Tennis Forum banner

Who should be Marat's coach?

• Denis Golovanov, we need to respect Marat's choice, whatever the reasons are..

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Andrei Chesnokov. He turned Marat into a champion

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Alexander Volkov. He helped Marat win a Slam

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Brad Gilbert, he helped Agassi when he needed it most

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Daren Cahill, the coach of two #1s of this year, and his current player won't be around for much lon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who do you think should be Marat's coach?

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GBFH said:
First option. Let Marat decide, he's an adult.
If it were entirely up to him, he'd have had multiple coaches, all blonde.

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
Marat is uncoachable at this point. If he'd rather chase money than Slams, who (besides himself) is going to change his mind?

Reactions: GBFH

·
Registered
18,948 Posts
Tennis Fool said:
Marat is uncoachable at this point. If he'd rather chase money than Slams, who (besides himself) is going to change his mind?
lmao, gonna have to change my mind now :eek:
good post, TF.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
I would choose A. Chesnokov who was in Argentina with the Russian team.

But I suspect, the problem is with him not being able to coach Safin rather than vice versa.

·
Premium Member
181,836 Posts
I'd go for Marc Rosset if no one from Russia can do the trick
so here's to the Swiss losing in Davis Cup so Marc can be freed ;)

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Denis

As interesting as your poll is ys, I think this is not the right moment for such a poll. Denis has been bashed a lot in these past months and I admit even I wasn't sure about whether this should work, but as far as Marat is still injured it's hard to say. Marat is motivated this season and willing to work hard, but as long as his body isn't healed, it's hard to say who he needs to get back to that #1 position.

·
Registered
16 Posts
According to his recent interviews, Safin expects a lot of an ideal coach.

He wants this person to be either a former top player who personally knows what it takes to be the number one player in the world or a former coach of a great player who also knows this.

He also wants a coach who understands him as a person. This actually is more important to him than the first condition.

He also wants this person to travel with him.

There was something else interesting in the interview. He said that he had played Tennis for enough number of years at high enough level that he knew what worked for him and what didn't. He knew what he had to do on court to win. What he lacked and for which he needed coaching was the mental aspect of the game, handling pressure, strategy etc.

He did not want a coach who came in and changed a basically sound game, just because he was the coach. That would do more harm than good. From Safin's tone, it sounded like he was speaking from a personal bad experience.

If he could not find this perfect person, he said he'd rather not have a coach.

Mats, Chesnokov, Volkov cannot travel with him.

Gilbert, Cahill are culturally too different to understand him.

Denis is his best friend. Also is willing to travel with him. According to Safin, he has also helped his game. So from the above choices, I'd go with Denis.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
well in that case he should hire me...;)

·
Registered
154 Posts
i voted for Denis. he is Marat's best friend and he can deal with Marat's mind. What he always need at most was the concentration and now Denis can work on it. Marat's phisical is very well, of course right now he is injurury and he cant play, but when he get ok again...
The others coaches were all for his phisical, none could help him on his concentration and it's looking like Denis is making a good work, we can see on this last matches Marat played, he is more and more focused and concentrated. and this is very good :) hope he can come back kicking asses!!! :p :bounce:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts