Tennis Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
I also think of the current girls Mertens can extend a point for a ridiculously long time. That FH squash shot is arguably the best defensive shot in the game right now.
@ around 7:55

Another player with a good squash shot: The other -ertens. I must say, for being a tall girl, Bertens has excellent movement and defensive skills as well. She totally neutralised Rybakina in the St Petersburg final.
Probably no Wozniacki or Halep, but just a shout out to her.

Barty also has improved her movement/defence a lot as of late. I remember she out-Svitolina'd Svitolina at one point in the WTA finals.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts

This shows some excellent defensive points from 2017. Wozniacki features in a lot of these points. I also have to say Rybarikova is ridiculously fast. I do think the fastest player we've seen has got to be Sloane though.

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Woz vs Venus, the point starting @2:43:

Also the point from 4:14 where both players are getting a lot back.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Tracy Austin should be mentioned as well, she was famous for her moonball retrievals to get her back into the court and for a period of time between 1979-81, she could out-Evert, Evert.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Who's the best wall under 25? I didn't think of Bencic as a wall but she was mentioned here 🤔
Bencic and Mertens both got a couple mentions, and neither of them is especially fast but both are very, very good defensively on the stretch, and both have very good anticipation.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Part of Evert's gift was being such a tremendous defensive player in an era when far more players came to the net. Consider how often she won exchanges against Navratilova and Goolagong and King and Court, some of the greatest volleyers of all time, by playing a baseline game. She anticipated so well that she could still extend a point when facing a cut-off angle, and the way she hit the ball defensively was designed to make you uncomfortable, so you never got the same look at ball twice.

Of course, that also means the points tended to be shorter, so we don't see her engaging in the marathon athletic retrieving session of Wozniacki or Halep or even ASV.

·
Art & Futures
20,407 Posts
I could be wrong, but while Wozniacki was near the top, she kept the point going on so long moreso because of her ball control and stamina (keeping the point deep) rather than her retrieval ability.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #77

Who can forget this?

61 - 78 of 78 Posts