Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Obviously she's had to abbreviate it because of the shoulder, but personally, I love this new motion, and if it helps out her shoulder, all the better! It reminds me of when Vaidisova changed her serve to make it so much shorter.

It's strange to think of how different this serve is to when she won Wimbledon. It's changed so many times! :lol: We should get some vids together of all her different service motions.

Another thing, I'm just watching through the above vid, and I can't remember seeing a lasso follow through on the forehand anywhere. :confused: Has she stopped herself doing that?

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I personally don't like it, but if she is able to serve well, then I don't care about the aesthetics.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I really like the new service motion. She seems to be able generate a lot of racquet speed (which is pretty hard to do when serving like that). But you do need very strong legs for that and it can become very tiring. The new service motion is definitely better for her shoulder, but like I said it is tiring for the rest of the body. Roddick and Nadal who have a similar service motion are really strong guys, so hopefully Maria won't get too worn out by it. Clay is by far the best surface to serve like that because the placing of the ball when serving is far more important than the speed of the serve. It will be interesting to see whether she keeps the new service motion for the rest of her career.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
she doesnt really need aces right now. shes playing scrubs. lets wait a few more matches to see how her serving changes against different opposition.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
i like it, it is COMPLETELY different!!! its not recycled, or modified, it is a brand new service motion... and it seems to be successful. its a new motion, which changes her mentality giving her new things to think about, not the injury or the shoulder, or anything from the past.. i hope anyway!

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I actually really hate it and I miss her beautiful 2006 motion but if it keeps her shoulder healthy and we get to keep seeing Maria on court and winning then I don't care!

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
A couple of times I have made posts about former baseball pitcher **** Marshall. He is probably not the only person who has figured out---motions matter when it comes to preventing injuries--especially recurring shoulder injuries.

I have long thought Maria's first return after her serve is a key to good results. It is a shot more likely to be devastating and impossible to handle than her serves.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Привет;15678423 said:
Another thing, I'm just watching through the above vid, and I can't remember seeing a lasso follow through on the forehand anywhere. :confused: Has she stopped herself doing that?
Lasso? As in the reverse forehand? She still does it and I think trying to do it less would be better because it does put some strain on the shoulder.

As for the serve, I have no problem with it now. After that first round match I was kind of skeptical because a lot of her seconds were landing right in the middle of the box but that's completely changed during her second round victory.

·
Premium Member
28,059 Posts
I dont love it. Its definatly not a graceful and smooth as her old service motions. My favourite service motion was the one from mid 2006 to mid 2007.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Is it me or is she hitting the ball (groundstrokes) harder? It can just be an illusion because she is playing fodder who hit so softly, or it can be because of the video distorting things.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Is it me or is she hitting the ball (groundstrokes) harder? It can just be an illusion because she is playing fodder who hit so softly, or it can be because of the video distorting things.
i agree. some of her forehands have been struck incredibly hard. she has hit some beautiful winners like she would on a fast carpet or something.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
i agree. some of her forehands have been struck incredibly hard. she has hit some beautiful winners like she would on a fast carpet or something.
Definitely noticed that too!

I dont love it. Its definatly not a graceful and smooth as her old service motions. My favourite service motion was the one from mid 2006 to mid 2007.
With the baaaaaackswing? Yeah miss that.. it was very graceful and with that motion I think you can get into a really good rhythm. I don't see how the back swing affects the shoulder though?

·
Registered
312 Posts
As long as her injury does not get worse as the season progress, I'm happy with whatever style of serving she does. When I'm watching her, I always think Masha don't overcook it because its not worth it sometimes, and of course for the shoulder as well.

·
Registered
16,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lasso? As in the reverse forehand? She still does it and I think trying to do it less would be better because it does put some strain on the shoulder.

As for the serve, I have no problem with it now. After that first round match I was kind of skeptical because a lot of her seconds were landing right in the middle of the box but that's completely changed during her second round victory.
Lasso, reverse, I think they're just different names for the same thing. ;)

·
Registered
10,989 Posts
As long as she stays healthy using it I'm loving it! ;)

·
Registered
10,989 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts