Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know many people will be surprised by my answer but personnally i would say that she played her best tennis in Sydney in 2000 when she beat consecutively Pierce,Hingis and Davenport without losing a set.
More than the results themselves,it was the way she was playing in those 3 matches(especially against Davenport) which was unbelievable: she was playing so agressively(much more than after 2001) and was hitting winners from both wings(her FH was much more penetrating back then) and almost everytime.
I know she won much bigger titles than that few years after but to me,it was the tournament where she probably played her best tennis,especially from the baseline.

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
I remember her playing really well at Wimbledon in '05, although she didn't win the title she was close to beating Linzi in the SF.

·
Registered
13,193 Posts
For me it was Wimbledon 06 it's like everything came together for her and she was unbelievably brilliant at net and of course answered her critics after the Oz open final. Although todays victory and performance as a whole this week wasn't bad either certainly worth the wait.

·
Registered
15,719 Posts
Mauresmo is a difficult player for me.......Whenever, I see her play it never appears to me like she is that much greater than her opponents. I understand that wins she tournaments, but it is never in convincing fashion. Why???

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
Wimbledon 2006. I was so certain Justine would win I didn't even bother waking up to view the match (I'm not a morning person haha). Watching it on tape delay left my jaw open. She really came into her own and refused to go away.

·
Registered
14,232 Posts
Well back in 1999/2000 Mauresmo had a far more power-oriented game than she does today. I'm not sure how or why
it exactly changed, but I would guess that Momo's current game is part of the reason for her longevity; she was in the top ten for a LONG time.

It worked out well for her because she won two slams with that game. I would say Wimbledon 2006 is the best she's ever played: she won it, she opened with a double bagel, she was world number one and coped with all the pressure, she beat Sharapova and Justine in three; her game just came together so well. The grass courts suit Mauresmo's game to a tee when she's confident, she was a potential tournament winner in 2002, 2004, 2005 then won in 2006.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mauresmo is a difficult player for me.......Whenever, I see her play it never appears to me like she is that much greater than her opponents. I understand that wins she tournaments, but it is never in convincing fashion. Why???
I sort of agree with you and that's coming from a huge Momo fan.
BUT as i said,in Sydney in 2000,she really looked unbelievable and completely blowed off the court the likes of Hingis,Davenport and Pierce.

·
Registered
52,357 Posts
Wimbledon 2006. No question.

Reactions: AJZ.

·
Winner
14,940 Posts
I agree Sydney 2000 was an exceptional run from Amelie. She really discouraged Lindsay in that final.

I think Wimbledon is the tournament that Mauresmo regularly produced her best stuff. The surface, the atmosphere is just tailor made for her. Every year she just breezed through her early rounds, she was always the one who spent the least time on court going into the Quarters. And yes, considering the situation and everything, the 2006 Final was probably her career best performance.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well back in 1999/2000 Mauresmo had a far more power-oriented game than she does today. I'm not sure how or why
it exactly changed
I think it had something to do with the back injury she got in 2000.
After this injury(she had a back surgery),she became a much more defensive player(in term of baseline play,i mean) and her shots weren't as flat as they were before(especially her FH).

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
Wimbledon 2006. I was so certain Justine would win I didn't even bother waking up to view the match (I'm not a morning person haha). Watching it on tape delay left my jaw open. She really came into her own and refused to go away.
It's one of the few times where I thought that Mauresmo wasn't leaving that court without a title.
At the same time, I also felt that Justine didn't have the belief to win.

She was playing as she thought she needed to win Wimbledon, which didn't come natural to her while it did come natural to Amelie.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I liked the Aus Open in 99 semifinals where she defeated Davenport
Unexpected for me and the first full match I watched of hers. I was very impressed and the ball striking from both players were excellent

·
Registered
10,717 Posts
I would definitely agree Wimbledon in 2005 and 2006. In 2005 she had the game to win it but came up short, in 2006 she put it all together. I was lucky to see her play at Wimbledon in both 2005 and 2006 and her serve and volley game and athleticism was incredible to watch live.

And I also say Antwerp, those two finals against clijsters in 2006 and 2007 were incredible - beating Clisjters twice in front of her rowdy home crowd - that was Amelie at her best.

·
it's just me against the music.
27,316 Posts
I was most impressed with Amelie's game in Wimbledon 2005. Wimbledon 2006 was more mental than anything else but it was a lovely sight to see such beautiful grass tennis. Oh and Amelie stopping Justine from the career slam. :p

Amelie on grass is heaven. Amelie actually played very well in Melbourne in 2006. All the retirements ruined it for her, though. In fact, I think she would have beaten Kim and Justine without the retirements. (We know she was going to beat Justine but I do think she would have held on to defeat Kim.)

·
Gone but Never Forgotten
9,486 Posts
For me it was Wimbledon 2006. Having seen her first three matches there, I had a feeling she'd go a lot farther. Her second round match against Stosur was probably the most beautiful match I've ever seen her play :)

·
Banned
15,542 Posts
She s able to play amazingly well when she can put a real physical engagement without being bothered by an injury.
When she's at 100% she 's just pure joy to watch.
Of course she is very performant on grass cause her game suits very well for the surface but if I have to name another tournament on other surface I would say Berlin 2004.
She was just so impressive on a surface that also suit her game very well because of her top spin backhand.
I still remember that she won the tournament without dropping any set and giving jennifer capriati something like a 6-2 6-0 in the semi finale.

She was very impressive there and even if she never succeed to reproduce the same level of play at roland garros, I m convinced her game can be efficient on clay.She just has to believe in her.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts