Tennis Forum banner
41 - 60 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Yari's serve is supremely smooth and technically perfect.

·
Registered
11,059 Posts
Ostapenko has a very ugly service motion. Btw. I don't find Świątek's serve particularly visually apealing either.
I've actually been thinking lately that their service motions are very similar.
Konta has that ridiculous high ball bouncing routine that is annoying to watch.
Weird, isn't it? There are many other players who bounce the ball more than Konta's four times, but it's just the WAY she does it that drives me nuts.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
"WTA Aces 2021 so far

106 Barty 🇦🇺
99 Kudermetova 🇷🇺
96 Alexandrova 🇷🇺
90 Sabalenka 🇧🇾
88 Jabeur 🇹🇳
85 Osaka 🇯🇵
82 Ka Pliskova 🇨🇿
74 Muguruza 🇪🇸
73 Gauff 🇺🇲
71 Sakkari 🇬🇷"

Got this from twitter, asides from Sakkari who has a nice looking motion, I'm still not seeing your point.
What? Most of the girls have nice serve.

·
Registered
11,059 Posts
I really like Sofia Kenin s no-look/blind serve.. it s so unique.
Nope. Coco Vandeweghe does it in a very similar way, and she did it before Kenin.

And, just to save me looking any further, in this match she was playing the one who I think has the best-looking serve of the lot, Kristyna Pliskova.

These are from their match in Auckland on 30th December 2013.

And ugliest - it s kind of obvious - Errani
I would go for Brengle, but Errani is certainly worth a (dis)honourable mention. For cricket fans, Siniakova's service action always reminds me a bit of the great Australian fast bowler Jeff Thomson. :D

·
Registered
16,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·

·
Registered
21,805 Posts
Serena and Stosur best serves for sure. Barty also easy.

Konta's looks a bit hitchy.

Reactions: Perun

·
Registered
18,033 Posts
"WTA Aces 2021 so far

106 Barty 🇦🇺
99 Kudermetova 🇷🇺
96 Alexandrova 🇷🇺
90 Sabalenka 🇧🇾
88 Jabeur 🇹🇳
85 Osaka 🇯🇵
82 Ka Pliskova 🇨🇿
74 Muguruza 🇪🇸
73 Gauff 🇺🇲
71 Sakkari 🇬🇷"

Got this from twitter, asides from Sakkari who has a nice looking motion, I'm still not seeing your point.
Wow how the mighty have fallen.

The self decribed "ace queen" Ka Pliskova was once so far ahead of everyone else year after year — only Goerges and Serena could respectably keep up with her. Now even Mugs and Sakkari are chasing her close enough to grab her tail and breath on the back of her neck. Certanily Gauff will surpass her soon and she'll be the one organizing "ace for charity".

·
Registered
18,033 Posts
I really like Sofia Kenin s no-look/blind serve.. it s so unique.
Nope. Coco Vandeweghe does it in a very similar way, and she did it before Kenin.
View attachment 189813

And, just to save me looking any further, in this match she was playing the one who I think has the best-looking serve of the lot, Kristyna Pliskova.
Nope, not the same.

@havaj79 is correct to say Kinin's is unique, becase people call every such serve "no look serve" but actually Kenin does her "no look" much earlier, during the ball toss. In other words it's more akin to basketball's "no look pass" rather than other tennis players' no look serve.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Possibly controversial choices but I always loved to watch the serves of both Giorgi and Goerges. The way Giorgi's arm goes up so quickly and hovers is simultaneously elegant and threatening, and I just find the elasticity of Goerges' service motion really fun. I could watch both of them ace or double fault all day, which is/was often what their matches are/were like anyway.

41 - 60 of 118 Posts