the elasticity of her joints (flexibility). Similar to Andy Roddick on the men's side.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Why's that controversial? Julia Goerges's serve is one of the most (if not the most) effortless serve in the history of WTA. According to WTA's own speed guns, only Sabine Lisicki and the William sisters have hit harder than Goerges on the main draw (Not counting the likes of Goergina Garcia Perez and Brenda Schultz McCarty's exploits elsewhere).

Yet look at Julia's body: Very ordinary. She's not tall (like most of the big babes and ace queens who have angle advantage over the rest), she's not broad (like Serena or Sabine Lisicki or Ash Barty whose stronger core provides more stable support and easier body weight transfer into their shots). Yet Julia casually produces 124+ mp/h monster serves as if they are nothing. No sweat, no heavy breath, no noise. Just effortless extraordinary timing. I suspect it's down to the elasticity of her joints (flexibility). Similar to Andy Roddick on the men's side.
I assumed it would be controversial because technical criticism of Julia's service technique was common, despite the obvious strength of it. Commentators in particular liked to talk about her service technique being unorthodox, in a sort of "well, it works for her, but it probably shouldn't" way.

For me, Julia's serve was beautiful, but I assumed that others would favour simpler motions.

·
Registered
20,576 Posts
Nobody has mentioned Bartoli’s unique service motion yet?

I loved Graf’s (obviously), Davenport and Pierce. Their service motions were all distinctive. I used to also like Conchita Martinez’s - she used to sort of sway her hips, almost like a mini dance.

I was never a fan of Henin’s service motion, even though it was clearly very effective.

·
Registered
15,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I've always considered Pierce & Schnyder very elegant in their service motions.

Reactions: MoonballPusher

·
Premium Member
66,265 Posts
Stefi Vögele's is awful. Such an awful toss, omg.

I have always like Belinda's ball toss for the first serve for some reason...

Reactions: theperson

·
Registered
13,566 Posts
Ugly: Brengle, Ostapenko, Bouchard (there is something about her whole motion I don't like. I don't know anything about tennis techniques though), Errani
Nice: Serena

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
Stosur for sure. Kvitova, especially in 2011.

Ugliest: Sorribes Tormo. But that doesn't come as a surprise her entire game is atrocious looking.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
SST's service motion is probably the least aesthetic among top50 players

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Badosa's is very nice, and it's quite obvious that the worst is Brengle

·
Registered
448 Posts
Barty's motion is simple yet extremely athletic. She gets incredible reach and she really throws herself into the ball. It's so impressive that she's able to serve this big, and this consistently at 5'5. In other words, a technical masterpiece.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I haven't watched every single Raducanu match, but I did like her service motion/form when I saw her in the US Open. The high toss is terrific and she's very accurate (or at least she was there).

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Of the current players I've seen : SST's is awful.

Paula Badosa has a lovely one. Of the new gen, probably Raducanu.

·
Registered
391 Posts
There is no doubt in my mind that Sofia Kenin has a unique and perhaps even bizarre service motion. The only other player I’ve seen that comes close to possessing an equally bizarre service motion was Marion Bartoli. There’s also no doubt that no tennis coach would advocate mimicking either player’s style of serve. For that reason I’ve liked these players as I am partial to those who march to a different drummer. Interestingly enough each of these players had won a slam despite their unorthodox service motions.

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
Ugliest service motion? tie....Alison Riske and Sarah Sorribes Tormo....they make my eyes bleed watching it.

Honourable mention to Ostapenko and Kenin....for 'Penko may have something to do with her huge numbers of DF and looking like she will drown if it rains during her serving motion. For Kenin it's the no look toss...I mean WTF girl?

Best service motion? tie again. Raducanu and Rybakina. Both look so smooth and graceful. Honourable mention....Badosa and Anisimova. Tall players obviously have an advantage here.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Ugliest service motion? tie....Alison Riske and Sarah Sorribes Tormo....they make my eyes bleed watching it.

Honourable mention to Ostapenko and Kenin....for 'Penko may have something to do with her huge numbers of DF and looking like she will drown if it rains during her serving motion. For Kenin it's the no look toss...I mean WTF girl?

Best service motion? tie again. Raducanu and Rybakina. Both look so smooth and graceful. Honourable mention....Badosa and Anisimova. Tall players obviously have an advantage here.
Arm Racketlon Tennis Tennis Equipment Smile

61 - 80 of 118 Posts