Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the match against Maria in Miami made an effort in her match today.
so close, definitely heartbreaking for Venus and her fans.
I thought she would lose but never thought this kind of scoreline.

6-3 3-6 7-6 >> 2-6 3-6 > 6-2 2-6 5-7 = 6-3 3-6 6-7

when will Venus admit that she isnt confident enough to win these tight match?
why she always try to stay positive like "i had a great week" blabla
I hope Venus could take some rest. she needs to think more about herself.
I hope Serena and Richard can give her some advices too..

I want "the fucking Venus Williams" back.
no related with graceful but win more. just a little hope by a fan.

·
Banned
35,898 Posts
herself.

She had plenty of opportunities to win this match.

It down to missing such big parts of the seasons, little match practise and self confidence on the big points.

·
Registered
10,513 Posts
jelena had a lot of BP, too so she could have converted more of them, too.

·
Gone with the Wind fabulous!
8,399 Posts
I love how the only players who are capable of getting "beaten" are those players who use strategy, timing, placement, and court sense. If you're shots are high-risk and powerful, no one can ever beat you. You can only beat yourself. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
29,542 Posts
Venus beat herself...the thing is...if serena hadn't done what she had done...everyone would be saying that venus did well this week..we have to remember that venus was out for longer and the williams are two different players..she'll find her form by RG...

And of course she beat herself whenever venus and serena lose its coz they beat themselves. Its not like they're gonna play their best and lose or play well and lose...they are two of tennis' greats...most matches they lose are because of UEs, lack of match fitness or just not playing well...Venus played badly today..the good news is..there were glimpses of the old vee..if she can start playing well and keep that form for the rest of the season....expect vee to be in the top 3 come season's end

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I think the match against Maria in Miami made an effort in her match today.
so close, definitely heartbreaking for Venus and her fans.
I thought she would lose but never thought this kind of scoreline.

6-3 3-6 7-6 >> 2-6 3-6 > 6-2 2-6 5-7 = 6-3 3-6 6-7

when will Venus admit that she isnt confident enough to win these tight match?why she always try to stay positive like "i had a great week" blabla
I hope Venus could take some rest. she needs to think more about herself.
I hope Serena and Richard can give her some advices too..

I want "the fucking Venus Williams" back.
no related with graceful but win more. just a little hope by a fan.
Why in the world would she say that?! What a stupid thing to say.

Like the commentators and a lot of people say, most if not all of Venus' matches are on her racquet. As you've seen today, and in many matches, when she's on and keeps her UEs down, she dominates. When she's spraying balls all over the place (and that serve, boy does she need to work on that), she loses most of the time.

It's common sense really.

·
Registered
10,890 Posts
Serena beat Venus! Well...if it wasn't Serena...maybe it was global warming...no...maybe it was the Florida electoral process...I dunno who beat Venus :confused:

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
The match was Venus to win I mean 13 double faults that's THREE COMPLETE GAMES she lost. Venus did it to herself she has no one to blame but herself for another tough loss.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
This was a high quality match from both players, excepting the 13 DFs from Venus. Jelena got a match point and hit a big shot on the line. Both could have played better but the better player won today.

·
Registered
917 Posts
But if Venus had won today, we would say that it is Jelena who defeated herself because of so many break points that she didn't use.
Please, Jelena beat VenuS

·
Registered
10,513 Posts
But if Venus had won today, we would say that it is Jelena who defeated herself because of so many break points that she didn't use.
Please, Jelena beat VenuS
...yap, i was quite disappointed in her breakpoint conversion today.

·
Registered
10,513 Posts
what many of you didn't realize today that jelena did put pressure on venus when it came to the serve. she returned well most of the time. there were practically no "free points" for vee on serve.

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
It all depends.

If you look at her DFs, then she CLEARLY beat herself. However, if you look at the UEs, you'd have to say Janko had a lot to do with Venus missing. So, it's all a matter of how you look at it.

Imho, the DFs were her undoing today. It's hard to argue that the DFs didn't hurt Vee and didn't help Janko'. IF Vee can get her second serve more consistant, not only will she beat Janko, but will take down even bigger prey!

It's a matter of how courageous she's willing to be. Generally speaking, when her serve goes, the erosion of extends down to her forehand as well, simply because the stakes of her performance off the ground become that much greater thus putting more pressure on her weakest wing- the forehand.

So I guess I'm saying, as many here have said, the key for Venus is the 2ND SERVE! If she can get that together, we WILL see some great things!

·
Registered
13,897 Posts
I don't get this "beating yourself" business. If you blow break chances and set points and what not, that just means your opponent played better than you did on those points. It means your opponent's strategy and mentality were better.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I love how the only players who are capable of getting "beaten" are those players who use strategy, timing, placement, and court sense. If you're shots are high-risk and powerful, no one can ever beat you. You can only beat yourself. :rolleyes:
Well you just said it yourself. If you play high risk tennis, then there are greater chances of "beating yourself" by hitting more UEs, than another player who plays safer, more strategic tennis.

Like I said, it's common sense.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts