Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the Open era Chris Evert, Martina Navratilova, Steffi Graf, Serena Williams, Maria Sharapova won it.

·
always getting what i want
17,712 Posts

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Honestly, Barty winning RG has made me think she has a chance.

I never thought she did before, but winning the most difficult slam on her worst surface now makes me think she a) believes she can win slams, and b) will have a much better chance of doing it on the easier surfaces for her.

Osaka has a long way to go on clay and even on grass, but I think she's hungry and driven enough to make it possible.

If Muguruza ever gets her act together again, it wouldn't surprise me if she did it. She's just as good on hardcourts as clay and grass. But yeah, not sure she'll ever get back to slam-winning form.

Angie's chances of winning RG have always been super low considering how much she fucking hates clay, but every year they get less as she ages. This year might've been her best chance, but illness and injury made it impossible. I don't really think Angie will do it.

I could potentially see Halep winning the USO or AO with a good draw, but Wimbledon will be a challenge. You need some variety in your game. Still, anything can happen!

Petra actually probably has the best chance to win big on all the surfaces, but since most of her career has been riddled by inconsistency and now age and injury are creeping in too, I wouldn't bet on it. I'd love it to happen though.

Azarenka could totally win the US Open. I don't know about RG and Wimbledon, though she did play quite well at RG this year. Personally I don't think the form we've seen since her comeback is slam-winning, but that level of fight and determination can't be taken lightly.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
TBT to the start of 2002 when this was quite a hot topic for debate, and pretty much everyone was divided between Venus, Capriati and Hingis. Of course, none of them would ever get the Career Slam and the answer was Serena, whose sole Slam was nearly three years in the past at that point. So, watch the actual answer be Anisimova.

Of our current Slam champions I wouldn't bet on any ever getting it, but the one with the best chance is Osaka. Grass shouldn't be a problem for her and I can see her ultimately becoming dominant on it. She might need another year of learning, but not much more. She's also very underrated on clay, and she's a quick learner there too. I don't think she has as far to go as people think.

Kvitova should honestly have probably won the Career Slam by now with her ability. She seems to be riddled with bad luck at the Slams these days, though, and... it depends how much time she has left.

If Muguruza ever gets her act together again, it wouldn't surprise me if she did it. She's just as good on hardcourts as clay and grass. But yeah, not sure she'll ever get back to slam-winning form.
"Ever"? The woman is only 25. She could fuck around for another four years and still come back to win Slams. She's not exactly running out of time. Also, even in her best years the Slam titles were interspersed with a whole lot of mediocre form.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Mug has already won grass and clay which is the difficult combination. All she has to do is to randomly peak at the other two and she is there.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Honestly, Barty winning RG has made me think she has a chance.

I never thought she did before, but winning the most difficult slam on her worst surface now makes me think she a) believes she can win slams, and b) will have a much better chance of doing it on the easier surfaces for her.

Osaka has a long way to go on clay and even on grass, but I think she's hungry and driven enough to make it possible.

Angie's chances of winning RG have always been super low considering how much she fucking hates clay, but every year they get less as she ages. This year might've been her best chance, but illness and injury made it impossible. I don't really think Angie will do it.

I could potentially see Halep winning the USO or AO with a good draw, but Wimbledon will be a challenge. You need some variety in your game. Still, anything can happen!

Petra actually probably has the best chance to win big on all the surfaces, but since most of her career has been riddled by inconsistency and now age and injury are creeping in too, I wouldn't bet on it. I'd love it to happen though.

Azarenka could totally win the US Open. I don't know about RG and Wimbledon, though she did play quite well at RG this year. Personally I don't think the form we've seen since her comeback is slam-winning, but that level of fight and determination can't be taken lightly.
I'm on mobile so I can't figure out how to "like" a post, so here's a like for you.

I'll say, I think Halep's in with a chance at either hardcourt slam, with her health in working order, but I'd be surprised if she won two hardcourt slams. The field of contenders on hardcourt is so much bigger than on clay or grass.

I'm more bearish on Muguruza than I would have been even a year ago. She's a quitter, and until that changes I don't see her as a threat to win on hardcourt, where the field is bigger.

Barty having won what anyone a month ago would describe as her least likely slam jumps her to the top of my list, frankly. I don't think she'll be a 10+ major champion, but I can see her taking between 4 and 8, and she can win on any surface.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I believe Osaka has a good shot. She's a faster learner. To be honest if she wasn't that nervous at RG, she may have a shot.
Osaka could do it. Angie only has RG missing from her collection so that is also possible. If Mladenovic can hope for it, so can Angie.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
"Ever"? The woman is only 25. She could fuck around for another four years and still come back to win Slams. She's not exactly running out of time. Also, even in her best years the Slam titles were interspersed with a whole lot of mediocre form.
Saying that she is running out of time is being overly dramatic, but fucking around for four more years and then snatching slams at 29 is just as much of a stretch. With the new generations coming, her being so prone to injuries, her dwindling interest in tennis, and her power game having deteriorated to the point that she's become a grinder who can get overpowered by more than three quarters of the tour on any given day, I don't see her being a top player five years from now. Her career will hang in the balance in the next 3 years.

She can win the Career Slam, but she needs to dump Shumyk asap or at least realize that she needs to go back to her roots in terms of playing style.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Saying that she is running out of time is being overly dramatic, but fucking around for four more years and then snatching slams at 29 is just as much of a stretch. With the new generations coming, her being so prone to injuries, her dwindling interest in tennis, and her power game having deteriorated to the point that she's become a grinder who can get overpowered by more than three quarters of the tour on any given day, I don't see her being a top player five years from now. Her career will hang in the balance in the next 3 years.

She can win the Career Slam, but she needs to dump Shumyk asap or at least realize that she needs to go back to her roots in terms of playing style.
You're describing Muguruza in 2019. None of that is necessarily terminal and she has many years to turn it around. Or she may not, who knows! The point is that careers are long these days and she's far from the end, unless she quits early.

People wrote Serena off in 2006 - Muguruza is obviously not Serena, but Serena was basically a non-factor for over a year, which made people say she was done. But she had 13 more years left and counting. Look at Capriati as well.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Agreed. She's erratic, but even compared to other erratic players her game isn't particularly notable. She's not as dynamic a player as Kvitova, for example, and unlike Kvitova, she has a terrible attitude. Kvitova might have days when she's awful, but you never get a sense that she's giving up. Muguruza-the-quitter is something that's emerged the past two years and is a really, really ugly look. Any 'aura' she may have once cultivated is thoroughly gone.

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Either Osaka or somebody who was not born yet

·
Registered
7,243 Posts
I would pick Osaka, considering she's the younger player to have won already 2 different GS and how the elite clay courters have disappeared from the game, so her big game could be rewarded on her worst surface if she learns how to move a little better and have more patience in rallies, but it will be a challenge.

Maybe Kerber still has it in her to win another GS, but it's very hard to picture her winning RG at 32 or more. I am one of those who think Muguruza won't probably ever win another one. Yeah, she's 25, so what, that's not guarantee of anything, as if better players haven't lost the plot while being still quite young. Her game has awfully regressed, technically, tactically, mentally, and her commitment and self-awareness of her real standing in the current game seem to be... problematic. She should be at her absolute peak now, instead she's languishing in the top 30, without any real quality wins and titles in almost 2 years. Unless she goes through some real drastic changes I don't think it will happen again, not without a FH and having to grind and run so much for every win, as it will only get harder to older she gets.

I am convinced Halep could still win more slams, but here's another one who has to change some things too. She's not remotely in such a bad place as Garbiñe, but she cannot keep relying on grinding and outlasting everyone to win a GS when she's 27. She's been close several times, but it really has worked only once. I think she's trying to shorten the points and be more aggressive, but by some aimless and tactically unsound ballbashing from the baseline that she gets quickly frustrated about, not by redirecting, like in 13-14, or trying to close points at the net.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I'm on mobile so I can't figure out how to "like" a post, so here's a like for you.

I'll say, I think Halep's in with a chance at either hardcourt slam, with her health in working order, but I'd be surprised if she won two hardcourt slams. The field of contenders on hardcourt is so much bigger than on clay or grass.

I'm more bearish on Muguruza than I would have been even a year ago. She's a quitter, and until that changes I don't see her as a threat to win on hardcourt, where the field is bigger.

Barty having won what anyone a month ago would describe as her least likely slam jumps her to the top of my list, frankly. I don't think she'll be a 10+ major champion, but I can see her taking between 4 and 8, and she can win on any surface.

OT: Osaka, most likely. But RG and Wimbledon are the hardest to pull off (unless your name is Garbiñe and you can't reach the SF of a HC slam). If it's not Osaka then it's probably going to be a 2000+ girl. Nobody born earlier than Osaka will achieve it, in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts