Tennis Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any news on the closing and/or demolition of this historic facility? I was down in Oz in January, and tried to find it, but couldn't- later found an article on the web saying they were having all kinds of trouble keeping it going- never heard if it closed. Any update from Oz would be greatly appreciated!!! :bounce:

· Registered
11,065 Posts
i'm a member. it's functioning as normal. there are plans to redevelop the site adding an apartment complex on the sydney harbour side of the grounds where the rebound ace courts are, but it is highly unlikely that such a development would be approved by the council and the nsw planning commission considering the historic value of the site. there is also quite a vocal group of people objectioningto the plans.

the main problem is that at the moment the club is running at a loss, so it makes it hard to resist the monetary benefits of allowing the re-develop. i doubt, however, that much will happen, in the short term at least. it is actually quite a confusing situation because originally the board was really pro-development, but then they saw it wasn't going to be as good for them as they thought, so they kind of did a 180 on the issue.

i hope things stay as they are really, as i love the fact that we have every maor surface, and if re-development occured it would inevitably impact on the number of courts we have

· Banned
68 Posts
i played their around this time last year for trials to get in2 a team and it looked alright...i didnt really think it needed renovating etc but it is quite old compared to other sites....

i still remember watching lindsay play mary joe there one year :p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.