1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Hagi.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Nadia lives in the US and was rather absent from the Romanian media lately. Hard to estimate the number of Romanians that heard of Nadia vs Halep. A fair comparison could be made some five years after Halep retires, imo. Anyways, Nadiamania in the mid 70's was clearly bigger and was one of the main factors for Romania's dominance in the gymnastics for three decades.

·
Rise up from ignorance
18,235 Posts
Halep is the prisoner of the moment, it has to be Comaneci on the long run :shrug:

·
Art & Futures
21,153 Posts
cirstea

amanar

Reactions: Mug Fan

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Comaneci is obviously in a different category that transcends sport. i have zero interest in gymnastics and was born after her Olympic success and i still know who she is/what she achieved. Dominating an Olympic sport has much more significant worldwide impact.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
It's hard to make a comparison.
Nadia is obviously better known around the world because she created history for an entire sport.
Simona obviously created history for Romanian tennis, and is the talk of the town, while Nadia is revered, and her name passed down to younger generations.
To note that Nadia managed to keep her name relevant trough her activities in Romania, and befriending and following Simona around.
I guess that right now the 35-40 age bracket and up that love all sports have a hard time balancing the two.
My guess that the younger ones favor Simona at the moment, but like it was said, only after she retires will we know how they stand.

As for the greatest celebrity for Romanians, I think that Hagi still outclasses them, even though he is not as well known outside Europe as the other two.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Simona has the "Present". But I don't know what Father Time will lay ahead of her.
Nadia was something else. Because of her, the Canadian Olympics will remain unforgettable.
Because of her, ten thousand of girls in Iraq (and in other parts of the world) were called Nadia!
So time will tell...

·
Registered
11,253 Posts
Simona has the "Present". But I don't know what Father Time will lay ahead of her.
Nadia was something else. Because of her, the Canadian Olympics will remain unforgettable.
Because of her, ten thousand of girls in Iraq (and in other parts of the world) were called Nadia!
So time will tell...
I would like to know how many baby girls will be named after Simona...

·
Registered
10,696 Posts
Oh please... Nadia is a GOAT. One of the best there ever was. Revolutionized the sport. Made history, not just in Romania, but the world.
Comaneci is a sort of Romania's Navratilova. One of the best female athletes the country has ever produced but she's based and lives abroad.

So I guess Simona is the bigger celebrity now in her country.

BTW, a funny pic here of Nadia with the Czech gymnastics legend Vera Caslavska, one of Nadia's heroes. Vera already looks a bit like a granny (sorry, Vera), while Nadia looks young, slim and hot.

Nevertheless, that's still 12 Olympic golds in a single pic :worship:

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
This thread should have a Poll!
Poll->Numbers->Conclusion

Or maybe the thread starter prefers Discussion->Bait->Trolls&Haters?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I find it shameful not even the Romanians even though of mentioning Neagu. She was three times best player in the world. That is as GOAT as you can get in a sport. If she would have been born in Norway she would be puking gold medals. And both Neagu and Halep are not done GOATing...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts