Tennis Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fuji in the chatroom posed this question and I told him that I think it was a good question and to post it but he didn't want too. So anyhow who do u think has the best consistant serve 1st and second for ALL surfaces?

I had to think for a moment, but had to say Serena. Seles is a close 2nd. Who do you all think?

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
Well, if I have to say, on clay, I would say probably Mary Pierce or Amelie Mauresmo, they can win a lot of points on clay off their serve.

On clay the most important is consistency and placement, and on grass it's definitely placement, it's difficult to say in the women's side but if you look at the men, the best servers on grass, Sampras and Goran don't have the fastest serves, by far.

Maybe overall it could be Davenport, as she can place it very well, Serena can as well but some times it goes totally off, but yes, I guess it would go to those two, however, I must add that on clay serve isn't really important.

·
Banned
692 Posts
The Belgiums Have mainly a good serve on every surface. But for te Number 1 it would come down t Davenport Or Serena

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hi, Dawn

My question was " Overall, which female player, in your opinion, is most capable of holding her own service game regaredless of surface?"

But still thank you for posting it on the message board.

My answer to my own question is Lindsay Davenport, followed by Serena and Venus Williams.

·
Registered
15,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hiya Fuji:wavey:

I so totally forgot about Lindsay!

·
Registered
15,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I say Seles would hold her serve more then Lindsay becasue she is a solid player on ALL surfaces, whereas Lindsay hates clay. She would have a harder time holding on clay. Holding serve is also about consistancy on ALL surfaces. Also Hingis would hold serve easily if she wasn't facing a power player. Venus on grass and hard yes but she makes too many errors on clay and rubber. Serena showed solid play on RG last year so I am going with her for all surfaces. Nope Seles with Serena and Lindsay tied for second.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would have to choose Serena. You name the type of serve, she's got it. Where as Davenport's kick serve isn't as affective as Serena's so her serve on clay would become less effective. I also rank Seles up there with Serena's serve the main difference is power.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I think everyone is forgeting Hantuchova, possibly cos she's relatively new but if you check out her serving stats for this AUS open they are pretty scary. In all three matches she was in the high 60s and early 70s for percentage first serves ..in the venus match her average first serve peed was the same as venus her average second serve speed a good 12kph faster than venus ( faster than martina hingis average first serve speed) ...she served many more times than venus ....probably indicating venus was returning very well and getting a lot of deuces on hantuchova serve ,but she still only hit 4 doublefaults same as venus .

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
I will pick SERENA and Davenport as co no. 2's in this interesting category.
But, since neither has conquered Roland Garros, I will pick Mary Pierce as having the best all court serve since she did win on the clay of Roland Garros and the fast courts of the Aussie Open.

·
Registered
10,848 Posts
I think Venus is the most effective on all surfaces but I have to disagree about Serena, at least right now because of her record on clay.

I only say this because she has yet to do any damage on clay. I think as she plays more clay-court matches, her big serve will eventually help her out but in the meantime, not yet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts