Tennis Forum banner

81 - 100 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Wozniacki actually did face top 20 players on her way to the final, Rybarikova who was ranked 19th at the time. Lol Halep only faced 1 top 20 player, that being Pliskova(who was ranked 6th and she defeated 6-3 6-2), Osaka( she defeated 6-3 6-2) was not even ranked inside of the top 40 during that time. Kerber was ranked 21 at the time. So both faced the same amount of top 20 players before the final. Like what are you even talking about? Where are you getting this Altfacts from ? Lol
THIS IS REALLY HILAROUS, DUDE! Are you mental or what? Take your fucking pills, this is unreal!

Kerber was seed No 21 but she beat Sharapova 6-1 6-3 and Keys 6-1 6-2. She played the best tennis in the competition after Halep. But Halep was injured, played more and met tougher opponents.

Osaka in January 2018 was not top seed but she was already a good player and already at the 2018 US Open she won the first Slam, then in 2019 she won right at Melbourne (her 2nd Slam).

Halep played: Aiava, Bouchard, Davis (good in Australia in those years), Osaka (6-3 6-2), Pliskova (6-3 6-2), Kerber (3 sets) and Wozniacki (3 set loss).

Wozniacki played: Buzarnescu, Fett, Bertens, Rybarikova, Suarez Navarro, Mertens and Halep.

Can't you also tell us some things about Bertens, Mertens and Buzarnescu? I AM TELLING YOU! Bertens was seed No 30, Mertens and Buzarnescu were not even seeded. I can tell you more things: Ostapenko 7th seed, Garcia 8th seed, Konta 9th seed, Coco 10th seed, Mladenovic 11th seed, Goerges 12th seed, Sevastova 14th seed, Pavlyuchenkova 15th seed, Vesnina 16th seed and Rybarikova 19th seed. Only 2nd tier players. Compared to Kerber and Pliskova, and to almost US Open champion Osaka.

Wake up, dude, are you real? Install that laugh button and laugh at you. Are you trolling?

·
Art & Futures
20,579 Posts
Who has had a better career: Halep

Who was a better fighter: Azarenka

Reactions: Oladesuo

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
I think a lot of the reason why people say 'X player is better than Y player' basically comes down to win rate versus top 10 (even if people don't know the exact stats, they can intuitively notice that X player won versus top opposition more often than Y player over the years).

Azarenka 68 wins/49% win rate vs top 10 - Halep 40 wins/45% win rate vs top 10.

IMO Halep was a better player over a longer period of time, hence her career is greater, which is what matters. Azarenka probably produced a higher peak but it was short lived.

Unless my math is bad, you're saying that Azarenka has 50 more Top 10 head-to-head meetings than Halep... that's a surprising asymmetry.

I consider the 2012 USO final to be the most historically defining match of the '010s. Azarenka had 5-3, 30-all and was receiving a 2nd serve, it really felt like she was about to win it. Instead she made a forehand UE, then came out to serve for the title and played 3 horrendous points in a row. Between '010 FO and '015 USO, Williams never lost at a Grand Slam when she was dialed in (she lost a few times when she was coming back from injury or screwing off, i.e. against Clijsters and Stosur and Cornet). But Williams was playing at her top level that night, and Vika was right there keeping pace. If she hadn't blown it, there might well have been a new sheriff in town, the Williams dominance could have ended several years earlier, and this thread would not have been started. Instead, that USO final of 8 years ago stands as Azarenka's high-water mark.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Halep will have the better career. Deep down everyone knows Azarenka pre-baby/custody drama was the better player. One of very few/anyone who could match Serena at her best. Not a big fan/hater of either so no fan bias.

·
Registered
15,844 Posts
Career: Halep
At her peak: Azarenka

Reactions: 'JCau98

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Halep may end up with a better career and more titles, but Azarenka at her peak was more impressive.

Azarenka was clearly mentally tougher until her injury break in 2014.
A) She became No.1 in her first try at a Grand Slam final(!!!)
B) She pushed Serena into 3 sets in most of their H2H between 2012-2015, and beat Serena 4 times in finals.
C) She led Sharapova in H2H until 2015
D) She had to play and beat peak Wozniacki, Radwanska, reigning slam champs Clijsters, Li Na, Stosur, Sharapova, and Serena
E) The only player she failed to beat during 2011-2014 was Kvitova
F) She didn't have a post slam slump. In fact she played wonderful after winning slams (26 consecutive wins in 2012, and winning Doha P5 beating Serena in 2013)

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
D) Azarenka had to play and beat peak Wozniacki, Radwanska, reigning slam champs Clijsters, Li Na, Stosur, Sharapova, and Serena
Peak Wozniacki was the one from 2017-2018. She then reached maturity, but later became ill. By far the best tennis of her career she played then. And Radwanska, even Na Li and Stosur are debatable in value.

It is not as if Radwanska is necessarily better than Svitolina or Sabalenka. And Stosur on a good day was very dangerous, but it's not like she wasn't a player with a lot of limits. For example her backhand. In addition, she was not known as a great defender. Halep has been leading 6-1 against Stosur since the end of 2013, almost since Simona entered the top 10.

Imagine that today Osaka is number 10. Muguruza, Kvitova and Keys are not in the top 10. However, Madison may not always be consistent. But only now in the last months I saw her playing a game, at least on hard, very good. With this game she would have had chances with any of Wozniacki, Stosur and Radwanska. Even Na Li. I witnessed many matches with Na Li when she made many mistakes. I rarely saw Halep not being able to wake up and win against mediocre players, but Na Li on a bad day could not have limited the number of mistakes.

For example, I believe that peak Azarenka did not have bad days, unlike Sharapova, for example. Halep from this point of view, has very few bad days. Sharapova had many bad days in her career, even in years of performance. Somehow, however, Sharapova was always fantastically motivated against a younger Halep, with less confidence. And maybe because of lack of experience and tactics, Halep was not able to win then. Although she lost many matches in 3 sets.

E) The only player Azarenka failed to beat during 2011-2014 was Kvitova
Halep leads 3-1 against Kvitova, and in 2013-2014 she won easily their 2 meetings. Simona beat Petra in the US at the New Haven final, 6-2 6-2, then 6-7 6-3 6-2 at Kvitova's favorite Madrid and eventually also a favorite tournament of Halep. Kvitova won the last encounter at Wuhan, where Halep caught some stomach flu. In Fed Cup, Halep also won (indoor hard).

It's always a bit of nostalgia and we underrate the new players. The argument that stands is the H2H results.

Btw, Stosur also had nothing for peak Azarenka. It means that Stosur also would not have dominated anything today. So you're a little nostalgic. In my opinion, yes, Serena at a high level in the past - I mean in the final rounds - probably had better opposition. But today she can lose more easily in the first rounds, and not just because she has aged. Because we have about 200 good players.

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
Somehow, however, Sharapova was always fantastically motivated against a younger Halep, with less confidence. And maybe because of lack of experience and tactics, Halep was not able to win then. Although she lost many matches in 3 sets.
Sharapova was just not her best in China when she lost. I think she was fighting through fatigue and injury, as she had just beaten Sevastova in a 3.5 hour marathon. Then played Makarova and lost a set to her which is something I don't think ever happened before.

Simona was pretty lucky to escape in Rome. Maria was on court for 12 hours before that match and she still almost lost to Maria again. If I remember, Halep was scared to serve because Sharapova was annihilating it. Then there was a key point that Halep won that changed the momentum at the end. I think Sharapova was serving at 4-5 after Halep held (after breaking Halep to love in her previous service) and she hit an ace but lost the next three points in long rallies.

Reactions: Black Panther

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Peak Wozniacki was the one from 2017-2018. She then reached maturity, but later became ill. By far the best tennis of her career she played then. And Radwanska, even Na Li and Stosur are debatable in value.

It is not as if Radwanska is necessarily better than Svitolina or Sabalenka. And Stosur on a good day was very dangerous, but it's not like she wasn't a player with a lot of limits. For example her backhand. In addition, she was not known as a great defender. Halep has been leading 6-1 against Stosur since the end of 2013, almost since Simona entered the top 10.

Imagine that today Osaka is number 10. Muguruza, Kvitova and Keys are not in the top 10. However, Madison may not always be consistent. But only now in the last months I saw her playing a game, at least on hard, very good. With this game she would have had chances with any of Wozniacki, Stosur and Radwanska. Even Na Li. I witnessed many matches with Na Li when she made many mistakes. I rarely saw Halep not being able to wake up and win against mediocre players, but Na Li on a bad day could not have limited the number of mistakes.

For example, I believe that peak Azarenka did not have bad days, unlike Sharapova, for example. Halep from this point of view, has very few bad days. Sharapova had many bad days in her career, even in years of performance. Somehow, however, Sharapova was always fantastically motivated against a younger Halep, with less confidence. And maybe because of lack of experience and tactics, Halep was not able to win then. Although she lost many matches in 3 sets.

Halep leads 3-1 against Kvitova, and in 2013-2014 she won easily their 2 meetings. Simona beat Petra in the US at the New Haven final, 6-2 6-2, then 6-7 6-3 6-2 at Kvitova's favorite Madrid and eventually also a favorite tournament of Halep. Kvitova won the last encounter at Wuhan, where Halep caught some stomach flu. In Fed Cup, Halep also won (indoor hard).

It's always a bit of nostalgia and we underrate the new players. The argument that stands is the H2H results.

Btw, Stosur also had nothing for peak Azarenka. It means that Stosur also would not have dominated anything today. So you're a little nostalgic. In my opinion, yes, Serena at a high level in the past - I mean in the final rounds - probably had better opposition. But today she can lose more easily in the first rounds, and not just because she has aged. Because we have about 200 good players.
You can have your own opinion, but I didn't underrate "new player". Besides, Halep was hardly a "new player". She has been in top 15 since 2013. I have been watching tennis for almost 20 years, and I have seen enough players to say so. Halep had been battled with her own emotions and mentality for many many years, and just finally overcame it after the 18 RG. While Azarenka had been a fierce competitor in her first career. Sometimes beat some great players or made it a classic battle. Which was the biggest fact for me.

And it was not just about matchups, Halep's game would definitely trouble Kvitova more, and that doesn't mean Halep is a better player.

·
Registered
18,528 Posts
We easily forget that Azarenka's peak was quite short-lived but very, very effective. A huge bulk of her titles were won during a two-year span between 2011 and 2013. And of course there was the burst of success in 2016. But in 2011-2013, she was so dominant on hard courts and competitive everywhere else that she managed to build up this exciting air about her stature that I don't think we've seen since. Now, I can't stand her, but it's impossible to deny that when she was at her best, she was lighting the tour up in very convincing fashion. I don't think that was ever the case for Simona.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I think Vika making the USO Final puts her slightly about Simona as of now. Let's hope she can continue the good form in 2021!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Vika at her height was far more of a real number 1 and threat than Simona has ever been and we with recent 5th GS Final, I think Vika edges in front.

-Vika has more big titles ( 10-7); Olympic Silver
-Simona has more weeks at number 1 and has played 3/4 GS Finals

Both have won 2 GS, made 5 GS Finals and have 1 WTF Finals.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Vika at her height was far more of a real number 1 and threat than Simona has ever been and we with recent 5th GS Final, I think Vika edges in front.

-Vika has more big titles ( 10-7); Olympic Silver
-Simona has more weeks at number 1 and has played 3/4 GS Finals

Both have won 2 GS, made 5 GS Finals and have 1 WTF Finals.
10-8* (12-10 with slams)

·
Registered
114,399 Posts
I think Halep has a better career overall. More weeks at #1 more other stuff. Azarenka had a child then was in a lot of legal situations, couldnt travel for a while. Not the same player since
At their best, Vika was better. Overall, Halep better career
The way Halep came back after 3 close slam final losses and came from behind in her 4th, then destroyed Serena to win a 2nd, is a great story. Someone who handled adversity better than most players. Wozniacki also didnt win until her 3rd slam final, handled the adversity of slamless #1, but wasnt in 3 close losses like Halep
That was very impressive and a great role model to show other players how you never give up

Reactions: Gabriel_Hrnandz

·
Banned
487 Posts
This is not really a close comparison. Azarenka's only 2 GS titles are at the least prestigious slam, while Simona has won both Wimbledon & RG... Azarenka lost all of her late-round GS encounters against Serena Williams, while Simona thrashed Williams in a Wimby final. Vika has the IW-Key Biscayne double in '016 in her favor but it doesn't outweigh the slams...
Yeah.Because beating a healthy peak Serena in 2012 is the same as beating a 40-year-old Serena with one lung.

·
Banned
487 Posts
Azarenka accumulated around 10,000-12,000 ranking points around her peak while Halep was number one due to a power vaccuum and was only number with like 6500 points in 2017-18.Besides Simona Halep never had a champions aura around her and you could feel anyone could beat her on anyday.

81 - 100 of 128 Posts