Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So far, both of them have 20 titles from 37 finals, including 2 GS titles, however, both Simona and Victoria also have their own pros, so I want to know which career do you think is the better one.

Simona Halep pros :
More weeks at no 1 ( 64 vs 51 )
GS titles on 2 different surfaces ( clay and grass )
GS finals on all surfaces
More GS finals ( 5 vs 4 )
Leads in H2H ( 3-2 )

Victoria Azarenka pros :
Olympic medal ( London 2012 )
More Premier Mandatory and Premier 5 titles ( 9 vs 7 )
Sunshine Double ( 2016 )

Azarenka seems to be the better hard-court player, but Simona has better all-around results.

·
Registered
31,335 Posts

Simona has the better career due to her longevity but I will always believe Azarenka achieved things in 2012-2013 that Halep would never have been able to do during that era.

Simona's "all times great performance" in the 2019 Wimbledon final may have her won her two or three games in the 2012 Olympic final. Azarenka never made it past the SFs in London but she faced Serena two times (2012 Wimbledon and the 2012 Olympics) and Kvitova in 2011. Halep only had to beat Svitolina to reach the final, come on.

·
Registered
389 Posts
They have different games for sure. At this point, Halep has more upside, I feel like she is still peaking or has another peak left in her. Vika had her personal issues that made it harder to get back to her level, which may be partially due to the surge in new talent that happened during her time away.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Hard to say. Azarenka was challenging peak Serena and Maria.

Halep kind of had her rise, perhaps due to the fall of the other three (Serena, Vika and Maria). When Vika was at her peak, Halep was a pigeon to everyone.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Records and achievements do not exist in a vacuum. Opponents, competition, dominance etc. are all at play when evaluating careers.

Reactions: Sammie18

·
Registered
467 Posts
The only time I will say Halep wins in someone...Azarenka hasn't been relevant for years...

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Correction Halep has NEVER reached a GS final on US Hard court, which is different to AO Hard Court and only made it to a SF once.

Now my vote is Azarenka, tougher competition during her peak and achievements. Azarenka would have a Wimbledon and US Open title, yet Serena stopped her.

Meanwhile Halep was stopped by Wozniacki, the US Open wont even be mentioned.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Correction Halep has NEVER reached a GS final on US Hard court, which is different to AO Hard Court and only made it to a SF once.

Now my vote is Azarenka, tougher competition during her peak and achievements. Azarenka would have a Wimbledon and US Open title, yet Serena stopped her.

Meanwhile Halep was stopped by Wozniacki, the US Open wont even be mentioned.
Halep doesn't have a GS finale on US hard court, but Azarenka doesn't have a GS finale on neither clay or grass. Not to mention, despite USO being considered Simona's weakest Slam, she still has a win over Vika there.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Obviously Halep will end up with a better career, but can anyone really say in all honesty that she was a better tennis player than Azarenka?

A word that sums Vika’s career up for me is unfortunate. She was unfortunate to peak when Serena did. Unfortunate to suffer the injuries she suffered. Unfortunate (from a tennis perspective!) to fall pregnant when she had just won the sunshine double. And unfortunate to have all the personal problems she‘s had since Leo’s birth.

A word that sums Halep up for me is opportunistic. She has taken advantage of the opportunities that have come her way in this weaker post-SerenaSlam2 era and all credit to her for that, she has had a great career. Would she have had the same career 5 years earlier? No. Does it matter? Not really.

·
Registered
31,335 Posts
A word that sums Halep up for me is opportunistic. She has taken advantage of the opportunities that have come her way in this weaker post-SerenaSlam2 era and all credit to her for that, she has had a great career. Would she have had the same career 5 years earlier? No. Does it matter? Not really.
She did but she could (and should) have achieve so much more. She "only" won two Slams and two Premiers since Serena took time off to have her daughter.

Even Wozniacki racked up more Premier titles in 2010-2011.

·
Registered
31,152 Posts
Wow I'm amazed by how similar their stats are
Obviously Halep will end up with a better career, but can anyone really say in all honesty that she was a better tennis player than Azarenka?

A word that sums Vika’s career up for me is unfortunate. She was unfortunate to peak when Serena did. Unfortunate to suffer the injuries she suffered. Unfortunate (from a tennis perspective!) to fall pregnant when she had just won the sunshine double. And unfortunate to have all the personal problems she‘s had since Leo’s birth.

I agree with most of your post, but not so sure about the bolded part. Halep has taken opportunities in that she has worked her ass off and been more consistent than anyone else since 2013 (a fairly low bar but still she leads here far and away). On the other hand, she led by a break in the final set of all three slam finals that she lost if I'm not mistaken. She also has had a very high number of unexplainable flops and early defeats compared to many others. For example, most people act like she has always sucked on grass and been useless at Wimbledon, yet she had previously been in a semifinal where she managed to sprain her ankle and lose to freaking Bouchard, and another quarterfinal where she inexplicably choked to Konta. Talk about wasted opportunities.

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
Vika was not lucky to be at her peak during Serana's peak years. Serena dimmed the career of so many players, just like Evert and Navratilova when they won like 30 Slams in 11 years. Remember Sue Barker. When she won her first and only Slam, she thought she would win many more, but that was not to be.

·
Registered
113,556 Posts
A better career? I'd say Halep, all the weeks at #1 and can win any title on any surface
The better player is a different question. But a lot of players who dealt with a young Serena had majors taken away

1 - 20 of 87 Posts