Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In this regard I mean the player that has had the most dominant run from the first round to lifting the trophy. I know that Nadal won the 2008 French open losing only 41 games and dropping no sets, with that being considered one of the most dominant of all time, but I want to know if anyone has done better.
For the sake of fairness please only provide answers of players who did not have any BYES as that would greatly reduce the games played and potentially lost.

·
Registered
11,804 Posts
If it's performance in the final, got to be Kvitova at Wimbledon 2014. But for the overall run, I would guess Serena at some point. Nadal's a tough comparison though, no one dominates like he does at a particular event.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
The answer to this SHOULD be Mary Pierce at RG 1994 but she was a bundle of nerves in the final. 😭 Before that match she had only dropped 10 games across SIX matches.

That's averaging just 1.2 games lost for every round lol. She dished out 5 bagels and 4 breadsticks and was in terrifying form.

Even though she did lose the final, I still don't think i've seen someone play that dominantly at a slam. Even world #1 and defending champ Graf was swept aside with ease (6-2 6-2 - almost half the total games lost for Mary to reach the final lol).

·
Premium Member
14,044 Posts
There's a list of titles won without dropping a set on Wikipedia so I took that and removed those that were won with less than 7 matches or less than 14 sets and sorted it by least games lost:

View attachment 174016
Re. Graf's 88 Roland Garros run. Nearly half of the games she lost (9 out of 20) were against Sabatini in the SF. She then double bageled Zvereva in 32 minutes in the final, losing only 13 points.

1R Graf def Guerree 6-0 6-4
2R Graf def Reis 6-1 6-0
3R Graf def Sloane 6-0 6-1
4R Graf def Tauziet 6-1 6-3
QF Graf def Fulco 6-0 6-1
SF Graf def Sabatini 6-3 7-6
F Graf def Zvereva 6-0 6-0

If it's performance in the final, got to be Kvitova at Wimbledon 2014. But for the overall run, I would guess Serena at some point. Nadal's a tough comparison though, no one dominates like he does at a particular event.
Much as I love Petra, what Steffi did to Natasha in the 88 RG final was on a whole different level. A truly horrific thrashing that was quite honestly hard to watch.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
The answer to this SHOULD be Mary Pierce at RG 1994 but she was a bundle of nerves in the final. 😭 Before that match she had only dropped 10 games across SIX matches.

That's averaging just 1.2 games lost for every round lol. She dished out 5 bagels and 4 breadsticks and was in terrifying form.

Even though she did lose the final, I still don't think i've seen someone play that dominantly at a slam. Even world #1 and defending champ Graf was swept aside with ease (6-2 6-2 - almost half the total games lost for Mary to reach the final lol).
Agreed. Even with a straight-set loss in the final, it's a games won % that rates #3 on the list above.

She was so, so, so dominant, and against a tough draw, too. Five of her opponents reached slam SF-or-better at some point in their career.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Much as I love Petra, what Steffi did to Natasha in the 88 RG final was on a whole different level. A truly horrific thrashing that was quite honestly hard to watch.
Zvereva never recovered, either. She was a barely-17-year-old in her first major final, and she would only ever make one more SF in her career, a decade later at Wimbledon.

·
Registered
112,980 Posts
Yes, when Sharapova beat Henin 64 60, Dementieva 62 60, Davenport 61 63, Jankovic 63 61, Vesnina 63 60... That was probably the best I've seen during a major, but first in a big tournament is Serena 2012 Olympics

·
Registered
754 Posts
In terms of domination AND quality of players.....Sharapova AO 2008. She went through Davenport, Vesnina, Dementieva, Henin, Jankovic and Ivanovic( the later 3 were top 10 at the time, with Henin at 1 and on a 20+ match win streak) with only ONE set going beyond 64.

·
Registered
754 Posts

Sharapova's 2013 AO run up to the semis 60 60 60 60 63 61 61 60 62 62.....NINE games lost (wins over Venus, Vesnina, Flipkens).

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Sharapova's 2013 AO run up to the semis 60 60 60 60 63 61 61 60 62 62.....NINE games lost (wins over Venus, Vesnina, Flipkens).
Sure, but I think dropping only 10 games going into the final is even better! ;)

Like @WilliamsOhanian said, even with Pierce's loss in the final she still had a more dominant game winning %age than everybody on that list who WON the tournament except for the top 2. The Sharapova 2013 tournament you mentioned must be one of the closest ones, but I would be surprised if there was ever someone who had better stats losing a tournament (and still going deep - so not including withdrawals) considering she has better stats than most people who win them!

Looks like Martina's US Open 1983 run holds the record overall, but that was that freakish year when she had a 98.9% W/L record (1 loss to 86 wins). A record in mens and womens tennis, I believe.

·
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
11,152 Posts
Well Pierce lost 6 in her run up to the SFs, lost 4 to Graf. So Pierce’s is still better even in that respect. Both impressive though, especially since their opponents weren’t bad.

·
Registered
17,595 Posts
Henin's RG run (maybe 2007) was pretty dominant. I'm sure there are more dominant runs than this. Possibly an Evert/Navratilova run?

Edit: How about Navratilova's 1983 USO run?
Justine's USO 2007 run was actually her most dominant: She bageled Goerges, Pirokova, Makarova, and Safina in the first four rounds. Serena and Sveta each received breadsticks. It's only Venus in the SF who didn't go to the bakery. But really the two TBs she played against the Williams sisters tip the scale to take her out of contention in this convo.

But look at it this way: Everyone she beat in this lineup would eventually make a slam SF.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Sure, but I think dropping only 10 games going into the final is even better! ;)

Like @WilliamsOhanian said, even with Pierce's loss in the final she still had a more dominant game winning %age than everybody on that list who WON the tournament except for the top 2. The Sharapova 2013 tournament you mentioned must be one of the closest ones, but I would be surprised if there was ever someone who had better stats losing a tournament (and still going deep - so not including withdrawals) considering she has better stats than most people who win them!

Looks like Martina's US Open 1983 run holds the record overall, but that was that freakish year when she had a 98.9% W/L record (1 loss to 86 wins). A record in mens and womens tennis, I believe.
Navratilova’s stats in 83-84 are insane. She lost only 3 matches in a span of 2 years if I remember correctly including 74 match winning streak which I don’t think anyone will ever break this record.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
In this regard I mean the player that has had the most dominant run from the first round to lifting the trophy. I know that Nadal won the 2008 French open losing only 41 games and dropping no sets, with that being considered one of the most dominant of all time, but I want to know if anyone has done better.
For the sake of fairness please only provide answers of players who did not have any BYES as that would greatly reduce the games played and potentially lost.

Stefan Edberg at the '91 USO. Still the most awesome start-to-finish Grand Slam performance ever. He tore every opponent he faced to shreds.

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
Pierce 1994 Roland Garros run came to my mind first. Outstanding but she didn't win the title plus Serena at the Olympics 2012 but that wasn't a slam.

So Navratilova 1983 US Open was probably the best run at a slam ever:

6-1 6-0 vs Rapponi
6-2 6-1 vs Allen
6-2 6-2 vs Gompert
6-0 6-1 vs Vasquez
6-0 6-3 vs Hanika (7)
6-2 6-1 vs Shriver (5)
6-1 6-3 vs Evert (2)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts