Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the '90's, people said Monica Seles had the best return-of-serve in the history of women's tennis. I recall Mary Carillo said this, and Nick Bolletieri once couldn't praise it enough.

But with the power servers of today, especially Venus and Serena, serves -- to me, at least -- seem harder to return than ever.

Is Monica still the best returner? If not, who is? Do you think she truly was at one time?

Also, while I'm on the subject, let me toss this out: I've lost count of the number of times I've heard TV commentators point out that if Monica (or anyone, I guess) would back up, she'd give herself more time to hit the Williams sisters' serves. None of them seem to realize that doing so would also open up the angle, and therefore nothing would be achieved. Am I off for thinking that?

·
Registered
9,981 Posts
Serena is a machine of returning serve, no errors and really tough to ace her.

·
Sabatini lover Forever
15,213 Posts
Serena Williams, have you seen how she returns some hard deliveries of Venus, Lindsay? Not to mention how she cracks second serves!

·
Keeper of Secrets
9,006 Posts
I have seen Serena return winners of Xavier's serve and Iroda's mixed doubles partner.

Serena has the best followed closely by Monica.

·
Registered
21,802 Posts
Serena, no question.

"I love returning serves. It's my specialty."
-- Serena J. Williams

If you want to see a match where she kills the serve of her opponent, take any of the past four grand slam finals and SF's vs. Lindsay at the Family Circle Cup. She kills.

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
I'd take Martina Hingis, extremely consistant and almost always deep, very few winners but .....

Serena (has to be rated the most feared )
Lindsay(used to be her specialty
Monica(mobility has weakend this shot for her also facing bigger servers)
Venus(Great reach, hard to ace/consistant
Jenn(very consistant)
Hingis(most consistant. if it's not an ace it's coming back)

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
Serena!!

Serena has the best return of serve right now, Venus, Capriati, Davenport (although not as lethal as she used to be) and Monica have good returns. Hingis was also pretty good in her time.

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
Pretty good? Nobody else spit back the biggest serves better or more consistantly than Hingis. She frustrated M. Phil., by consistantly returning his bombs in Hopman Cup.

·
Registered
9,981 Posts
DA FOREHAND said:
Pretty good? Nobody else spit back the biggest serves better or more consistantly than Hingis. She frustrated M. Phil., by consistantly returning his bombs in Hopman Cup.
OMG, Mark couldn't even consistanly ace Martina! :D

·
In my new place!!
22,955 Posts
My votes would be to Serena, Jen, Venus, and Monica... The best would easily be Serena.

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
Serena has the best forehand crosscourt return.

Venus has the best backhand return

Lindsay has the best return from BOTH sides, followed closely by Jen and Monica

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
tennisIlove09 said:
Serena has the best forehand crosscourt return.

Venus has the best backhand return

Lindsay has the best return from BOTH sides, followed closely by Jen and Monica

I can live with that.

Martina's return was underrated. If there were statistics, she'd probably be at or very near the top of returns back in play.

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,034 Posts
Elena Dementieva.. For a player with such a pathetic serve she wins awful lot of matches and makes a lot of breaks against the best sevrers..

THough the question of the best returner is hardly a correct question. For instance, they say that Agassi is the best returner of serve. But is he the best returner of , say, Sampras's serve? I'd say, he is one of the worst. So, I think, serves and returns can match well, or not..

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
"But is he the best returner of , say, Sampras's serve? I'd say, he is one of the worst. So, I think, serves and returns can match well, or not.."

Being the best returner of Pete's serve, is only relevant when he plays Pete. Andre returns serve better than anyone.

We now return to WTA tennis.

When Lindsay was on she was lethal off both wings, she's lost a bit of confidence, and has slipped in this catagory.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts