Tennis Forum banner

241 - 260 of 268 Posts

·
Registered
8,381 Posts
It was a great fight from Whitney, and it was her first actual red clay match this year, maybe she just needed to get used to the surroundings and get her feet set a bit. Hopefully this win propels her forward. Like her in this Nike kit :)

·
Registered
8,381 Posts
Well Whitney lost in QR2 to fellow American, Allie Kiick.
Whitney delivered a bagel set to start off the match, but then lost the next two 3-6, 1-6.
Such a shame she was so close to getting a MDWC. But with so many clay matches, I thought she would have a great shot of qualifying....

·
Registered
191 Posts
Watched a lot of it. She was amazing in the first set. Dictating every point with aggression, getting everything back. And then she went over and just couldn't get it back. Still finding that high level consistency - but if she can play the type of tennis she played in the first set on a regular basis - she is going to fly up the rankings. Will be a good learning experience for her!

·
Registered
14,705 Posts
She's under the radar because she hasn't broken through at a grand slam yet. It's probably a blessing. Shell rise soon enough.

·
Registered
14,705 Posts
Everyone is penciling Svitolina in to the second round. This is Whitney's time to shine.

·
Registered
10,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #252
Everyone is penciling Svitolina in to the second round. This is Whitney's time to shine.
I'm sure hoping so, I would love too see her & Vee play in the second round, but one match at a time gotta get past Svitolina first which is a big test.

·
Registered
55,971 Posts
US Open

R1 vs Svitolina

:hug: Svitolina was too strong. But a good lesson. She learned a lot.

1:17 What a great and long match point ! :drool: :worship:

·
Registered
10,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #255
^ Yeah she got an LL spot but lost to Elise Mertens 6-3 6-1. Whitney Form hasn't been so good since losing that match too Ann Li back in May during the clay swing. I think Whitney needs to go back down to ITF, to regain some form and get more match play.

·
Registered
8,381 Posts
Yeah, Whitney has been out of sorts for awhile. Did she have a small injury after clay season?? I don't think she played much after that. Trying to qualify for a Premier is lofty, I give her credit, but she is not quite in the good form to do so. Perhaps some MM or higher level ITF's. She is soo close to Top 100, and would probably love to break that before year end. I know players in her ranking would love to finish the year within the AO Maindraw ranks.

·
Registered
55,971 Posts

·
Registered
55,971 Posts

·
Registered
10,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #259
Tough lost for Whitney losing 6-3 4-6 1-6 to Martina Di Giuseppe, I think it time for Whitney to drop back down to ITF to gain match wins

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
Has anything happened to Whitney in her personal life since May 2019, or was it just a case progressing a bit too much too soon? No shame in losing today to a top 100 clay courter like SST (on clay), although 6-1 6-2 isn't ideal, but her record since RG 2019 is pretty almarming for a current top 100-150 player - she's now literally 1-16 against top 250 players since then, the only (top 250) player she beat in that period was Ellen Perez, and even that was 7-6 in the third, and that's also not including other defeats in that time to Loeb and Min (who were both outside the top 250). Most were in straight sets as well.

She's not even 18 and a half yet, so plenty of time to get back on track, but a bit concerning that the COVID break hasn't seemed to make any difference, and her results are like night and day compared to the player who beat Bencic and Haddad Maia en route to the Tyler W80 title 2 years ago, and obviously that great green clay run just prior to RG 2019.

241 - 260 of 268 Posts