Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
35,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doesn't seem like a necessary thing to play better tennis, to be honest. Seems like men influenced this tradition a long time ago and this is just how it goes now.

Why not shorts instead? Perhaps "too masculine" for women's tennis making it harder to sexualize the women playing tennis? Hmmmm :unsure:

·
Registered
37,850 Posts
The reason the WTA is so successful compared to other women's sports is because they've been able to both attract viewers who traditionally watch male sports and because they promote their stars in a way which allows them to be mainstream public figures. How many main stream celebrities wear knee length shorts? Playing in shorter clothing is more comfortable and more attractive, so if the girls don't have issues with the clothing there's no reason for them to change it. If Osaka wore Demi Schuur's outfits would she make $50+ Million a year?

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
Doesn't seem like a necessary thing to play better tennis, to be honest. Seems like men influenced this tradition a long time ago and this is just how it goes now.

Why not shorts instead? Perhaps "too masculine" for women's tennis making it harder to sexualize the women playing tennis? Hmmmm :unsure:

If they want, they can wear shorts, long skirts, tights, body suits or whatever rocks their boats. There is no tape measurement for the knee length. We are free at last.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I'm often curious how the women feel about the outfits they're given by their sponsor.
They must really hate some of the designs they have to wear.

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
The reason the WTA is so successful compared to other women's sports is because they've been able to both attract viewers who traditionally watch male sports and because they promote their stars in a way which allows them to be mainstream public figures. How many main stream celebrities wear knee length shorts? Playing in shorter clothing is more comfortable and more attractive, so if the girls don't have issues with the clothing there's no reason for them to change it. If Osaka wore Demi Schuur's outfits would she make $50+ Million a year?
Maybe that's why beach volleyball is such a popular sport that moves billions

·
EXPRESS YOURSELF
8,088 Posts
Wasn’t there a controversy with a player from North Africa wearing tights under her skirt? And she was asked by the umpire to take them off?

Really what they wear is usually up to the companies like Nike, Adidas, Lotto etc. who design and make the clothes, I doubt any actual tennis body has much say in the length of player’s skirts

Reactions: M.A.S.L.

·
Registered
12,961 Posts
It’s an interesting question. i just saw kalinskeya wear shorts in the last tournament and i think it would be much more comfortable. wonder if the sponsors put pressure on women to wear skirts (I’m sure they have to be tactful about it) given the times we live in. I understand the sentiment that women should wear what they want and i ride with it. it does give a license to creeps to post almost voyeur like videos and put them on youtube.

does anyone recall a player that more or less always wore shorts instead of skirts through their career? Martina? Drawing blanks besides her.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
These girls can wear what they want, no one forces them to wear short skirts or dresses. Players like Amanmuradova and Schuurs always wear polos and shorts; I’ve seen many players play in short shorts; girls like Rogers and Davis play in leggings occasionally; and Serena and Venus always have funky outfits. Only time I can think a player was “forced“ was probably Serena’s catsuit fiasco at RG a few years ago.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
It’s an interesting question. i just saw kalinskeya wear shorts in the last tournament and i think it would be much more comfortable. wonder if the sponsors put pressure on women to wear skirts (I’m sure they have to be tactful about it) given the times we live in. I understand the sentiment that women should wear what they want and i ride with it. it does give a license to creeps to post almost voyeur like videos and put them on youtube.

does anyone recall a player that more or less always wore shorts instead of skirts through their career? Martina? Drawing blanks besides her.
Fiona Ferro is always in shorts.

·
Registered
7,074 Posts
Well there is that famous photograph.......
Never seen it before. Who's the cutie to the left of Tinling?

Blame the French (who invented the mini skirt), blame the sixties, and finally one gay dude.

His name is Ted Tinling, the unofficial 'couturier' of the women's tour from long before the tour even started (he's been making tennis dresses since the 50s)

View attachment 188319

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I like the short skirts. I think the women like wearing them too otherwise they would protest, no?

@morgendorffer i Don't know about others but Maria designed (and still does) her own dresses and they were the shortest.

I cannot imagine Sharapova, Bouchard, Kournikova, Giorgi or even Serena with a long skirt. 😁

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
These girls can wear what they want, no one forces them to wear short skirts or dresses. Players like Amanmuradova and Schuurs always wear polos and shorts; I’ve seen many players play in short shorts; girls like Rogers and Davis play in leggings occasionally; and Serena and Venus always have funky outfits. Only time I can think a player was “forced“ was probably Serena’s catsuit fiasco at RG a few years ago.
They have more freedom than the male players who now seem to have basic length shorts, not the micro-shorts of the 70s or the longer trousers of the pre WW2 era. And certainly not skirts or kilts.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts