41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
You are not likeable,but I like you
4,261 Posts
Ameile Island

·
EXPRESS YOURSELF
7,941 Posts
Stanford, it was so fast. Sydney given it’s my local tournament too (except after she won it my fave never bothered to come back). Sydney’s attendance was definitely falling the final years though, since 2012 when I first went, the stadium was half full unless Tomic was playing :sick:

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Stanford, it was so fast.
YES! All the California summer hardcourt events played faster than the molasses-slow courts the Midwest and East Coast inflict on us nowadays. The golden era of Stanford-Los Angeles-San Diego was the only hardcourt swing I genuinely enjoyed.

Forget the griping about slowing down grass, it's the slowing down of American hardcourts that drives me most crazy.

·
Registered
8,562 Posts
I definitely miss Stanford (and the other Californian US Open Series events for that matter). The timezone wasn't ideal but it always marked the beginning for the HC season. I feel really nostalgic thinking about these tournaments. I remember watching some Stanford matches via the college livestream back in the day when proper streaming wasn't available from day 1. :D
Oh man, those crappy streams with links you copied into Windows Media Player, sometiems they had spider webs on the cameras.

At least it was one of the few tournamets you could watch everything.

·
La Divina Assoluta
11,217 Posts
I really miss Filderstadt. The surface was so slick that it could make anyone's game look better than it was. Amelia Island was always a very picturesque tournament that was well attended and it always felt like a nice opener to the clay-court season.

Paris Indoors was another great tournament, mainly for the same reasons as I mentioned for Filderstadt. Stanford was also a great surface for women's tennis, even if sometimes the venue felt a little contained.

·
Registered
17,784 Posts
YES! All the California summer hardcourt events played faster than the molasses-slow courts the Midwest and East Coast inflict on us nowadays. The golden era of Stanford-Los Angeles-San Diego was the only hardcourt swing I genuinely enjoyed.

Forget the griping about slowing down grass, it's the slowing down of American hardcourts that drives me most crazy.
I’ve always thought Cincy and Montreal were faster than others, no?

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
The stream in Stanford was funny :) At least we had the opportunity to see some matches from the beginning of the tournament and the webcam quality was not that bad for the standards in 2008-2010.

IMO Filderstadt could still exist as an International tournament in autumn. When I visited this tournament in 2004, it was well organized and had a lot space for other stuffs like restaurants. But we are not living in a perfect world :cry:

·
Registered
999 Posts
Amelia Island for sure! And not just because of the memorable 2000 tournament I was lucky to attend for a couple days.
The weather wreaked havoc that week though, so I missed the exciting (but very late in the evening) Kornikova/Suarez match that Paola won but still got to see Schnyder edge Testud in two tiebreaks (Sandrine just wasn’t quite herself and looked tense and irritated) and Anna Smashnova give Monica Seles everything she could until a first set tiebreak that Monica swept 7-0 and then dispensed her with a bagel. It was an inevitable win but up until that tiebreak, the crowd really thought an upset might happen.......
Alas, I’m babbling.
The facility is still the most beautiful setting for tennis that you could imagine.

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
Warsaw

41 - 53 of 53 Posts