Tennis Forum banner

Which is the worst H2H?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

· Registered
86,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's analyse/discuss this in terms of their game styles. Why they couldn't do well against their fellow top 10 player?:oh:

Azarenka vs S. Williams 1-10
Sharapove vs S. Williams 2-9
Radwanska vs Azarenka 3-11
Radwanska vs Sharapova 2-7
Li vs Stosur 0-6
Stosur vs Azarenka 0-7
Stosur vs Sharapova 1-10
Bartoli vs Sharapova 0-5
Bartoli vs Radwanska 0-7
Errani vs Li 0-5

(Credit to rrfnpump for the H2H record for my reference.:oh:)

· Registered
35,854 Posts
I picked Bartoli - Radwanska because IMO Bartoli has the tools to find a way past Radwanska without much trouble.

· Registered
5,748 Posts
I picked bartoli/radwanska. With Bartoli's serve and heavy groundstrokes she should have gotten atleast one win over Radwanska by now. Every big hitter does.

Other h2h that can be explained is Stosur losing record vs Azarenka/Sharapova. Her serve usually doesn't cause too much trouble for tall players, and they return it well.

Conversely, she has a winning h2h over Li because Li can't return it as well, she's shorter. She's gotten a few wins over Serena for the same reason.

Serena's winning h2h vs Azarenka/Sharapova has been explained millions of times. They don't have the serve to trouble her, don't have the power to trouble her and don't move well enough to trouble her either.

· Registered
32,950 Posts
I picked bartoli/radwanska. With Bartoli's serve and heavy groundstrokes she should have gotten atleast one win over Radwanska by now. Every big hitter does.

Other h2h that can be explained is Stosur losing record vs Azarenka/Sharapova. Her serve usually doesn't cause too much trouble for tall players, and they return it well.

Conversely, she has a winning h2h over Li because Li can't return it as well, she's shorter. She's gotten a few wins over Serena for the same reason.

Serena's winning h2h vs Azarenka/Sharapova has been explained millions of times. They don't have the serve to trouble her, don't have the power to trouble her and don't move well enough to trouble her either.
Defense is one reason, but the main reason is that Azarenka/Sharapova play baseline power tennis at the same pace at a perfect height for Serena most of the time. To beat Serena you need to mix it up, keep the balls low, change pace, move her back and forth, not just left and right. Sharapova and Azarenka just lack that weirdness or variety in their game to confuse Serena.

That´s why Kerber, Stosur, Radwanska, Wozniacki did better. (When on) Stosur´s mixture of heavy forehand, slice backhand, and flat backhand down the line is really the most confusing mix for Serena. Kerber hits a lot of different length in her groundstrokes, the crosscourt forehand is extremely flat and short, the backhand cc is extremely flat and deep. Her 1st serve also varies a lot. Can be hard or percentage (for example unlike Errani, who always has the same pace like clockwork). Radwanska is similar to Kerber and with Wozniacki it´s just the plain unpredictability of her forehand shanks combined with a flat backhand and good defense.

To beat Serena I feel you need to keep her off balance and guessing all match. She can never know what you´ll do next. Then the errors come and the serve might follow. If she finds a rhythm you are dead regardless of how good your serve, power or defense is, because hers is better.

Reactions: Renalicious

· Banned
13,538 Posts
Defense is one reason, but the main reason is that Azarenka/Sharapova play baseline power tennis at the same pace at a perfect height for Serena most of the time. To beat Serena you need to mix it up, keep the balls low, change pace, move her back and forth, not just left and right. Sharapova and Azarenka just lack that weirdness or variety in their game to confuse Serena.

That´s why Kerber, Stosur, Radwanska, Wozniacki did better. (When on) Stosur´s mixture of heavy forehand, slice backhand, and flat backhand down the line is really the most confusing mix for Serena. Kerber hits a lot of different length in her groundstrokes, the crosscourt forehand is extremely flat and short, the backhand cc is extremely flat and deep. Her 1st serve also varies a lot. Can be hard or percentage (for example unlike Errani, who always has the same pace like clockwork). Radwanska is similar to Kerber and with Wozniacki it´s just the plain unpredictability of her forehand shanks combined with a flat backhand and good defense.

To beat Serena I feel you need to keep her off balance and guessing all match. She can never know what you´ll do next. Then the errors come and the serve might follow. If she finds a rhythm you are dead regardless of how good your serve, power or defense is, because hers is better.
Very well said. But I still think that Sharapova and Vika shouldn't lose basically 1 and 3 everytime they meet Serena, they're just being too shitty sometimes to challenge her a lil more.

· Registered
35,854 Posts
I picked bartoli/radwanska. With Bartoli's serve and heavy groundstrokes she should have gotten atleast one win over Radwanska by now.
:yeah:

· Registered
35,854 Posts
Very well said. But I still think that Sharapova and Vika shouldn't lose basically 1 and 3 everytime they meet Serena,
Huh?? Azarenka just took Williams to a 3 setter. Oh and she took her to a 2nd set TB at Wimbledon.

· Registered
35,854 Posts
She did not choke. She finally paid for her limited game against a superior player in the zone.
:facepalm: Of course she choked. That was obvious. And limited game? :lol: Are you serious. About the only thing Azarenka really lacks is a good serve.

· Worshipping the bangs
62,809 Posts
She did not choke. She finally paid for her limited game against a superior player in the zone.
She DF twice while serving for the match. That's a choke, and in a match as tight as that one it takes nothing from Serena to say so.

Reactions: MrProdigy555
1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.