Tennis Forum banner
21 - 40 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
8,721 Posts
Random choice but I always think Jankovic's serve circa 2008-2010 looked very smooth.

Of current players, Serena's obviously is textbook. Barty also has a good service motion- no kinks, no obvious technical glitches.
It was very smooth and put together. Just not as useful as we needed it to be. She could have popped a lot more on it. She started too after 2010 but it was too late the body was shutting down.

·
Registered
Serena! Naomi. Coco. Simona. Iga. Ashleigh.
3,207 Posts
Lol at everyone basically exposing their lack of knowledge outside the top players ... Anyways

Best looking: Hercog, Barthel and Diyas by far.

Worst looking: Hsieh, Brengle, Kerber, Errani, and DI LORENZO (her service motion is legit dangerous !!!)
Or it could just be that many of the top players got to the top with the best serves and the best technique.

·
Registered
9,418 Posts
Karolina Muchova and Ekaterina Alexandrova have very nice looking service motions.

My all time favourite WTA serve motion though is Mary Pierce. I always enjoyed watching her motion for some reason.

Ugliest is Errani, probably followed by Ostapenko (unfortunately) and Potapova. Sorribes Tormo’s serve motion is ugly too, it’s hard to believe a fairly tall girl can’t get more pop on her serve.

·
Registered
16,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I really like Sofia Kenin s no-look/blind serve.. it s so unique.
And ugliest - it s kind of obvious - Errani
To me it looks as if she stares at the ball too much, the other way around. Lol.

Reactions: EfremovaFan

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Which is completely off-topic in a discussion that has for main subject the most aesthetically pleasing service motions; So what is the point of your comment again ?? 😁
I think the best technique often does produce a good serve and an aesthetically pleasing one.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I think the best technique often does produce a good serve and an aesthetically pleasing one.
"WTA Aces 2021 so far

106 Barty 🇦🇺
99 Kudermetova 🇷🇺
96 Alexandrova 🇷🇺
90 Sabalenka 🇧🇾
88 Jabeur 🇹🇳
85 Osaka 🇯🇵
82 Ka Pliskova 🇨🇿
74 Muguruza 🇪🇸
73 Gauff 🇺🇲
71 Sakkari 🇬🇷"

Got this from twitter, asides from Sakkari who has a nice looking motion, I'm still not seeing your point.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
"WTA Aces 2021 so far

106 Barty 🇦🇺
99 Kudermetova 🇷🇺
96 Alexandrova 🇷🇺
90 Sabalenka 🇧🇾
88 Jabeur 🇹🇳
85 Osaka 🇯🇵
82 Ka Pliskova 🇨🇿
74 Muguruza 🇪🇸
73 Gauff 🇺🇲
71 Sakkari 🇬🇷"

Got this from twitter, asides from Sakkari who has a nice looking motion, I'm still not seeing your point.
Barty has an aesthetically pleasing serve, as many posters on here have already pointed out. It’s no wonder she’s serving well. She has one of the best techniques in women’s tennis. I think part of the reason Barty has been so successful is because she’s mastered the motion and technique. Meanwhile, compare her to Ostapenko or Errani. I haven’t seen them serve in a while, but last time I watched Ostapenko she looked like she was tossing the ball at random and wrenching her back, which looked not only painful, but she was also double faulting like crazy. As for Coco, I watched a match of hers once in which she rushed her motion, got frustrated by double faulting, and kept rushing and seemed to forget about technique more and more as the match wore on. If she calms down and improves her technique, she has the potential to be a very good server, I think. Right now she’s too erratic. Of those on the list you posted, none have an Ostapneko or Errani type of serve to me. Osaka and Pliskova both have pretty serves to me, though Karolina’s may not be as reliable as it was a few years back.

·
Registered
Steffi Graf, Monica Seles, Bianca Andreescu, Ashleigh Barty
31 Posts
Lol at everyone basically exposing their lack of knowledge outside the top players ... Anyways

Best looking: Hercog, Barthel and Diyas by far.

Worst looking: Hsieh, Brengle, Kerber, Errani, and DI LORENZO (her service motion is legit dangerous !!!)
Surely you're kidding. Diyas' serve looks atrocious

21 - 40 of 118 Posts