Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now, before this becomes a mess, this thread is NOT to bash any players, as they don't have any fault in the situation becoming this farce. Also, this is more than just "he would have been higher or lower", it's about the great scheme of things, the impact this had.

Now, I personally think that, who benefited more:

Andreescu: obvious, she would be having to use protected rankings if it weren't for it
Vondrousova: Could keep a good ranking despite not having the best moment
Gauff: could maintain some points from good results from 2019
Svitolina: could be out of top 10 if I remember well

Who suffered

Iga: Her RG points will be the ones that were useful for seeding/entry for the smallest time of tournaments that I remember
Kenin: She could have pretensions of reaching Nr 1
Barty: she got a lot of flack for being a Nr 1 without playing, and it honestly, didn't help her for all that much
Osaka: Same as Kenin
Kostyuk: could be way higher, which would help her a lot to get direct entry into tournaments
Juvan: Same as Marta

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
I agree on everything except Barty. Without this frozen rankings she'd be down to world no 16 or 17.

Kenin works both ways too. She was robbed of YE#1 but keeps her AO 2020 for another year.
Kenin was robbed of nothing . You can’t decide who the no 1 is after playing 12 tournaments total a year .

·
Registered
114,739 Posts
Kenin probably would have been #1 if they counted the tournaments of 2020 as a year of tennis. Its very important to get there because there are a whole bunch, like Kvitova, Myskina, Kuznetsova, who just missed and then never got there
Barty was helped by extra weeks at #1, but in the long run it might hurt her because it takes mental toughness to handle being #1 and she might not be the strongest mentally. We will see
i'm not sure where we are now if Osaka is holding 2 majors and not #1 and Barty is #1 with her last 12 months

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I hardly matters for the top players if they are ranked 10 spots higher or lower.

The real losers are ranked from 100 down.

Poor Clara Burel could have been inside the top100, but is still stuck out of top200. And the worst part is that 2/3 of her points are from RG & Strasbourg, which means those points will be on her account for just 8 months.

·
Registered
114,739 Posts
I think Osaka's 2 slams will matter. Depending on how her career continues this might be looked at as an important change from a wide open post Serena era to the Osaka era
It seems like the tour has a shape now. Its not like: anyone can win type of tour.
There is a true #1, but she isnt ranked #1
Lets see how the year develops and next year. If Osaka has 6 or 7 by end of 2022, the tour had a major shift during the pandemic

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
Barty benefits from it. What are you talking about? Osaka should be N1

I agree with rest. Pliskova benefits from this too.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Bianca Andreescu would not even be ranked if not for the it wasn't for frozen rankings. However, I do believe that the frozen rankings played a role in why she decided to stay home for so long... I don't actually think Barty cares about her rankings to be honest...

·
Registered
4,881 Posts
Kenin was robbed of nothing . You can’t decide who the no 1 is after playing 12 tournaments total a year .
If this was Halep you would be beating us with how Halep was robbed.

·
Banned
279 Posts
I hardly matters for the top players if they are ranked 10 spots higher or lower.

The real losers are ranked from 100 down.

Poor Clara Burel could have been inside the top100, but is still stuck out of top200. And the worst part is that 2/3 of her points are from RG & Strasbourg, which means those points will be on her account for just 8 months.
Oh yeah, poor Clara Burel who gets handed WCs for all her tournaments (RG, Strasbourg) not getting to get her super lucky, privileged, inflated ranking.

·
Registered
120 Posts
At the top of the game, Naomi should obviously be number 1, not Ash, but they can still both play when and where they please. The frozen rankings really hurt the younger up and coming players like Clara Tauson who are stuck playing in meaningless ITF events.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
If this was Halep you would be beating us with how Halep was robbed.
Maybe I would complain about it a bit , but at the end of the day I always knew it was the right choice . I even defended Barty keeping the no 1 when it came to this.

·
Banned
517 Posts
Bianca Andreescu would not even be ranked if not for the it wasn't for frozen rankings. However, I do believe that the frozen rankings played a role in why she decided to stay home for so long... I don't actually think Barty cares about her rankings to be honest...
They care about that year end ranking only Serena and Sonewhat Osaka don’t care much .... the money is tremendous from sponsors for that accomplishment .... starting with WTA bonus ..., Nike give like 3M or more ... do it matters financially

·
Registered
975 Posts
They care about that year end ranking only Serena and Sonewhat Osaka don’t care much .... the money is tremendous from sponsors for that accomplishment .... starting with WTA bonus ..., Nike give like 3M or more ... do it matters financially
Barty cares about doing well in tournaments, not what her ranking is and how much money she is making...

Reactions: ishgever

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
At the top of the game, Naomi should obviously be number 1, not Ash, but they can still both play when and where they please. The frozen rankings really hurt the younger up and coming players like Clara Tauson who are stuck playing in meaningless ITF events.
That's a very good example indeed. I agree with you on that. But I think being Nr 1 is still a big deal. Petra, Radwanska, lost their opportunities and could never get, even though they had very successful careers, it can be a bit frustrating depending.

·
Registered
6,681 Posts
Other players whose rankings are pretty much 'subsidised' by 2019: Pliskova, Kerber, Bencic, Konta, Riske

Other victims of the system: Schmiedlova would be top 100 by now; Dodin would have entered the top 100 by the end of last year so would have been in the main draw of the AO; her loss in AOQ has started a huge drop in form and now it looks like she is not going to make the top 100 any time soon. Katie Boulter is another terrible loser, because she was out with injury in 2019, so she is now stuck with the terrible ranking outside the top 300 for ages - once she uses up all her PRs, it will take her ages to get back to the top 100 from the ranking she has now.

·
Banned
279 Posts
Who, unlike Burel, Gauff et. al. has gotten a grand total of 2 qualifying WCs for WTA events since she won the Junior AO two years ago. That's it.

Her own ranking (now up in the 60s with the normal ranking system) has been gotten by beating Jennifer Brady at RG and scores of ITF'ers in zero paying (almost) events.

She's finally finally able to get into MM qualifying draws, so while it will definitely take her some time to adjust to that level, I think the worst is behind her.

I can't help but wonder about similar players a year or two younger who do not come from big tennis countries. I bet we're losing a ton of talent these years.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts