Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
In terms of most 3-set matches played which has had the most tricky road to lifting the trophy (not necessarily including saving MP) ? Graf winning 1999 RG win comes to mind :
r1 : 62 60 Maleeva
r2 : 62 64 Gorrochategui
r3 : 61 64 Carlsson
r4 : 63 76 Kournikova
QF : 61 67 63 Davenport
SF : 67 63 64 Seles
F : 46 75 62 Hingis

Chris Evert also won 3 matches in 3 sets on her run to win RG in 1986.

Anyone else ?

Registered
Serena FO 2015 was difficult and ghastly tbh.

Really pulled that slam out of a hat.

Five 3 setters all against seeds and an unseeded Sloane at the time.

R1: 6-2 6-3 Hlavackova
R2: 5-7 6-3 6-3 Friedsam
R3: 3-6 6-4 6-2 Azarenka
R4: 1-6 7-5 6-3 Stephens
QF: 6-1 6-3 Errani
SF: 4-6 6-3 6-0 Bacsinzky
F: 6-3 6-7 6-2 Safarova

Bless this mess

Registered
Ostapenko RG 2017 had a lot of 3 set matches

R1: 4-6 6-3 6-2 Chirico
R2: 6-3 6-2 Puig
R3: 6-1 6-4 Tsurenko
R4: 2-6 6-2 6-3 Stosur
QF: 4-6 6-2 6-2 Wozniacki
SF: 7-6 3-6 6-3 Bacsinszky
F: 4-6 6-4 6-3 Halep

If I recall correctly, She also made more winners than any men competing, which is impressive if you consider how they play Bo5 and she was top 5 on average forehand speed, ahead of Murray who was then the Nr 1.

Registered
Justine's 2005 French Open run was actually quite difficult鈥攖he lowest ranking player she faced was Ruano Pascual, a very capable clay courter. The rest were Conchita, AMG, Sveta, Maria, Nadia, and Mary. Conchi and AMG took her to three sets, and Sveta almost beat her. Maria is probably the "non-claycourter" here, but even she has two FO titles.

Registered
I would have said Sharapova French Open 2014 but.......Major question marks there now.

Registered
Ostapenko hit 271 unforced errors at the French Open 2017, she was literally hitting the ball as hard as she could on every shot not worrying about percentages and margins for error lol, Murray never does that, he builds up play slowly and goes for the kill, the penko approach can work 1 in every 100 slams so she got lucky that year, especially considering her terrible serve. If you try hitting the ball as hard as you can on every shot in a best of 5 match you are going to burn out after 2 sets, and you can't win in 2 sets/

Serena in Aus 2010 beat 5 slam winners in that draw, Henin, Stosur, Azarenka, Li Na, Kvitova.

Registered
Ostapenko hit 271 unforced errors at the French Open 2017, she was literally hitting the ball as hard as she could on every shot not worrying about percentages and margins for error
True. What you鈥檝e said has basically been her game plan for her whole career thus far.

I like Penko, but I wouldn鈥檛 say her win was among the toughest. She hit lights out, but she also faced a nervous Halep. The only other elites she faced were Woz and a post-prime Stosur.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Ostapenko hit 271 unforced errors at the French Open 2017, she was literally hitting the ball as hard as she could on every shot not worrying about percentages and margins for error lol, Murray never does that, he builds up play slowly and goes for the kill, the penko approach can work 1 in every 100 slams so she got lucky that year, especially considering her terrible serve. If you try hitting the ball as hard as you can on every shot in a best of 5 match you are going to burn out after 2 sets, and you can't win in 2 sets/

Serena in Aus 2010 beat 5 slam winners in that draw, Henin, Stosur, Azarenka, Li Na, Kvitova.
No she didn't she beat ONE Grand Slam Winner in that draw - Henin. None of the others had won a Grand Slam at that time.

Registered
I seem to remember Sharapova's 2014 RG being quite hard.

She came back from a set down in her last 4 matches.

R4: def Stosur 3-6 6-4 6-0

QF: def Muguruza 1-6 7-5 6-1

SF: def Bouchard 4-6 7-5 6-2

F: def Halep 4-6 7-6 6-4

Registered
No she didn't she beat ONE Grand Slam Winner in that draw - Henin. None of the others had won a Grand Slam at that time.
literally doesn't matter because it's about the calibre of the player that was beaten, question is who has had the most difficult slam win of all time, in Jan 2010 all 5 were in their youth and either won a slam (Henin) or not far off from winning their first slam (1-2 years), it's not like she beat 5 has been, past it players in their mid 30's on their last legs.

Registered
literally doesn't matter because it's about the calibre of the player that was beaten, question is who has had the most difficult slam win of all time, in Jan 2010 all 5 were in their youth and either won a slam (Henin) or not far off from winning their first slam (1-2 years), it's not like she beat 5 has been, past it players in their mid 30's on their last legs.
It does matter, you don't know you're capable of winning a Grand Slam until you've won a grand slam so I repeat Serena beat only one Grand Slam winner in that draw - that's a fact.

Registered
good call, though I note four of them wouldn't win slams till the following season.

Li Na's RG win in 2011 was also pretty good, beat Strycova, Soler-Espinosa, Cirstea, Kvitova, Vika, Sharapova and defending champion Schiavone. She dropped a set to Strycova and Kvitova but was near flawless otherwise.

I seem to remember Sharapova's 2014 RG being quite hard.

She came back from a set down in her last 4 matches.

R4: def Stosur 3-6 6-4 6-0

QF: def Muguruza 1-6 7-5 6-1

SF: def Bouchard 4-6 7-5 6-2

F: def Halep 4-6 7-6 6-4
that was a tough draw though you know what they will say about this one...

Registered
Not the hardest ever but Stephens beat 7 players with CHR in the top 11 (Vinci, Cibulkova, Barty, Goerges, Sevastova, Venus, Keys)

Registered
Going back to 1997, I remember Iva Majoli played quite a few 3 set matches en route to the FO final (Grossman, Davenport, Dragomir, Coetzer) before disposing off Hingis in ss in the final.

Registered
Serena USO 99鈥 is a good one as well with four 3 set matches. That was a really brutal draw form R3 onward.
Majority of the women Serena beat at 17 are or will be(Martinez) in the HOF Serena-GOAT馃憦馃憤

Registered
It does matter, you don't know you're capable of winning a Grand Slam until you've won a grand slam so I repeat Serena beat only one Grand Slam winner in that draw - that's a fact.
it's about the calibre of player at the time, in 2010 Kvitova got to the semi finals of Wimbledon beating Azarenka and Wozniacki two top 10 players, Stosur got to the final of the French beating Serena, Jankovic and Henin, Li Na had just beaten Venus and Woz before losing to Serena in US, Azarenka was ranked 7th and Henin was Henin.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts