Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
18,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of all the most successful female tennis players who showed the least fighting spirit?

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Vera against Dinara in the semis in this AO. Basically, Vera gave up and appeared to be overmatched. Probably, why she didn't emotionally break down in the match. Venus' performance against Suarez was lacking, although Suarez had a lot to do with the outcome. Overall, can't say anyone consistently showed a lack of fighting spirit. Everyone has their off days.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Well, the thread title and the question in the OP are different. For example, Venus and Graf are remarkable fighters but rarely showed their emotions on court. Meanwhile, someone like Ivanovic looks far tougher than she is in spite of being a mediocre fighter.

Assuming you mean who was the least prone to fighting for a comeback, I'd go with Davenport. It is quite incongruous to me that she only has three slams, and it's worth noting that all three titles came without dropping a set. She needed to be playing well to win tournaments. As an aside, though, I think Davenport is severely underrated mentally. These are two different things. She wasn't a natural-born fighter, but she had to have incredible mental fortitude to go out and do her thing against players in spite of seeing shot after shot pass her by because of her movement. We criticize Davenport for going into the droopy mode so often, but in reality she stayed much more together on court than 99% of truly slow players throughout tennis. The ability to bounce back from opponents winners (and against elite players, I think Davenport was the most prone to a high opponent winner count) is very, very impressive mentally. But she wasn't a fighter.

·
Keep calm and be gay.
51,207 Posts
Henin in 2008.

·
Banned
11,141 Posts
Well, the thread title and the question in the OP are different. For example, Venus and Graf are remarkable fighters but rarely showed their emotions on court. Meanwhile, someone like Ivanovic looks far tougher than she is in spite of being a mediocre fighter.

Assuming you mean who was the least prone to fighting for a comeback, I'd go with Davenport. It is quite incongruous to me that she only has three slams, and it's worth noting that all three titles came without dropping a set. She needed to be playing well to win tournaments. As an aside, though, I think Davenport is severely underrated mentally. These are two different things. She wasn't a natural-born fighter, but she had to have incredible mental fortitude to go out and do her thing against players in spite of seeing shot after shot pass her by because of her movement. We criticize Davenport for going into the droopy mode so often, but in reality she stayed much more together on court than 99% of truly slow players throughout tennis. The ability to bounce back from opponents winners (and against elite players, I think Davenport was the most prone to a high opponent winner count) is very, very impressive mentally. But she wasn't a fighter.
Lindsay is like Serena in comparison to the mental jokes that currently fill the top 10.

·
Banned
11,141 Posts
mental midget Demented. She really crumbled under the pressure
We're talking about "successful female players" here. :p

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
if by successful you mean a slam winner then shitlana

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
I'm limiting my "call" to Slam Winners.

I'd say Kim and then Lindsay.

By the way "too nice to win" is a negative to Kim's tennis but it is a positive to what is much more important the quality of the person. ;)

I think J Cap had even more fighting spirit than Serena but, sometimes that isn't enough. :shrug:

·
Registered
37,975 Posts
Martina often lacked fighting spirit. :(

·
Registered
8,831 Posts
Henin in 2008.
more like her entire career....when justine was down/ getting slaughtered she always had some "illness" she never tried to fight back.... Just look..

RG 2004, Australian open 2006....
Bartoli at Wimbledon 2007. she just wiltered away didnt even try and "fight"

·
Rena's Army
35,196 Posts
I'm limiting my "call" to Slam Winners.

I'd say Kim and then Lindsay.

By the way "too nice to win" is a negative to Kim's tennis but it is a positive to what is much more important the quality of the person. ;)

I think J Cap had even more fighting spirit than Serena but, sometimes that isn't enough. :shrug:
i don't think so...i think she was tough when she knew she could beat you esp. if the h-2-h was competitive...but she crumbled a lot to me...RG 04, US Open 04 are just two examples off the top of my head

·
Winner
14,940 Posts
Probably of all the great players, I guess Davenport had one of the weaker fighting spirits. But, obviously that's relatively speaking. To say outright she wasn't a fighter is wrong, because to be a champion like she was their had to be some fight in her.

But yes, aside from a few good comebacks (RG 05 vs Kim was particularly satisfying), Lindsay's apparent lack of fight was extremely frustrating for me as a fan. But that was how she did things and I love her for it. I also think it wasn't really in her game to be a fighter. It's not like she was going to start running for everything. :lol: Her game was high risk stuff, she was constantly taking it on. There wasn't much compromise. So if she started missing it was easy for her to get down on herself and she couldn't really stop going for it because that wasn't her game.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts