Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Margaret Court was the first to do so in the early 1970s. I guess if Serena doesn't do it then it'll take genetic engineering to do so when players play more than 100 years on tour in the future because of long life span like Thor and Thanos who have genetic enhancements and long life spans in the thousands of years.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I don't think anyone gives a fuck about winning 24 slams anymore

Couple slams, few million dollars, husband, family, retire

Why kill yourself for a record no one cares about? For a title that is meaningless?

·
Chionophile
40,070 Posts
I don't think anyone gives a fuck about winning 24 slams anymore

Couple slams, few million dollars, husband, family, retire

Why kill yourself for a record no one cares about? For a title that is meaningless?
If no one cared about this record Serena would be retired by now. :tape:

·
You are not likeable,but I like you
4,296 Posts
Alexis Olympia Ohanian

·
Registered
89 Posts
Cori Gauff has already said she wants to be the greatest of all time. If it is her desire, she needs to tie and then pass Serena's 23 slams record in the open era. Now, does the it-girl has what it takes to make her dream come true ? That remains to be seen. Personally, in the WTA right now, i don't see anyone with the ability to match or surpass Serena in the coming years.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
It won't happen again.

That doesn't mean someone else won't be the next GOAT. Given the calibre of player, I'd take fifteen, twelve or even ten slams in a golden era over twenty plus in a mediocre one.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Margeret Court's 24 record is meaningless if you know your tennis history, in Australia for example she played 6 rounds not 7 to win all those slams, and all those matches were against home county level players, the level of tennis then compared to know is about the distance between the Sun and Pluto. Serena has the real record already.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I think it's harder to win the calendar Grand Slam.
Having the greatest amount of Slams is a record many may hold over time, winning the Grand Slam is a much more restricted and elite group of players.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I wonder how popular tennis will be in 10-20 years. It's already becoming marginal amongst the great wider public. I doubt the so called slam record will matter. How many Jo Blows even know who Evert and Graf are?

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Margeret Court's 24 record is meaningless if you know your tennis history, in Australia for example she played 6 rounds not 7 to win all those slams, and all those matches were against home county level players, the level of tennis then compared to know is about the distance between the Sun and Pluto. Serena has the real record already.
Which is why the open and non-open eras should always be separated. They are completely different sports. All the 'living legends' say it including Laver and King - it all really started in 1968.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Which is why the open and non-open eras should always be separated. They are completely different sports. All the 'living legends' say it including Laver and King - it all really started in 1968.
One of the big changes that happened in the mid-1960s was long distance jet travel.
Before jet travel, long distance travel was either by boat or piston engine propeller driven aircraft.
The boats would take weeks to go long distance and the piston engine planes were slow and dangerous.
So, in the early 1960s the only players willing to spend two weeks on a boat going to Australia were the Aussies going home.

·
Registered
34,310 Posts
The threads just get stupider and stupider. Less paint chip ingestion, people, please.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts