Tennis Forum banner

Who will lose in the third round?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last thread before the R16. Only @goat predicted the Kerber loss (don't know if they voted before or after, though).

Things get very interesting this round.

(1) Barty vs. (WC) Dart
(2) Osaka
(3) Pliskova vs. (28) Hsieh
(4) Bertens vs. Strycova
(5) Kerber
(6) Kvitova vs. Linette
(7) Halep vs. Azarenka
(8) Svitolina vs. (31) Sakkari
(9) Stephens vs. (19) Konta
(10) Sabalenka

·
Registered
115,438 Posts
Stephens Svitolina and Halep all at risk

·
Registered
17,931 Posts
Pliskova, Bertens, Halep, Svitolina, Stephens are at the highest risk of getting knocked out - they play very good players.

Kvitova and Barty I would be surprised to see lose - especially Barty.

·
Registered
12,663 Posts
Apart from Barty and Kvitova, everyone else will have a hard time. :shrug:

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stephens feels like a 90% certainty because of how Konta is serving plus the 2019 H2H will give the latter confidence.

Feels like Svitolina's time to go too.

Bertens will probably be lifted by today, so I predict she'll hang around a little longer.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I honestly expect everybody except Barty and Stephens, and possibly Kvitova to lose. Everyone else either has question marks in terms of form (e.g. Bertens) or is likely to have their weaknesses on the surface exposed (e.g. Pliskova). I see a bloodbath coming.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I honestly expect everybody except Barty and Stephens, and possibly Kvitova to lose. Everyone else either has question marks in terms of form (e.g. Bertens) or is likely to have their weaknesses on the surface exposed (e.g. Pliskova). I see a bloodbath coming.
You think Stephens beats Konta at home and with their 2019 H2H?

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Honestly I'm just surprised, very impressed I might add, that we made it this far with 7 top 10 players. This time last year we were I believe down to 3, so a big improvement Wimbledon 2019 over 2018.

·
Registered
16,387 Posts
Everyone but Barty and Kvitova.

·
Registered
That Woman
4,220 Posts
Barty and Kvitova are the only two I imagine will have an easy go of it, in Kvitova's case with the caveat if her injury remains under control.

As for upset watch....

I'd imagine Konta and Azarenka are probably favorites over Stephens and Halep, Konta to a greater extent by virtue of the crowd, the surface, and the h2h, and Azarenka just slightly because Halep has looked incredibly ordinary thus far, and Azarenka can do things on this surface.

Hsieh has a very good opportunity to do what Puig couldn't and force Pliskova to bend, and also to create pace from nothing even if the ball sits up, so that's definitely one to watch.

Sakkari is due for a R16 appearance at a major, and while I wouldn't have pegged it for grass, Svitolina hasn't looked good in ages.

Strycova can do everything Townsend did to disrupt Bertens' game and then some, and Strycova's not a part-timer like Townsend, so won't hesitate to go for the jugular. That said, I think Bertens has played her 'bad' match of the tournament and will now be a tougher out.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Last thread before the R16. Only @goat predicted the Kerber loss (don't know if they voted before or after, though).

Things get very interesting this round.

(1) Barty vs. (WC) Dart
(2) Osaka
(3) Pliskova vs. (28) Hsieh
(4) Bertens vs. Strycova
(5) Kerber
(6) Kvitova vs. Linette
(7) Halep vs. Azarenka
(8) Svitolina vs. (31) Sakkari
(9) Stephens vs. (19) Konta
(10) Sabalenka
I voted before. Was gonna vote for Ash too to counter it but I'm content :p

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Heads up, I got this prediction wrong.... Svitolina and Halep to crumble?

Predicted svitovlina and checked the score and she was a set up ?

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
21 others wrong about Halep, too.

Stephens seems like the only one who will bow out this round (maybe Bertens).

·
Registered
That Woman
4,220 Posts
Barty and Kvitova are the only two I imagine will have an easy go of it, in Kvitova's case with the caveat if her injury remains under control.

As for upset watch....

I'd imagine Konta and Azarenka are probably favorites over Stephens and Halep, Konta to a greater extent by virtue of the crowd, the surface, and the h2h, and Azarenka just slightly because Halep has looked incredibly ordinary thus far, and Azarenka can do things on this surface.

Hsieh has a very good opportunity to do what Puig couldn't and force Pliskova to bend, and also to create pace from nothing even if the ball sits up, so that's definitely one to watch.

Sakkari is due for a R16 appearance at a major, and while I wouldn't have pegged it for grass, Svitolina hasn't looked good in ages.

Strycova can do everything Townsend did to disrupt Bertens' game and then some, and Strycova's not a part-timer like Townsend, so won't hesitate to go for the jugular. That said, I think Bertens has played her 'bad' match of the tournament and will now be a tougher out.
Wow, the Halep-Azarenka match went RADICALLY differently than I expected.

Hsieh definitely managed to make the Pliskova match interesting, so I don't feel badly about that prediction either.

Sakkari isn't a natural grass courter, that's for sure, but Svitolina did well to hold her off. I still am unconvinced by her form, but here she is in the 4th round, with a winnable match against Petra Martic next.

Hopefully Barty and Kvitova make my predictions look a little better....

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
I voted Kerber would lose in R1...does that count? I have the receipt. :bounce:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts