Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a Vika fan and watching her matches against Vekic, I must say she's one of them. Donna doesn't even have that flashy of a game, doesn't hit super big but can move the ball around and totally exposes Vika's biggest weakness.

Who are the slowest players on tour in your opinion and how they (if they do) overcome this hole in their game?

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
This is interesting.

There's a difference between speed/pace, and movement, and also footwork. I think someone like Pliskova is very slow, but her footwork and anticipation and can help disguise that.

Looking at the rankings, Pliskova and Konta strike me as players who are pretty slow. Mertens as well tbh, but she anticipates and moves well so that's disguised somewhat.

·
Premium Member
36,988 Posts
It's hard to say. Some players could look to be slow without being that slow. Some have busy footwork, others lazy footwork, but that doesn't indicate much about their natural speed.

The tall players for instance often look slow but can move pretty fast for making greater strides. I'm not sure Pliskova or Kvitova are slow. I don't think they are. Maybe Mladenovic, but I'm not sure either. The small players are often quick, or look pretty quick. Davis looks very quick.

·
Registered
18,969 Posts
Vika indeed could sometimes have footwork issues, but she was a very good counter of the ball and hit her spots fairly well to compensate, plus her return was top notch so she always could put pressure back on the opponent more than not. Nowadays I'm not surprised she can lack a bit of speed to recover.

Venus, can have her slow days, understandably.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Can we include 'slow play' in this thread? Some of them act like golfers with way too much pre-serve prep. I like players who just step up and serve quickly, like Kenin. Does toying with the ball a lot with the racquet and then bouncing it in her hand a lot actually help slowpoke Serena? Just step up and serve it - like Kyrios when he's rushing through :)

·
Registered
31,618 Posts
Unless you are dealing with washed-up snails like Vika and Maria, it´s hard to tell.

·
Registered
112,701 Posts
When Sharapova beat Davenport at Wimbledon 2004, she was much faster. She slowed down a lot. Pliskova, Anisimova, Sharapova, Vikhlyantseva

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Funny that no player physically heavy, as Jabeur, Townsend, Kanepi, Dolehide and the likes (even serena) appear in this list.

·
Registered
50,682 Posts
For sure the Pliskova sisters :tape: :help::help::help:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts