Tennis Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I take it that players that have their 1st full year this year are considered rookies this year?<br />So can people confirm on which players had their first full year this year?<br />Daniela Hantuchova<br />Iroda Tulyaganova<br />Daja Bedanova<br />Lina Krasnoroutskaya<br />Nadia Petrova<br />Elena Bovina<br />Martina Sucha<br />Maja Matevzic<br />am I missing some other players?

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
I think "Rookies" are players who made their WTA Tour debuts this year. Bedanova played some 16 events last year and was ranked 53. Tulyaganova played 21 and ranked 75. (NOTE: I doubt all those events were WTA Tour events.)

How do you define "First full year?" Do you mean they've been on the Tour for a full year or that they were eligible to play a full year's worth of events?

[ November 04, 2001: Message edited by: cynicole ]</p>

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Meaning January to November.

·
Premium Member
181,840 Posts
to win Newcomer of the Year award you have to start the year outside top 100.

IMO so this is just down to either Lina or Daniela.

I would give it to Lina as she played under AER rules and had the better SLAM results

·
Moderator - Juniors
13,446 Posts
yes, Krasnoroutskaya and Hantuchova are probably the only two with a realistic shot at this one.

Comparing their year, both have near equal stats, records are nearly the same, amount of wins over the bigger names...However, although I think Hantuchova is better personally, I think the award will probably go to Lina, because she does have a slightly better ranking, also impressive considering the age restriction, and also as mentioned, reaching the quarters of roland garros and 4th round of wimbledon was a good effort by her.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts