Votes: 16 33.3%
  • They'll both retire together (aah)

Votes: 11 22.9%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this thread is way premature and 100% conjecture, but I'm just curious as to what you think. I would guess that most people think Venus will retire first because she's the one we hear most often about on the news as having other interests. I however think Serena will.

I'll start by saying that I feel both Sisters will have full careers, that is, they'll play at least until their mid-to-late twenties, and their careers will be fulfilling. So it's not that I think Serena will quit early, but that Venus will play longer.

Venus plays so well that she'll eventually get within striking range of some important tennis record and that record will keep her going for a while. Yes, she's doing fashion and other things, but she's also winning slams and other titles at a pretty rapid rate especially given the number of tournaments she's entered. And I would guess that once she starts playing more she'll eventually be in the running for some all time record. And if she gets close enough, I don't think she'll just quit.

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
VENUS will retire first and SERENA will continue to play 2 or 3 more years in order to capture some slams without big sis being in the way.
SERENA may eventually play one or two slam doubles with another partner, probably Alex Stevenson.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I thought about that one, too, Tee-Rex. I guess I didn't vote that way because I felt that for that to happen, Venus would have to retire early (which would kill me). Otherwise, Serena would be too old to have as much of a chance to win as much as she does now.

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
BR - I just can not picture a 30 year old VENUS sweating out on the tennis courts around the world when she can be in one of her air conditioned fashion boutiques in Paris or Milan sipping fruit juice and making dough.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
TeeRexx said:
BR - I just can not picture a 30 year old VENUS sweating out on the tennis courts around the world when she can be in one of her air conditioned fashion boutiques in Paris or Milan sipping fruit juice and making dough.

Now that's something we can both agree on!;)

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
Odd - I was thinking about exactly this yesterday. At first I thought it'd be Venus due to the simple fact that she's older, but I can't visualise Serena sticking around that much if she's gone, or wanting to even play for longer than is absolutely necessary. It seems that Serena needs Venus there in order to play - Venus doesn't need anyone. And I think that as Venus racks up more titles and finishes her fashion course (this school thing is not permanent, remember), she'll commit herself more time-wise to being a champion. I'm sceptical about whether Serena will ever be in the same league as her big sis.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I think Venus might want to finish first to give Serena more chances at Grand Slams, I don't see Venus wanting Serena to win while she's in the running.

But big sis does want lil sis to achieve great results.
Just not at her expense.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Venus has already said this week that playing 15 events in a year is a bit much for her because she will get bored so I do see her retiring first, simply because she will have a large number of Grand Slams and will have been #1 so it will be easier for her to retire feeling she has accomplished a lot. Serena at the moment has only one Grand Slam singles title and a career high of 4 or 5 (?) so I think she will stick around maybe until she equals Venus' accomplishments!

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I think Serena.

If she never has as much success as her sister, she might get discouraged by it and retire.

If Venus continues to dominate the game, she might want to carry on winning and then continue to play for longer.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Frey said:
I think Serena.

If she never has as much success as her sister, she might get discouraged by it and retire.

If Venus continues to dominate the game, she might want to carry on winning and then continue to play for longer.
This is exactly along the lines I was thinking. Even though Venus has other passions in life, I think fundamentally she wants to make an impact. The question is How big of an impact does Venus want to make in tennis?

I think that the best way to do so (if you're good enough) is do something big that no one else has. The most obvious way to accomplish this is to surpass an all-time record. That is what keeps Pete Sampras going, and Navratilova as well. Venus has already invested a considerable amount of time at this job. I think eventually she'll want more to show for it.

·
Registered
47,617 Posts
i_like_tennis said:
hopefully Serena....:)
Why´s that?! Let her make her mark! I think that she wants to at least pass Monica( sorry about that, we all know what could have been.) on the list.

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
Venus said she would like to play well into her thirties, according to Serena. So you never know when they will retire. I don't think Venus will accept any less than about 10-12 slams before she retires By the way I think she can win more that that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts