Tennis Forum banner

Which was more random - Puig winning the Olympics or Ostapenko winning RG?

• Puig winning the Olympics

• Ostapenko winning RG

Results are only viewable after voting.
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
13,859 Posts
I'm very pleased for Monica and for her country that she won the gold medal but her win was definitely the more random. I would be amazed if she won anorther gold medal or slam title but I wouldn't be amazed of Jelena won another slam (although I wouldn't be amazed if she didn't either).

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Ostapenko win was absolutely shocking. Stop acting like if she was destined to win a GS title. I think she will never be back to the top 10 or a slam SF

·
Registered
156 Posts
I’m surprised that so many posters are talking like Ostapenko winning RG was almost expected. She has never won a single match there apart from her win there. Not one, including juniors! In fact she was beaten quite easily by Kozlova of all players in 2018 and washed-up Azarenka in 2019, whose worst surface is clay, again quite easily both matches in straights. In fact I don’t think that she would have won had Stosur not become injured in their firth round match.

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
Both were shocking results at the time and it's hard to set them apart solely based on that. But at least Ostapenko was younger, and backed up her win with great results the following 12 months.

I'd have to pick Puig, whose win is much more random in the scheme of things and less likely to ever be backed up by another big win

·
Registered
216 Posts
Puig easily. Ostapenko had shown she was a dangerous hitter of the ball in the past, she’d never been able to do it for a full tournament before but had shown that kind of level before. Puig really hadn’t.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I don't think either of them were random wins, but if one was then probably it was Jelena's.

Monica really, really wanted that Olympic title, so she was super-motivated throughout the tournament. I believe her when she said she was doing it for her country and to give them something to cheer about during the hard times they were dealing with. Also, I think it should be said that the field was somewhat depleted because of the Zika virus that people like Simona Halep and Karo Pliskova said they were afraid of catching (apparently it can give rise to birth defects, though the chance of any of the players catching it turned out to be small).

Some players have a tournament where just everything goes right for them (like Goran Ivanisevic at Wimbledon in 2001), and the 2017 French Open was Jelena's. As even Simona admitted in her after-match press conference, at times she was just a spectator out there during their final; in particular, Jelena crushed Simona's serve in the final set (including at match point).

After the semi-final she played against Timea Bacsinszky on their mutual birthday, Timea wondered in her press conference whether Jelena would still be hitting winners at 28 (her own age) like the one she hit to win that match. I'd like to think so but I suspect Timea was right and she won't.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Puig had the potential to do great things, as we saw at 2013 Wimbledon, so it wasn't the most shocking. Ostapenko's is more shocking considering she hadn't made a second week at a slam before.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Clearly Puig. She's literally done NOTHING since winning the gold medal. At least Ostapenko performed well at other events and was in the top 10.

·
Registered
12,150 Posts
Clearly Puig. She's literally done NOTHING since winning the gold medal. At least Ostapenko performed well at other events and was in the top 10.
But only reason she was in top10 were the points from her flukish slam... She benefited from it even long after they were gone (getting better seedings, easier draws etc.)... Had she never won that slam, she could've only dream about top10...

61 - 71 of 71 Posts